sho tung kwa

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Considering that GM Villari has been reported as stating that this form as containing the essence of his shaolin kempo system. I thought a thread discussing it would be a great tool to understanding skk. My first question is about the three tiger strikes in the form. I was taught to do them while in a crane stance after the front ball kick....why stay in the crane to do these strikes? Was everyone taught this way?

Respectfully,
Marlon

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
The 1 thing that I have a, over all issue with Shaolin kempo is the movement of Balance and base at times in comb, Katas, ETC. I love Shaolin kempo and Hold a 3rd degree under master John Evans. But all of my Shaolin Forms and katas Have a Kosho influence so when you see them you can see 85% the same but also different. The one thing that changes is natural Law of movement in the forms. So I don't feel that in Sho Tung Kwa at that point you should be in a crane. ( maybe for a tournament) because it looks good, just my 2 cents. Love the Form.
and also in statue of the crane. That form has changed also so it still is the form but The movements are changed from jumping into a crane to shifting ones center with in the movement...
Marlon, also master evans will be at my dojo on 11/11/06
if you can you should come down as my guest.
steve
email me... hope all is well see you in N.J. this year

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, i do not think it looks good. However, i am loathe to change set things in the system without a claer understanding of why it is done this way. For the record my current instructor does not teach it this way...ie tigers with the crane. I am curious about the 'base' comment you made about this form, please elaborate about how you see this in the form and what it means to you

Respectfully,
Marlon

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Marlon, you really need to get some private lessons with Rebelo Sensei. I know we spoke briefly at the last gathering, but the ride once a week to New Bedford would be worth it. The Bunkai, variations, Chin-Na, etc...

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marlon, you really need to get some private lessons with Rebelo Sensei. I know we spoke briefly at the last gathering, but the ride once a week to New Bedford would be worth it. The Bunkai, variations, Chin-Na, etc...

Hello Shaun,
a five hour ride once a week would be a lot. Also, i get plenty from Prof.I i am hoping to get some discussions going and maybe catalogue various thoughts and concepts concering sk forms hear on martial talk, for info and as a resource for futur seekers.
training is truth

Respectfully,
Marlon

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
i will be writing out this form. and giving my 2 cents on the balance and in-balance of the form. Center line and Kosho Idears...this will take a few days so i will post it then...
Thanks,

Never move backwards to move forwards. and always move twice...
also Did you get my email? and sorry if I have you confused with someone else...

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am NOT in any way saying that Professor Ingargiola is anything less than an incredible martial Arts Instructor. Actually, at the time of my post, I wasn't even thinking of whom you trained with. That said, I do 3 hours, sometimes 2x a week to train with Joe ;)

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
i will be writing out this form. and giving my 2 cents on the balance and in-balance of the form. Center line and Kosho Idears...this will take a few days so i will post it then...
Thanks,

Never move backwards to move forwards. and always move twice...
also Did you get my email? and sorry if I have you confused with someone else...

Hi Steve,
i think you have the right person. I enjoyed your material on the folding arts very much and have shared it with one student so far. I do not remember trainnig with you, though. Anywho, good to make your acquaintance again.
Respectfully,
Marlon

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

This should take us to the part you are talking about in this kata.
Like with all katas different teachers teach things as close as it was passed to them. This is how it is for me in shaolin ( no Kosho added, YET) up to this point. I will be glad to finish writing it out if there is anyone who would like it to be......

Front position and Bow. Right foot steps out and cross the arms in front of your chest, exhale and lower the arms. As you inhale, bring your right foot in then up to a flamingo as you simultaneously place your right fist into your left palm ( palm up ). Hands rise up to solar plexus level as right leg rises. As you exhale, your leg lowers next to your left, and your hands are crossed in front open.
Look to your right, look to your left, step out with right foot into a horse stance as you simultaneous palm block ( left ).

Pivot on your left foot 90 degrees, then left foot crosses behind right into a twist stance as you back fist ( right) to the groin and simultaneous palm block (left ).

Step out with your left, turning counterclockwise to a forward stance and do a left parry block. Right foot moves forward into a right forward stance, left foot moves into a left forward stance as you do simultaneous inward palm blocks.

Left arm does an upward block as you thrust punch to the solar plexus (right). Right arm performs an upward block, then left spear hand poke to the throat. Left foot moves back into a right forward stance as you simultaneously right tigers mouth to the throat in front and hammer strike ( left ) at attackers groin behind you.

Turn counter clock wise to the left 90 degrees and step forward with a right dragons block. Then do a left two finger poke to the eyes and pull into a right back punch to the solar plexus. Left back fist to the face and spin around back lick 45 degrees to the left. Then a left front kick to the same direction, followed by three tiger rakes to the face…left, right, left. ( In crane or Not).

Pivot 180 degrees into a right cat stance facing attacker and do a right side blade kick. Cross left foot behind right into a twisted stance with a left circular downward palm block and a right back fist to the face.

Turn 90 degrees to your left, left crescent kick to attackers leg and simultaneous left palm block, then a left immortal man strike to the neck. Left foot steps down and pivot 180 degrees into a left cat stance as you do a simultaneous right downward palm strike to attackers wrist and a left upward palm strike to the elbow then step back into a right cat stance and do a left downward palm strike to the wrist and a right upward palm strike to the elbow.

