Sharing my training - Conditioning

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I added my footwork conditioning to this video along with additional other conditioning. I a previous post I mention training the form at different speeds. He you'll see me use tension, I think power, speed, and the combination of both. I may have taken the power part out. I can't remember. After review it looks like the Power only part was removed. The power basically looks like I'm trying to throw everything into the punch.

The clips in this video were taken after my workout. I tried to reach "empty on my gas tank" before doing these. You can actually see in one of the clips how just "gas out" at the very end. My theory is that every can fighting on fresh legs. I need to be able to fight when there's almost nothing left. Like always feel free to comment. I'm welcome all comment regardless of how I may feel personally about it. With stuff like this, I'll either go into more detail of what I'm doing, agree, or disagree. Maybe one day I'll break down what is shown here and show a few applications of it. If you missed the first video. None of these are fighting combinations. It's a bunch of singular techniques chained together but not for the purpose of using as a fighting combination.

The weights used in the video are 20lbs each. I could probably go 30lbs each but I don't think it would be of any benefit and I would probably run the risk of damaging my spine. The core has to be engaged when I turn, if not then I run the risks of twisting with my spine and not my core. I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner activity. As a beginner I would push into bow vs twist into bow.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jow Ga, another great mashup.

You definitely have the basics down and yes, this isn't for beginners. Or people with ankle problems. Or people with inflammatory diets.

My only recommendation is you should do these on a softer, flatter surface. Otherwise, you might also get some ankle problems.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I added my footwork conditioning to this video along with additional other conditioning. I a previous post I mention training the form at different speeds. He you'll see me use tension, I think power, speed, and the combination of both. I may have taken the power part out. I can't remember. After review it looks like the Power only part was removed. The power basically looks like I'm trying to throw everything into the punch.

The clips in this video were taken after my workout. I tried to reach "empty on my gas tank" before doing these. You can actually see in one of the clips how just "gas out" at the very end. My theory is that every can fighting on fresh legs. I need to be able to fight when there's almost nothing left. Like always feel free to comment. I'm welcome all comment regardless of how I may feel personally about it. With stuff like this, I'll either go into more detail of what I'm doing, agree, or disagree. Maybe one day I'll break down what is shown here and show a few applications of it. If you missed the first video. None of these are fighting combinations. It's a bunch of singular techniques chained together but not for the purpose of using as a fighting combination.

The weights used in the video are 20lbs each. I could probably go 30lbs each but I don't think it would be of any benefit and I would probably run the risk of damaging my spine. The core has to be engaged when I turn, if not then I run the risks of twisting with my spine and not my core. I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner activity. As a beginner I would push into bow vs twist into bow.
im not sure what to pick up on ? that you think that counts as conditioning training or how shattered you are after so little, which mean you need to do some actual conditioning training

here you go, try this as a starter

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like your "freeze arms, only move legs" drills (0.03 - 0.06).

The horse stance to bow-arrow stance transaction can be very interested. One can feel how to borrow force from the ground, and send energy through back heel, back leg, and reach to the hip.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jow Ga, another great mashup.

You definitely have the basics down and yes, this isn't for beginners. Or people with ankle problems. Or people with inflammatory diets.

My only recommendation is you should do these on a softer, flatter surface. Otherwise, you might also get some ankle problems.
Got it. Tilt the camera to remove the hill. The only place that matches your description is the park. I plan to make it there one of these days. The concrete is brutal on my shoes with all of the foot shuffles I do.

I decided to revisit everything starting at the basics and work my way back up. I'm adding some advance elements to it, such as the staff, weights, and just recently I discovered that I can shuffle backwards in bow stance, which I've never done before. It's just something that came out during the training. I think I'll start my kung fu shadow boxing next week before I get into too many techniques. Time to figure out the multiple applications of that double punch and double back fist. That's going to be interesting to see if I can even "make" that a thing.

I'm thinking maybe defense against a rear bear hug, drop into horse to prevent being thrown the drop and the double punch should interfered with the grab enough to free my arms. I'm thinking the grab will release completely or will raise it almost neck height, pull back both of my arms like in the form which will bring my hands within grabbing position to grab both wrists, perform the chamber movement which will pull his arms down, step out with my back foot and twist my waist into bow which should toss my opponent off me. If my opponent chooses to release his grip at anytime during this I would still have have a grip of his arms.

Not sure if this is realistic. I'll have to check other systems to see if they have something similar .

