Shinwa vs Musashi vs other brands

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You do realise that, when Hyoho talks about the founder of his ryu, he's talking about Musashi sensei particularly, yeah? You do understand that he's not the only practitioner of Musashi's system here, of course? You do know that making comments like that just show you to be a giggling school kid with no filter or desire to actually take on board the benefits of the experience and understanding available to you here, hmm?

But you're not being dismissive… right…

I put it down to Australians not really understanding Japanese culture regardless how much time they put in to studying it. I guess you just have to have been brought up in the culture to get it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One more time, this is the Japanese Sword Arts forum. As far as you're concerned? Dude… here, your opinion doesn't hold anything… you don't matter. Your opinion is completely irrelevant… it doesn't matter what it is "as far as you are concerned", because we're only concerned with what it actually is in relation to the topic and sub forum area.

Wood chopping competitions mean nothing here.

Your idea of butchers using cutting practically doesn't matter here.

Your thoughts on what we do don't matter here.

Until you have some clue of this area, your opinion doesn't matter here.

Only the leaders opinion matters?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, I've run out of ways to say this…

You're an idiot.

You're a disruptive jerk who deliberately misinterprets and misunderstands everything posted. There is nothing in that quote about being Australian, Japanese culture, or anything else… it's a comment on your (frankly rather offensive) "quote" attributed to Musashi, which again showed you are completely clueless and lacking in anything close to brain power.

Frankly, the entire board will be better off if you leave. You obviously don't have any interest in actually discussing things, only in interrupting actual discussions going on with your moronic false interpretations and invented claims of what others are saying.

While I'm sure this will be seen as a personal attack, be assured it's not. It's simply observation based on your posts here and in all other areas. You don't have the cognitive faculties to form anything close to a coherent argument, and are frankly beyond any help at this point, as you seem totally opposed to receiving it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, I've run out of ways to say this…

You're an idiot.

You're a disruptive jerk who deliberately misinterprets and misunderstands everything posted. There is nothing in that quote about being Australian, Japanese culture, or anything else… it's a comment on your (frankly rather offensive) "quote" attributed to Musashi, which again showed you are completely clueless and lacking in anything close to brain power.

Frankly, the entire board will be better off if you leave. You obviously don't have any interest in actually discussing things, only in interrupting actual discussions going on with your moronic false interpretations and invented claims of what others are saying.

While I'm sure this will be seen as a personal attack, be assured it's not. It's simply observation based on your posts here and in all other areas. You don't have the cognitive faculties to form anything close to a coherent argument, and are frankly beyond any help at this point, as you seem totally opposed to receiving it.

You seem upset. And are acting emotionally. I will give you some time to calm down so that we can have a rational discussion.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are incapable of a rational discussion. You are incapable of being rational. You are incapable of following simple, basic concepts. There is no hope that you will change.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gentlefolk,

Rein it in. The vehemence and personal issues are crossing the line. Let's bring the focus back to what remains of the original discussion about the quality of various available Japanese style swords from different makers.

Jks9199
Admin

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gentlefolk,

Rein it in. The vehemence and personal issues are crossing the line. Let's bring the focus back to what remains of the original discussion about the quality of various available Japanese style swords from different makers.

Jks9199
Admin
I whole heartedly agree. Lets cool it with the attitude shall we?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, I stepped away from this thread for a bit (and the forum for a few weeks), but having been called back to it, might as well go back to cover some of the other stuff…

Who cares what it's like where you are? Japan is it's own country, and they can govern however they feel is best for themselves. Frankly, this need to compare other nations ways of categorising and controlling weapons for their public citizenry with the (by all other standards) incredibly lax weapon laws.

It really doesn't matter. If you want to buy a sword in Japan, you need to follow the Japanese regulations.
I obviously have no call on how Japan is run nor do I have any desire to run Japan I am just stating my opinion.

And really, they're not that severe. Unless you insist on comparing them with a place where you can buy shotguns in a sporting goods section of a regular mall… you do know how that sounds to the majority of other nations, yeah?
You can do that in most countries provided you go through the proper checks and procedures and you've got the proper permits.

And besides, a sword is not the same as a shotgun.

I'm sorry, what!?! You've "come the the conclusion" that there are varying forms of Japanese sword arts?!?!!? Seriously?!?! All by yourself??
No I've come to that conclusion by doing research, which includes, I will admit, reading some of the posts here.

Dude. You've been told that since the first page and beyond.
Obviously.

Hence the question, what are you actually wanting the sword for?
Originally I wanted the sword for the reasons stated in post 68, now with all this new information (new at the time) I will have to learn more about the different various Japanese sword arts to answer that.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I obviously have no call on how Japan is run nor do I have any desire to run Japan I am just stating my opinion.

Okay. The bigger point is that the way you discuss the laws and realities of other countries and cultures comes across as you disapproving of them without the benefit of actually being aware of the reasons.

