Shorin Ji Ryu

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kimpatsu-

there is a difference between arguing and questioning. So far, the only person I've seen arguing here is you.

You have no real idea of what anyone else on this board knows unless you know them personally.

You don't need to be a doctor to have a fundamental understanding of how your body works, you don't need to be a lawyer to have an understanding of your rights. You don't need to be a lifelong TKD student to have more than an idea of what TKD's all about... you just need to observe it enough and be exposed to it. Same deal with any other martial art.... you don't have to be a lifelong student to have an understanding of what its all about.

if you want to be here to answer questions, fine.... but please, you've been asked repeatedly to lose the attitude. There is a fine line between acceptable pride in your own accomplishments, knowledge and talent, and ego and attitude taken too far... please pause a moment, re-read what others here have written to you, and evaluate which side of the line you are currently standing on.

-Nightingale

ps... are the basic motions in shorinji kenpo more linear, circular, or both?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
Pity it wasn't funny.
You should write speeches for the president... :rolleyes:

**** Wonders if Tony writes speaches for politicians ****

Gee Tony,

I just replied like you did once or twice. Since you thought it was funny elsewhere I thought you like it, and smile.

If I have insulted or hurt you, I did not mean too.

**** Wonders if Tony was trying to be funny or insulting on his replies. ****

Enjoy :)

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by nightingale8472
You have no real idea of what anyone else on this board knows unless you know them personally.
Wrong, I can evaluate what they know by the accuracy of their statements.
You don't need to be a doctor to have a fundamental understanding of how your body works, you don't need to be a lawyer to have an understanding of your rights. You don't need to be a lifelong TKD student to have more than an idea of what TKD's all about... you just need to observe it enough and be exposed to it. Same deal with any other martial art.... you don't have to be a lifelong student to have an understanding of what its all about.
Wrong again. If you think you understand Shorinji Kempo, answer the following:
What is the meaning of bu and the essence of budo?
What is the difference between tsuki ten san and keri ten san?
What is the difference between harai uke geri and gedan gaeshi?
If you can't answer these questions, how can you presume to know anything about Shorinji Kempo?
Are you seriously telling me that you argue with your doctor's medical advice? Or your lawyers legal advice? They can't make you do what they say, but their expert opinion is in your best interest. The notion that you know as much as they do--that you are their equal in this matter-is extremely arrogant. Same if you really think you know more than I do about Shorinji Kempo.
if you want to be here to answer questions, fine.... but please, you've been asked repeatedly to lose the attitude. There is a fine line between acceptable pride in your own accomplishments, knowledge and talent, and ego and attitude taken too far... please pause a moment, re-read what others here have written to you, and evaluate which side of the line you are currently standing on.
The side of justice and truth. Any non-Kenshi who thinks they "understand" Shorinji Kempo is talking out of the wrong side of their anatomy.
are the basic motions in shorinji kenpo more linear, circular, or both?
Both. For example, giwaken movements are linear (forwards and back), and tenchiken movements are circular (chidori ashi, etc.)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny; hence the smilies. :cool:

Side Note Tony,

So why is it funny for you and not for me?

Was it the delivery?

Was it funny when you were not the subject?

You see Tony, you might have something to offer people and this board. Yet, I am trying to get an understanding of you nad your internet personality. :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I might note that physicians and lawyers give opinions and frequently contradict one another.

But, let's not argue about arguing!

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by arnisador
I might note that physicians and lawyers give opinions and frequently contradict one another.
But they are expert opinions, which carry more weight than those of lay people. Similarly, a Shorinji Kenshi will know more about Shorinji Kempo than a non-Kenshi.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok....then I have a simple solution.

Lets get more Kenshi over here...any I'm not talking about that Himura guy. :D

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
ok....then I have a simple solution.

Lets get more Kenshi over here...any I'm not talking about that Himura guy. :D
I shall enter into a recruitment drive immediately.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wrong, I can evaluate what they know by the accuracy of their statements.

perhaps... and perhaps not... for all you know, there could be a shorinji kenpo grand master on here who finds it amusing to quiz you... that's the beauty of the internet... you really don't know who I am, and I really don't know who you are. You just have to trust that I present myself honestly... get it?

Wrong again. If you think you understand Shorinji Kempo, answer the following:
What is the meaning of bu and the essence of budo?
What is the difference between tsuki ten san and keri ten san?
What is the difference between harai uke geri and gedan gaeshi?
If you can't answer these questions, how can you presume to know anything about Shorinji Kempo?

I've never presumed to know anything about shorinji kempo other than what you've presented here, which is, frankly, a lot of attitude and very little information.

Are you seriously telling me that you argue with your doctor's medical advice?

Damn straight I'll argue with my doctor. Nobody knows how my body feels better than me, because I'm inside it. For example: I've been having heartburn off and on for a few years. Finally told my doc about it. She referred me to a gastroenterologist. The GE told me that I was too young to have reflux, and that it was probably stress or panic attacks. BULL! After going several rounds with this fool, I changed doctors, and the new GE ran a test that showed through irrefutable evidence on the x-ray film that it was reflux all along.... if I'd believed the first doctor, I'd be on prozac instead of prilosec, and there's a BIG difference between the two. You can't just accept what people say without questioning and verifying. That's why we have brains. I like to use mine.

Or your lawyers legal advice?

I always get a second opinion. Most law offices will do a free consult.

They can't make you do what they say, but their expert opinion is in your best interest.

um... no... you see, most of the time, THEIR best interest happens to allign with YOUR best interest... but not all the time. There are many doctors who will order unnecessary tests to get insurance money, or not order enough tests to get insurance money. There are lawyers who will encourage you to sue someone when you don't have a chance of winning, because they get paid either way... and there are also many good ones out there too... the trick is finding them.

The notion that you know as much as they do--that you are their equal in this matter-is extremely arrogant. Same if you really think you know more than I do about Shorinji Kempo.

Again, I've never claimed to know ANYTHING about shorinji kempo. All I've claimed (and I know this for FACT) is that your attitude is putting people off, and that I'm not the only one saying that.

For example, giwaken movements are linear (forwards and back), and tenchiken movements are circular (chidori ashi, etc.)

Could you say this last phrase in English instead of half Japanese? I can read your words but have no clue what they mean, because I don't speak Japanese. If you must use the Japanese words, please translate them so I can understand. What do giwaken, tenchiken, chidori, and ashi mean?

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*thinking outloud.. Doctors just hang their license(s) on their wall.. I really want to see where they placed in their class and what their board scores were.. just because they have M.D. after their name.. doesn't mean they are the cream of the crop.. *

Lawyers too for that matter.

Just because someone has a title and many years under their belt.. does not make them a master of what they do.. I've been on this earth a long while.. and I learn things from people half my age on a daily basis.. Everyone has something to offer.. if we can only step aside from ourselves to listen and understand..

Tess

K

Kimpatsu

perhaps... and perhaps not... for all you know, there could be a shorinji kenpo grand master on here who finds it amusing to quiz you... that's the beauty of the internet... you really don't know who I am, and I really don't know who you are. You just have to trust that I present myself honestly... get it?
Doubtful, or you would agree with me over Shorinji Kempo-related issues. But I'll trust that you are exactly who you say you are.
I've never presumed to know anything about shorinji kempo other than what you've presented here, which is, frankly, a lot of attitude and very little information.
If you actually bothered to ask questions rather than presume to lecture me on what Shorinji Kempo is and isn't, I'll happily answer them. But it's incumbent on you to ask the questions with a sense of humility, so I can answer them. You don't want to learn; you're trying to teach me about Shorinji Kempo and Budo, which is plain daft.
Damn straight I'll argue with my doctor. Nobody knows how my body feels better than me, because I'm inside it. For example: I've been having heartburn off and on for a few years. Finally told my doc about it. She referred me to a gastroenterologist. The GE told me that I was too young to have reflux, and that it was probably stress or panic attacks. BULL! After going several rounds with this fool, I changed doctors, and the new GE ran a test that showed through irrefutable evidence on the x-ray film that it was reflux all along.... if I'd believed the first doctor, I'd be on prozac instead of prilosec, and there's a BIG difference between the two. You can't just accept what people say without questioning and verifying. That's why we have brains. I like to use mine.
You should use your brain properly. Assuming you know your body better than your doctor is plain daft. Your doc has been to medical school, you haven't. Just because you met one bad doctor doesn't invalidate the general argument that the medical profession knows more about the human body than you do. Assuming you do is very arrogant. But then, you think you know more about Shorinji Kempo than I do.
I always get a second opinion. Most law offices will do a free consult.
And again, that's expert opinion, which you don't have. They may disagree amongst each other, but two lawyers who disagree will still know more than you.
um... no... you see, most of the time, THEIR best interest happens to allign with YOUR best interest... but not all the time. There are many doctors who will order unnecessary tests to get insurance money, or not order enough tests to get insurance money. There are lawyers who will encourage you to sue someone when you don't have a chance of winning, because they get paid either way... and there are also many good ones out there too... the trick is finding them.
What insurance money? We have a national health service. The fact remains, doctors and lawyers who try to cheat you in that way are breaking the law. Such unethical practices are identified as such.
Again, I've never claimed to know ANYTHING about shorinji kempo. All I've claimed (and I know this for FACT) is that your attitude is putting people off, and that I'm not the only one saying that.
But your previous posts flatly contradict this, with you trying to tell me what Shorinji Kempo is! If people want to know about Shorinji Kempo, they can ask, but don't try to TELL me anything about an art of which you know nothing.
Could you say this last phrase in English instead of half Japanese? I can read your words but have no clue what they mean, because I don't speak Japanese. If you must use the Japanese words, please translate them so I can understand. What do giwaken, tenchiken, chidori, and ashi mean?
My point exactly; how can you presume to tell me about Shorinji Kempo when you don't even know the terminology?

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never tried to tell you ANYTHING about Shorinji Kenpo. I have no clue what you're talking about!

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by KenpoTess
*thinking outloud.. Doctors just hang their license(s) on their wall.. I really want to see where they placed in their class and what their board scores were.. just because they have M.D. after their name.. doesn't mean they are the cream of the crop.. *

Lawyers too for that matter.

Just because someone has a title and many years under their belt.. does not make them a master of what they do.. I've been on this earth a long while.. and I learn things from people half my age on a daily basis.. Everyone has something to offer.. if we can only step aside from ourselves to listen and understand..

Tess
A doctor will still know more about medicine than you do, Tess, and a lawyer more about the law. Similarly, a Shorinji Kenshi knows more about Shorinji Kempo.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A doctor will still know more about medicine than you do, Tess, and a lawyer more about the law. Similarly, a Shorinji Kenshi knows more about Shorinji Kempo.

I have no interest in comparing what I know and what you know Tony.. I was posting in a public forum..

K

Kimpatsu

I've never tried to tell you ANYTHING about Shorinji Kenpo. I have no clue what you're talking about!
Then why do you keep harrassing me?

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
all I've done is ask a few questions (that I still haven't gotten straight answers to).

K

Kimpatsu

all I've done is ask a few questions (that I still haven't gotten straight answers to).
What questions? You've defneded people who disagree with me, and made statements about misicology as if they were relevant to budo.
Let's start over. List your questions here, and numbering them would be a help, as I'll then answer your questions in the same format.

Latest Discussions