should I tell my karate teacher I'm joining a Bjj school instead.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
. I want to do the appropriate thing here.
Do you have a contract or membership agreement in place? The honorable thing would be to not walk on the contract. If you don't have one, then it's a matter of courtesy and respect, IMNSHO. Have a talk with your instructor and explain the situation.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I apologize if I am restating what somebody else has already said, as I didn't have time to read the previous responses yet. To answer your question, I think you should tell your instructor, as you have been with him or her for a long time and it would be professional courtesy. To add to your question, I think to grow in the martial arts you should seek out training in other disciplines, as you are already very accomplished in your initial art (Arnis) and a lot of higher ranking material is repeating what was previously taught.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You definitely should tell your sensei that you are leaving for the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school.

The truth is going to come out sooner or later, and it's much better if he hears it from you. If your instructor has put in that much time and effort teaching you, and bringing you up to where you are, then it would be at least respectful to let him know what your intentions are.

It's a great disappointment when an advanced student quits, for sure. However, there's no need to make feelings any harder than what they are already going to be. If your instructor finds out "through the grapevine" the real reason why you left, then it's definitely going to leave harder feelings.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It would be nice to tell him as apposed to just leaving without notice. Nonetheless though what you choose to do is your decision. Good luck to you.

cborde

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi John,
I think as a general courtesy, you should tell him. I think if you've spent enough time with him to earn a nidan, he would appreciate the head's up.

As a side note, a lot of traditional schools are losing students to MMA and BJJ schools as they gain popularity, at least where I'm at. Perhaps he's feeling that crunch as well. He may want your feedback so that he can figure out some level of retention strategy.

My .02. Hope it all works out.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been at my Karate/Eskrima school for 6 years and have attained 2nd degree black. I attend regularly and additionally have a weekly private lesson with my sensei. There are 2 martial arts schools in my smallish to medium sized town, the other being BJJ. I have recently joined this BJJ school and intend to quit my Karate/Eskrima school. The question is should I tell my sensei that I'm leaving his school to join the other, Bjj school. This may hurt his feeling, piss him off, disappoint him or something of this nature. Or should I just leave without telling him about the joining. I want to do the appropriate thing here.
If I was your instructor for 6 years, I would like to know.

It also depends on the school and instructor. A friend of mine, brown belt, once stopped training for 3 months, without explanation, and he was not easily accepted back. Actually, he needed to go another school of the same organisation...

OP
J

johnT

White Belt
Reaction score
Well it's been awhile since posting this but I just went to my teacher and told him that I was going to the BJJ school, which I already did a couple of months ago. It went well. He wished me the best. I asked if he would be willing to continue private lessons which his response was he would like to but the head of the school, the owner, who we never see, doesn't allow private lessons for non members. That does seem a little odd to me but I can definitely see the owner saying something like this. We are allowed 1 free class per month for black belts from my now former school which is nice and I will be taking them up on that. Thanks to all who replied. It did make it easier to phrase things that you all suggested.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been at my Karate/Eskrima school for 6 years and have attained 2nd degree black. I attend regularly and additionally have a weekly private lesson with my sensei. There are 2 martial arts schools in my smallish to medium sized town, the other being BJJ. I have recently joined this BJJ school and intend to quit my Karate/Eskrima school. The question is should I tell my sensei that I'm leaving his school to join the other, Bjj school. This may hurt his feeling, piss him off, disappoint him or something of this nature. Or should I just leave without telling him about the joining. I want to do the appropriate thing here.
Be honest. Besides, it there are only 2 schools in a smallish town he will find out anyway. Be up front and you can keep the conversation honest and on your terms.

Latest Discussions