Shin Splints

KGTKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Any of you ever get horrible shin splints from TKD? They become very aggravated during any kind of double kick drill or pretty much any kick that i have to pivot on the ball of my foot. Any advice? I have tried icing them down after practice, taking time off, but they usually come back after 2 - 3 weeks of tough training.

OP
K

KGTKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That was awesome, I had started calf raises, but this adds a new dimension.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never heard of getting shin splints during TKD. But no matter how ya get 'em, the treatment should cover it.

All my best in your recovery.

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've had them but it was from the running we do at the beginning of class. Rest and not running was the only thing that helped me.

OP
K

KGTKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Quick update, went to the doctor, and i have a stress fracture in my right shin, and my left isn't too far behind. No exercise (even walking) for 2 months. I was told that I have slight over pronation in my feet. When on the balls of my feet, it applies extra tension on the tendons that run on the side of the shin, making my muscle pull on the bone. I have orthopedic inserts now. From what the sports md said, i will have to wear them while I kick. Anyone with any experience with this?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
My daughter had to were them. Not for a stress fracture but for bad arches that made walking let alone kicking very painful. She could not train properly as she could not kick or push of or plant on one foot. They really helped. She still trained barefoot but wore them in her shoes all day when not training. She was better in about 2 to 3 months. She still wears them from time to time but no more foot pain at all.

Hope this helps.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes a fracture sgould does put a hamper on the training best of luck.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never had shin splints from TKD, just from running, but as mentioned above, the treatment is the same.

Good luck and speedy recovery!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Quick update, went to the doctor, and i have a stress fracture in my right shin, and my left isn't too far behind. No exercise (even walking) for 2 months. I was told that I have slight over pronation in my feet. When on the balls of my feet, it applies extra tension on the tendons that run on the side of the shin, making my muscle pull on the bone. I have orthopedic inserts now. From what the sports md said, i will have to wear them while I kick. Anyone with any experience with this?

No walking?

OP
K

KGTKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yep no walking... New update, had a bone density exam this week, turns out one dr says its a stress fracture, the other says its an inflammation of the sheath that covers the bone. Good thing is treatment is the same: he took me off the orthopedic inserts, no kicking, jumping, or bouncing. Use a cane/crutch if I am going to walk too much. Regardless, no tkd for a while :(. I can teach, but I can't demonstrate. Wonderful.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep no walking... New update, had a bone density exam this week, turns out one dr says its a stress fracture, the other says its an inflammation of the sheath that covers the bone. Good thing is treatment is the same: he took me off the orthopedic inserts, no kicking, jumping, or bouncing. Use a cane/crutch if I am going to walk too much. Regardless, no tkd for a while :(. I can teach, but I can't demonstrate. Wonderful.

Surely you can still punch a heavy bag or do something that doesn't involve pressure on your feet? Good luck with your recovery. I had a back injury last year and the inactivity drove me nuts.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...and that's why I'm avoiding going to the doctor for mine. :(

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Surely you can still punch a heavy bag or do something that doesn't involve pressure on your feet? Good luck with your recovery. I had a back injury last year and the inactivity drove me nuts.
Unless it involves sitting in a chair and arm punching exclusively, I have a hard time picturing punching a heavybag without involving the feet pretty heavily.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unless it involves sitting in a chair and arm punching exclusively, I have a hard time picturing punching a heavybag without involving the feet pretty heavily.

I agree something like a boxer would have difficulty working a heavy bag without lots of moving his feet. Think of drills from a style like wing chun or even classical goju ryu karate and you'll picture more what I was thinking myself.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well to help the healing process just make sure that you get a balance of Calcium and Magnesium. Many people think that it is just calcium for the bones when that is not true. You need both in balance with one another to promote healthy bone and bone repair.

Just a little tip.
icon7.gif

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well to help the healing process just make sure that you get a balance of Calcium and Magnesium. Many people think that it is just calcium for the bones when that is not true. You need both in balance with one another to promote healthy bone and bone repair.

Just a little tip.
icon7.gif

And isn't vitamin D necessary in order for the body to absorb the calcium supplement, too?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
And isn't vitamin D necessary in order for the body to absorb the calcium supplement, too?
Yes it is. Just spend 20 minutes a day outside and you should be fine on the D. Thanks Stac3y.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree something like a boxer would have difficulty working a heavy bag without lots of moving his feet. Think of drills from a style like wing chun or even classical goju ryu karate and you'll picture more what I was thinking myself.
Wing Chun and Goju punching still involve hip movement, which would still be stressing the legs. Not a lot, but if walking's out, it'd still probably be rough on the shins.

Ground and pound on a heavy bag on the floor might work tho.

Latest Discussions