Double front ball kick (left to groin), right to solar plexus.

Ok here it is... let me know how close this is to yours????
steve

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

This should take us to the part you are talking about in this kata.
Like with all katas different teachers teach things as close as it was passed to them. This is how it is for me in shaolin ( no Kosho added, YET) up to this point. I will be glad to finish writing it out if there is anyone who would like it to be......

Front position and Bow. Right foot steps out and cross the arms in front of your chest, exhale and lower the arms. As you inhale, bring your right foot in then up to a flamingo as you simultaneously place your right fist into your left palm ( palm up ). Hands rise up to solar plexus level as right leg rises. As you exhale, your leg lowers next to your left, and your hands are crossed in front open.
Look to your right, look to your left, step out with right foot into a horse stance as you simultaneous palm block ( left ).

"i have double outward (to the left and right) outward tigers"

Pivot on your left foot 90 degrees, then left foot crosses behind right into a twist stance as you back fist ( right) to the groin and simultaneous palm block (left ).

"Could be a right crescent kick and i use an inverted hammer rather than a backfist"

Step out with your left, turning counterclockwise to a forward stance and do a left parry block. Right foot moves forward into a right forward stance, left foot moves into a left forward stance as you do simultaneous inward palm blocks.

"I have a left - right circular tiger blocks out of plumb tree with each step"

Left arm does an upward block as you thrust punch to the solar plexus (right). Right arm performs an upward block, then left spear hand poke to the throat. Left foot moves back into a right forward stance as you simultaneously right tigers mouth to the throat in front and hammer strike ( left ) at attackers groin behind you.

"Close"

Turn counter clock wise to the left 90 degrees and step forward with a right dragons block. Then do a left two finger poke to the eyes and pull into a right back punch to the solar plexus. Left back fist to the face and spin around back lick 45 degrees to the left. Then a left front kick to the same direction, followed by three tiger rakes to the face…left, right, left. ( In crane or Not).

"Yes, but i was initially taught in crane"

Pivot 180 degrees into a right cat stance facing attacker and do a right side blade kick. Cross left foot behind right into a twisted stance with a left circular downward palm block and a right back fist to the face.

"yep, the kick is to the knee and the circular palm can be a slap check that goes well with the next sequence and re-inforces this one"

Turn 90 degrees to your left, left crescent kick to attackers leg and simultaneous left palm block, then a left immortal man strike to the neck. Left foot steps down and pivot 180 degrees into a left cat stance as you do a simultaneous right downward palm strike to attackers wrist and a left upward palm strike to the elbow then step back into a right cat stance and do a left downward palm strike to the wrist and a right upward palm strike to the elbow.

"I have seen the stepping back one from shihan Bryant but Shihan Nohelty did not seem to do it nor do i."

Double front ball kick (left to groin), right to solar plexus.

Or stepping stool

Ok here it is... let me know how close this is to yours????
steve

Seems very similar
thanks for this. For some reason the things i said were included in the coloured text of the quote...apologies i put quotations to help them stand out more.
Care to share any thoughts or observations on this part of the form?

Respectfully,
Marlon

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Considering that GM Villari has been reported as stating that this form as containing the essence of his shaolin kempo system. I thought a thread discussing it would be a great tool to understanding skk. My first question is about the three tiger strikes in the form. I was taught to do them while in a crane stance after the front ball kick....why stay in the crane to do these strikes? Was everyone taught this way?

Respectfully,
Marlon

Fred Villari's system doesn't teach it that way. They teach to land and then do the strikes. USSD teaches it to do the strikes in a crane stance because Sho Tung Kwok translates to "hands and feet move in harmony"

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks landing makes more sense

the form is very instructive

Respectfully,
marlon

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks landing makes more sense

the form is very instructive

Respectfully,
marlon

That makes me fool good, this one of my favorite forms too. A few years ago i started putting the foot down because it was one of the only parts that did not make much sense. To hear that this is the way the originator does it makes me feel better about changing it from the way i learned it.
Jesse

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Fred Villari's system doesn't teach it that way. They teach to land and then do the strikes. USSD teaches it to do the strikes in a crane stance because Sho Tung Kwok translates to "hands and feet move in harmony"

I received this form from United. I never had a crane stance before the 3 rakes nor ever saw anyone else do it that way. It could still be that people do it that way as there is always variation, but in the six years I worked for USSD I never saw it done that way. The hands and feet in harmony was said to be land with the strike, but that would be the first strike generally.

SK101

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I received this form from United. I never had a crane stance before the 3 rakes nor ever saw anyone else do it that way. It could still be that people do it that way as there is always variation, but in the six years I worked for USSD I never saw it done that way. The hands and feet in harmony was said to be land with the strike, but that would be the first strike generally.

SK101

Funny. I was with USSD and I had it changed from the FV way which is to land and then strike. It's probably an LA county variation.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Funny. I was with USSD and I had it changed from the FV way which is to land and then strike. It's probably an LA county variation.

I'm USSD now, I was taught to land the foot at the same time the last strike hits. Hands and feet stop moving together. Previously with FV, it was land then strike.

Latest Discussions