shiko=pain

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, I've been doing aikido a couple of weeks now and shiko exercises are rubbing my knees raw.

Is it allowable in aikido to wear knee pads under the gi or hakama, or do I just need to tough it out?

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, I've been doing aikido a couple of weeks now and shiko exercises are rubbing my knees raw.

Is it allowable in aikido to wear knee pads under the gi or hakama, or do I just need to tough it out?

Of course it is. How is anyone going to know if you're wear knee pads or not?

OP
Aiki Lee

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if there was supposed to some kind of conditioning of the knees or not.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How good do you look in lycra?
icon10.gif

Leggings, like cyclists wear, under the gi might do all that's required. Most of the BJJ guys I know use leggings under their shorts. :asian:

OP
Aiki Lee

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I look good in anything. ;)

Thanks, I'll try that stuff out.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something that is in-between knee-pads and lycra: polypropylene knee braces. You can find them in drug stores near the Ace wraps. There are a few different kinds (open patella, closed patella, etc)

Last spring I started up the hiking season after being out of it for over 4 months (I didn't have the cold weather gear to go out in winter). I hit the trails and my knees got banged all to hell. Wearing braces did help some...would have helped more if I thought of the idea before my knees got smashed up...LOL

Be careful with your skin. Skin that has been rubbed raw is at risk of infection, including the nasty stuff like MRSA. You've been around the arts for awhile, I'm sure you know that ... just hoping that bad things don't happen to good people. :)

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Be careful with your skin. Skin that has been rubbed raw is at risk of infection, including the nasty stuff like MRSA.

When I was in Iraq I got a case of MRSA on my hand. I expected to wake up from surgery without an arm. Luckily they were able to just leave scars.

Infections are no joke

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When my mom was doing Aikido with me, she had a lot of pain in her knees from the shikko and practicing techniques from the knees. She wore knee pads under her gi pants and hakama and they helped her a lot. :)

Robyn :asian: