Should "running" be part of your MA training?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, for me I see everything as part of my martial training, including the running and weight lifting. Why do you consider them separate?
I'm in between those points. I keep some cardio/interval training (and even a bit of strength work) within my MA training. For some reason, however, I've never viewed my running, hiking, workouts at the gym, yoga, and other stuff as part of my MA training. There's no reason it isn't. In fact, it really is part of the same mindset. But I've never competed in MA, so I've never had that direct tie. In fact, now that I consider it, I've always thought of it the other way around: my MA training is part of how I keep fit. Odd, now that I ponder it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm not sure I see the connection between 5 miles a day and competing in a tournament. There are other ways than running that much to get one's wind up, and it's arguable that distance running at that level isn't developing the best type of endurance for those matches.

He was likely competing in the 70s, believe it or not, he is older than me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've not said anyone should be turned away, its the society we live in , every one gets a prize, turn up for 6 months and get a belt.

Oh dear.

Maxim to remember ...... old and sneaky beats young and fit any day because I didn't get this old by being gentle, sweet and nice.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh dear.

Maxim to remember ...... old and sneaky beats young and fit any day because I didn't get this old by being gentle, sweet and nice.
notice your not saying old sneaky and chronically unfit beats young strong athletic and lightning fast

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
notice your not saying old sneaky and chronically unfit beats young strong athletic and lightning fast

Judging someone by their 'fitness' and medical problems is a very good way to get thumped. I've seen ripped young men who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag and I've seen someone with one lung beat down a much younger person. 'Unfit' doesn't mean useless or unable to drop someone, it means actually because they will probably only have one shot at it they have become very very good with that one shot.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Judging someone by their 'fitness' and medical problems is a very good way to get thumped. I've seen ripped young men who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag and I've seen someone with one lung beat down a much younger person. 'Unfit' doesn't mean useless or unable to drop someone, it means actually because they will probably only have one shot at it they have become very very good with that one shot.
judging someone by their lack of obvious muscle is a good way to get thumped, judging someone who is obviously unfit is fairly safe unless you walk on to a sucker punch , just dance around a bit till they gas up

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
judging someone by their lack of obvious muscle is a good way to get thumped, judging someone who is obviously unfit is fairly safe unless you walk on to a sucker punch , just dance around a bit till they gas up
That last part will only work if they play your game and try to hit you while you "dance around". If they are good, they'll be patient and wait for you to either move into their range on a downbeat, or just let you dance until you reach their fitness level. :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yes i see your point, but if you follow it through to it logical conclusion, you will end up with a class full of black belts that can hardly walk, there surely has to be a minimum fitness level associated with each level of grade .
I see it differently I'm 58 and I used to be fat weak and slow , now I'm not because I took my marshal arts seriously, if I'm not fit enough to wear a belt with honour I don't want it given to me out of sympathy

That's very insulting.

I also find the fact that you mention "honour" amusing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That last part will only work if they play your game and try to hit you while you "dance around". If they are good, they'll be patient and wait for you to either move into their range on a downbeat, or just let you dance until you reach their fitness level. :D
that's not really a fight though is it, standing there till someone comes in range. It doesn't alter the fact that fighting is an athletic activerty, and while being fit doesn't make you a good fighter, you cant be a good fighter if you have no athletic ability. I seen lot of fight abandoned after two minutes , as both sides are to exhausted to carry on. Fine if you have a killer right hand and you can land it, not so if he smashed you in the nose and doggies out of range

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's very insulting.

I also find the fact that you mention "honour" amusing.
im sorry if you find it insulting, it wasn't meant to be, but belts for long service are a fact of the ma world

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ah the words of the over confident.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
as are accusations about peoples rank who you truly know nothing about beyond a web post and assumptions. And yes I am with Buka on this.
who have accused?,I mearly said I wouldn't accept a sympathy belt, not that any particular individual had such. Seems I might have hit a nerve here

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah the words of the over confident.
I'm anything but I've put a lot of effort in to my fitness so I can be confident in my abilities at an advanced age, over confidence is what a few here are displaying by thinking their skills will make up for a lack of conditioning

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Define "obviously unfit," please? :rolleyes:

finding a fat bloke that can run a bit is hardly indicative of fat people general being fast on their feet.
you want a defintion of unfit? Someone who fall below the 4 th quartile of any of the numerous fitness indexis for their age
obviously unfit you would put your last pound on the fact they can't run a 10 minute mile bench press their own weight or of manage 5 mins of skipping