Sharing push hand practise video of students

OP
I

internalpowerhk

White Belt
Reaction score
Posting some students who practice hand for 2 years (first video)and 6 months (second one). Kindly advise if you have some advise for them for improvement

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, which one is you?

Where is this?

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nice to meet you too, thanks again for sharing

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have watched your videos a few times. This is my constructive comment:

1) i like that your movements are relaxed

2) i like that you are not using force against force

3) i like that you have a variety of pushes

4) your partner seems to be overly compliant and waiting for you to execute your pushes on him

5) i would like to see your partner execute an unrehearsed push on you and you counter him

6) i would like to see more attention paid on the 'crossing hand' part. You seem to be focusing mostly on the final move, i.e. the push

7) i would like to see you 'give up your own movement' and follow your partner. You seem to be doing your own movements rather than responding to your partner's movements

My 2 cents, cheers.

Last edited:
OP
I

internalpowerhk

White Belt
Reaction score
I have watched your videos a few times. This is my constructive comment:

1) i like that your movements are relaxed

2) i like that you are not using force against force

3) i like that you have a variety of pushes

4) your partner seems to be overly compliant and waiting for you to execute your pushes on him

5) i would like to see your partner execute an unrehearsed push on you and you counter him

6) i would like to see more attention paid on the 'crossing hand' part. You seem to be focusing mostly on the final move, i.e. the push

7) i would like to see you 'give up your own movement' and follow your partner. You seem to be doing your own movements rather than responding to your partner's movements

My 2 cents, cheers.
Thanks for your advise in such detail way. ^ ^

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is there any reason why the stances are high and narrow?

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the new videos!

These two new videos show nice counters from the person being pushed.

I would like to see the person pushing to have more relaxed arms.

And when you counter, i would like to see the upper body not bent forward.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is there any reason why the stances are high and narrow?
I have the same concern as well. You should not give your opponent any chance to be able to attack both of your legs at the same time.

When your opponent attacks you with

- "single leg", you will still have counters.
- "double legs", you will have no counter.

Also a narrow stance will give your opponent an opportunity to

- use under hook below your right shoulder,
- push your body to your left, and
- sweeps your left leg to your right at the same time.

A wider stance won't give your opportunity that opportunity.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you can only retreat as far as your rear leg. I also don't think it will be as easy to push each other with a wider stance. A wider stance may shed some light on the effectiveness of your technique.

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you can only retreat as far as your rear leg. I also don't think it will be as easy to push each other with a wider stance. A wider stance may shed some light on the effectiveness of your technique.

Thanks, do you have a pic or photo to show what is the optimum width?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks, do you have a pic or photo to show what is the optimum width?
The width of your stance will vary depending on what you are dealing with, but any stance that less than shoulders width apart will put you in serious trouble. If you are dealing with someone that's a wrestler, Judo, or BJJ practitioner, then you want to take a much wider stance stance, than you would someone that only strikes. The narrow goat stance that is done in practice is definitely not the stance that you want for most sparring practice and never for real fighting situations.

The guy in red is Chen Tai Chi. Forget about everything else and watch only the legs and that will give you an idea of how the width changes.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In which universe wide stances are optimal? All Chen folks I have ever met never used them in free push-hands because they are impractical
Wide stances aren't impractical. It's the super wide stances that we see wushu performers use that's impractical. They are good for building leg strength but that's about it.
This guy does Chen Tai Chi and you can see him use a narrow stance. His narrow stance is an indication that he's not concerned about the big guys ability.

Here's a video of him. Notice his stance goes between shoulder width and wide depending on what is happening.

In his competition video that I posted above, he's using a wide stance and has abandoned the narrow shoulder width stance. You can also see how that wide stance helps him to move quickly and avoid sweeps.

Latest Discussions