Sharing push hand practise video of students

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
I pushed with Chen Ziqiang as well.There are no wide stances of the videos. William the guy in the last video (student of Chen Qingzhou) , uses very wide stances only for practice. Now to be technically correct CMA doesn't have "stances" CMA has steps "bu". We westerners call them "stances" because we get use to this terminology.

The step in my line vary depending on circumstances. You can step "in" or "out" different length depending on circumstances. One in important thing to highlight here the step is alive not fixed. Because of the nature of my branch Chen body method, wide stances deprive us of very important functionally, so they are used only training or rare occasions.

Also it's posible to sweep or trap any length of step if one knows "how"

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree with jowgawolf on this one.

When i do push hands i mostly use high and narrow stances, but we only use arms and not legs (like boxing). If kicks and leg sweeps are agreed to be used, our stance may well change.

The video below is a good example of a good stance for sparring (as opposed to push hands) purposes. This is a realistic fight between a striker and a grappler, and both use wider than shoulder width stances.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When i do push hands i mostly use high and narrow stances, but we only use arms and not legs (like boxing). If kicks and leg sweeps are agreed to be used, our stance may well change.
It'll definitely change without question. I use feet, legs, and knees when I do push hands.

thought you might guys might light this video. Watch their feet and legs

Here's a better video that shows some attempted sweeps.

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think the issue here is the different ways that people do "push hands".

For me and perhaps also the OP, our push hands is merely to practise sticking, sensitivity, relaxation, not fighting force with force etc. In this manner of push hands, tall and narrow stances are alright.

But in wrestling (CZQ) style push hands, surely the stance would need to be adjusted.

OP
I

internalpowerhk

White Belt
Reaction score
Is this Wu (Hao) 武氏?

My second guess would be Sun (孫氏), but I think it might be Wu (Hao) 武氏

I see Yang (楊氏) and Chen (陳氏) there and that says Wu (Hao) 武氏 to me, but Sun (孫氏) comes from Wu (Hao) 武氏 so I could be wrong.

Yes, we practise Wu (Hao) 武氏

Latest Discussions