Shooting infants...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
is hard. Friend of mine came over today, offered her 1 yr old as practice subject. Did 2 sets, 2 outfits and 2 backgrounds (1 outfit & BG per set). Couldn't get 'it' the whole time. This is the 3rd rugrat I've tried to shoot, and just don't seem to have the knack to capture a seconds attention for a shot. Anyone got any tips for shooting infants? When I worked at PP they had some props and ticklers they used to get smiles and attention. I don't have any of that on hand right now.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're leading 'em too much. Infants don't usually move so fast... ;)

Best I've seen with my kid is just patience, persistence, a willingness to be silly, combined with a certain degree of dumb luck and native charm. Digital helps a lot, I think, because it's much easier to get lots of shots and more shots increases your odds of catching that magic instant.

I think it also helps a lot if the parents have a good sense of their kid, and their kid's timing. Pick the timing that the kid will be playful not cranky or tired...

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I see the "you don't lead them as much" joke has been taken care of. I'll just see myself out.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
is hard. Friend of mine came over today, offered her 1 yr old as practice subject. Did 2 sets, 2 outfits and 2 backgrounds (1 outfit & BG per set). Couldn't get 'it' the whole time. This is the 3rd rugrat I've tried to shoot, and just don't seem to have the knack to capture a seconds attention for a shot. Anyone got any tips for shooting infants? When I worked at PP they had some props and ticklers they used to get smiles and attention. I don't have any of that on hand right now.

Invest in some stuffed animals, the little ones really love them. If they're reeally small, a set of keys might do the trick. Something noisy and interesting.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Invest in some stuffed animals, the little ones really love them. If they're reeally small, a set of keys might do the trick. Something noisy and interesting.

This is a great idea. Anything that captures their attention, but you have to then be ready to take the pic fast. Have mom help with the attention getting. Also, infants will usually smile when they see their mom. Good luck! Infants are definitely difficult to photograph in a scheduled setting.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now that I think about it though, the response I usually get when entertaining little ones with keys is that they tend to reach for them. They don't smile, they get really concentrated on identifying what is making the noise and trying to get it.

Best bet would be a plush hand puppet in the shape of an animal. With a hand puppet you can brush the soft fur against the side of their head. That usually gets a smile.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
From personal experience, dressing like Santa OR the Easter Bunny will ensure the tykes scream in terror.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best shot of the 2 sets.

Attachments

• $web_0595.jpg
    $web_0595.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 186

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like that shot a lot... Like I said -- one thing I've discovered is that it takes lots and lots of pictures that are near misses to get one good one with an infant. For example, taking my kid to see Santa yesterday -- we took about 6 pictures, and got one good one.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is that poor child dressed in? It's so busy it drags the eye to it! Not your fault Bob but that's really bad dress sense lol!

Latest Discussions