Shinkendo

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK I am not a learned student of the sword so this question is a simple one.
Shinkendo, what is the opinion of it and Obata Sensei. What of his students. I know of Reg last name escapes me and Jackson Wagner. Any opinions.

Now I know Jackson personally but I don't delve into his training too much. But am asking.

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dave I met Mr Obata a loooong time ago, back whe he was still with Yoshinkan Aikido. Takashi Kushida brought him up to our club in Flint, he had nice aikido, like all those guys did.
We have a shinkendo class running out of our club now the instructor's name is Victoria VanVleet. Shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you her contact info if you wish.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shinkendo, what is the opinion of it and Obata Sensei.
Hey Dave,
As with anyone, there are good and bad points. I've never personally met Mr. Obata, but I've met and had many conversations with a number of his long time students. That being said, here are my opinions on the subject ... Mr. Obata is a very talented individual. From what I have seen, both his sword and his aikido are outstanding. I believe he had a very good idea behind Shinkendo. However, it seems that the curriculum and push behind his creation have changed over the years. In his attempts to increase the number of instructors and the size of the Shinkendo organization, he has dropped the level of difficulty in his curriculum and so alienated some of his early students. From all indicators, it is still a good system and worth training in. However, the depth and dedication required are not what they once were. Also, I never did care for his policy of separatism. The Shinkendo folks are not allowed to participate in seminars, competitions, or to mingle in general with other sword arts. So, based upon my own experiences and conversations with others, Mr. Obata is seen as a highly talented individual with a very solid background. However, his ideas and implementation are a bit suspect. His latest emphasis on two sword cutting, Which I've seen on video from a couple of demonstrations he's done, is also looked at rather suspiciously in the greater Japanese Sword Arts community.

There you go, just my opinion.

Jeff HArris

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,
Just few notes from some actual Shinkenodka (almost 13 yrs. tenure). The best way to assess Shinkendo (or any training for that matter) is to visit the dojo where it is being taught and see if it's a good fit for you (training goals, tastes, ect). As instructors, we have found training to be a very personal enterprise--each student enters with their own unique goals, reasons for training, and capabilities.
As per the changes to the curriculum, yes, there have been many, but these changes have been in more in terms of expansions as opposed to deletions, such as the addition of movement sets that teach specific points in a more focused manner. In addition, other features of training (such as nitoken and expanded perspectives on kumite) have actually made the curriculum more complex, as opposed to less, so the speculation that things have somehow become simplified is not supported.
Another thing that has changed; there is now a greater tolerance for a broader range of training goals and learning styles. The philosophy is one of: "Shinkendo can be a beneficial pursuit for any student seeking to train", as opposed to catering to a specific type of student or mindset.
In closing I would like to note that Shinkendo has become a more positive art as it has grown and matured.
Hope this perspective helps,
Marlene & Jeff Harris
Mesa, AZ

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The best way to assess Shinkendo (or any training for that matter) is to visit the dojo where it is being taught and see if it's a good fit for you (training goals, tastes, ect).
Thanks for giving us the inside view Jeff. Nothing to add really, except that I felt that this particular statement of yours was important enough to be repeated! :)

Peekingduck

White Belt
Reaction score
He's got a good 'rep'.
But always find out for yourself first.
Ask for linage if that is important to you
etc.
The man has performed some really great
test cuts. One of the more famous to an old
helmet.
Cutting straw matts is a lot easier than cutting
a Japanese helmet, so as far as skill... well, he's