You can do that in most countries provided you go through the proper checks and procedures and you've got the proper permits.

No, no, you really can't. We tend not to have firearms in stores where kids frequent… that's all you.

And besides, a sword is not the same as a shotgun.

In some ways… in others, they are the same (both potentially lethal items requiring some regulation).

No I've come to that conclusion by doing research, which includes, I will admit, reading some of the posts here.

The point is that that's the very first thing you learn when looking at sword arts… hell, the description of this section starts by naming three different forms of Japanese sword arts… "research" is hardly needed.

Obviously.

Right…

Originally I wanted the sword for the reasons stated in post 68, now with all this new information (new at the time) I will have to learn more about the different various Japanese sword arts to answer that.

You didn't state any reasons in post 68… you gave an off-base description of the "type" of sword you wanted, but gave no actual reason for what you want it for. That is what I was saying to you.

Are you looking for Iai? Kenjutsu? Kendo? Something to hang on the wall? Do you plan on doing any tameshigiri? Do you have access to a legit teacher (please note, a simple "yes" doesn't cut it… we're going to want confirmation on who)? What do they recommend? If not, are you looking for one? In what?

All of this will start (finally) to get us to a point where we can tell you if we'd recommend anything or not.

I'll give you a couple of examples… I have a couple of Iaito, a couple of Shinken, and quite an array of bokuto… some are specific to particular ryu-ha, others are more "generic". My shinken are fairly different to each other as well… one is very heavy, particularly tip-heavy, has quite a wide blade, and a mid-long size kissaki. It's designed (well, it is a custom made blade) to be something that is quite forgiving for poor technique in cutting… and is designed for students, new to cutting, to use with a good degree of success. My other shinken is more for me… it's much lighter, better balanced, with a narrower blade and small kissaki… and is designed to match my custom Iaito.

Each sword I have is there to fulfil a particular role in my training and teaching needs… they have a particular purpose. None of them are just "swords".

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay. The bigger point is that the way you discuss the laws and realities of other countries and cultures comes across as you disapproving of them without the benefit of actually being aware of the reasons.

No, no, you really can't. We tend not to have firearms in stores where kids frequent… that's all you.

In some ways… in others, they are the same (both potentially lethal items requiring some regulation).

The point is that that's the very first thing you learn when looking at sword arts… hell, the description of this section starts by naming three different forms of Japanese sword arts… "research" is hardly needed.

Right…

You didn't state any reasons in post 68… you gave an off-base description of the "type" of sword you wanted, but gave no actual reason for what you want it for. That is what I was saying to you.

Are you looking for Iai? Kenjutsu? Kendo? Something to hang on the wall? Do you plan on doing any tameshigiri? Do you have access to a legit teacher (please note, a simple "yes" doesn't cut it… we're going to want confirmation on who)? What do they recommend? If not, are you looking for one? In what?

All of this will start (finally) to get us to a point where we can tell you if we'd recommend anything or not.

I'll give you a couple of examples… I have a couple of Iaito, a couple of Shinken, and quite an array of bokuto… some are specific to particular ryu-ha, others are more "generic". My shinken are fairly different to each other as well… one is very heavy, particularly tip-heavy, has quite a wide blade, and a mid-long size kissaki. It's designed (well, it is a custom made blade) to be something that is quite forgiving for poor technique in cutting… and is designed for students, new to cutting, to use with a good degree of success. My other shinken is more for me… it's much lighter, better balanced, with a narrower blade and small kissaki… and is designed to match my custom Iaito.

Each sword I have is there to fulfil a particular role in my training and teaching needs… they have a particular purpose. None of them are just "swords".

And you couldn't use one sword for more than one purpose?

I would have thought the skills are developed within the practitioner. I mean i have seen some people use a stick in replacement of a sword.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't know about Australia but when I was visiting Germany and I was 16 I was able to walk into a store by myself that not only sold shotguns but handguns as well. Of course not just anybody could buy them but the point is they had a store that sold them and at 16 I was able to go into it by myself.

Potentially lethal can apply to all sorts of stuff, hammers, rocks, bare hands. Should everything be regulated heavily? Swords are just tools, much like lots of other tools.

As of right now I am looking to learn more about the various Japanese sword arts. The various names mentioned on this thread and from other sources is a good starting point. I do know that Kendo uses bamboo swords and as far as I know they don't do anything with metal blades so Im not really interested in that particular art. As for finding a legit teacher for sword arts I have yet to do that. You did mention some good schools but since you won't post the links I will just have to do research that's not through you.

That is why I am going to have to learn more about the different sword arts before deciding what kinds of swords Im interested in. Swords are like golf clubs, every club serves the purpose of hitting the ball but it requires different clubs depending on how you're hitting it, where you're hitting it, how far you're hitting it, ect.

Latest Discussions