Should I be germophobic or ?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
And can I add wash your Gi or whatever you train in, we had a guy who just took off his Gi, screwed it up and threw it in his bag until the next time he trained. Ugh.

Tide is a Gi's best buddy next to the one who wears it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bottom line - it comes down to the guy that runs the dojo. I don't care if it's the Chief Instructor, the owner, "the Master" the landlord or Santa fricken Claus. The guy that runs the dojo bears ALL responsibility for keeping it safe. If you don't want that responsibility, don't run a God damn dojo.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have used vinegar in the laundry for years. Helps eliminate odors. i just use laundry soap and vinegar. I put a cup in the wash and a quarter cup in the rinse, The wash helps with smell and the rinse helps get all the soap out so the Gi doesn't get stiff when it dries.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stuff like ringworm can be common in grappling. When I wrestled in high school, most guys on my team had it once or twice. My wrestling partner and I never got it. my coach wasn't diligent enough about kicking guys out of practice until it cleared up.

Make sure the mats are thoroughly cleaned with the right stuff, your partners are free of course contagious stuff, and their and your clothes are clean.

I worked as an athletic trainer (sports medicine) during the 2001 NCAA Div I national championship. I think it was 2001; it was when Cael Sanderson finished his career undefeated.

The team of dermatologists at weigh-ins was astounding. It was like prison inspections in there. A few guys were disqualified before they stepped onto the mat for stuff like staph and herpes (non-genatal).

I'm still mentally scared from that experience.

OP
O

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The OP hasn't posted anything here in a month and a half. I'm worried that he may have caught Ebola and perished. That's always a risk when the gym doesn't clean the mats frequently enough.:dead:
Nope still alive lol. Just busy with work, class etc as you see from my other post.

OP
O

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So you claim. How do we know you're not actually a ghost, doomed to forever walk the mats where you caught Ebola?
Hmmmm well if I was a ghost id be invisible and umm then probably I could pull off some slick submissions on everyone in class and they would be like "what the??!". Wait that wont happen, maybe I am a ghost!

Latest Discussions