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
im not sure what to pick up on ? that you think that counts as conditioning training or how shattered you are after so little,
These are clips of my workout, specifically clips done at the end of my workout. What you don't see is the other stuff I did during a 2 hour training session. What you see in the video is what was being done at the end of the training. You can get an idea of the time passing by taking a look at the shadow on the ground. West is to the camera, East is to the left. So my shadows will get longer. A video of me training for 2 hours would just be boring to watch so I just took clips of parts of what I did.

In short, imagine you doing a workout and then add this what you see here and do it until your run out of gas. The 20lbs chamber at your hips is only after swinging a big staff with weights on your arms, and curling that 20lbs at 5 sets , 20 reps. I'll show you what I do for staff and the other exercises that weren't shown here. I'll give you a count so you can add up everything, which will give you a better idea of the total work being done.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
im not sure what to pick up on ? that you think that counts as conditioning training or how shattered you are after so little, which mean you need to do some actual conditioning training

Where’s your conditioning video jobo?....you always have something to say about everyone else’s videos but don’t put anything up yourself to show us how it’s done...

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like your "freeze arms, only move legs" drills (0.03 - 0.06).

The horse stance to bow-arrow stance transaction can be very interested. One can feel how to borrow force from the ground, and send energy through back heel, back leg, and reach to the hip.
That drill forces me to use the right body mechanics for generating power. As I'm doing it, I'm thinking about moving that staff fast enough to hit someone hard. I haven't gotten my power to where I want it to be.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
These are clips of my workout, specifically clips done at the end of my workout. What you don't see is the other stuff I did during a 2 hour training session. What you see in the video is what was being done at the end of the training. You can get an idea of the time passing by taking a look at the shadow on the ground. West is to the camera, East is to the left. So my shadows will get longer. A video of me training for 2 hours would just be boring to watch so I just took clips of parts of what I did.

In short, imagine you doing a workout and then add this what you see here and do it until your run out of gas. The 20lbs chamber at your hips is only after swinging a big staff with weights on your arms, and curling that 20lbs at 5 sets , 20 reps. I'll show you what I do for staff and the other exercises that weren't shown here. I'll give you a count so you can add up everything, which will give you a better idea of the total work being done.
Don’t bother he’ll only have something else to say about how rubbish it is no matter what you post

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

Great video.

Bunny Hop Burpees, Abs Spring Ups, Low Explosive Lunges, Explosive MMA Push Ups, Stationary Sprints, Kick Outs, Kick Ups, Jump Squats, Plank Around the World Combo Sprawls. Yes, more please.

Only one problem: I can't watch Mr. Funk without humming this tune in my head.

Bow...bow wow wow wow...bow wow wow wow...bow wow wow wow...wow wow.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don’t bother he’ll only have something else to say about how rubbish it is no matter what you post
Wednesday is going to be tough. Next Wednesday I'll be doing the same thing but in a lower stance that is use for grappling. I know without a doubt that my legs will burn out easy during that, which is fine with me. That's how Day#1 for anything should be. Day #1 will always be our weakest performance. I'll have weighted walks (farmers walks), lifts and throws lots of leg a core exercises. Just thinking about it makes me not want to do it. lol.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't remember if I mentioned this, but this is the first part of the beginner's form. This is the form I'm currently training. This is the full form as it was taught in the lineage that I trained under. I'll try to remember to post this video with my next training post. Can't make any promises.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Got it. Tilt the camera to remove the hill. The only place that matches your description is the park. I plan to make it there one of these days. The concrete is brutal on my shoes with all of the foot shuffles I do.

I decided to revisit everything starting at the basics and work my way back up. I'm adding some advance elements to it, such as the staff, weights, and just recently I discovered that I can shuffle backwards in bow stance, which I've never done before. It's just something that came out during the training. I think I'll start my kung fu shadow boxing next week before I get into too many techniques. Time to figure out the multiple applications of that double punch and double back fist. That's going to be interesting to see if I can even "make" that a thing.

I'm thinking maybe defense against a rear bear hug, drop into horse to prevent being thrown the drop and the double punch should interfered with the grab enough to free my arms. I'm thinking the grab will release completely or will raise it almost neck height, pull back both of my arms like in the form which will bring my hands within grabbing position to grab both wrists, perform the chamber movement which will pull his arms down, step out with my back foot and twist my waist into bow which should toss my opponent off me. If my opponent chooses to release his grip at anytime during this I would still have have a grip of his arms.

Not sure if this is realistic. I'll have to check other systems to see if they have something similar .
I'm very proud of myself right now for being on the right track for the double punch in bow as a throw. I've been tossed before from waist twists in school, but not from this part of the technique where the double. So I started to look for bear hug defenses. Karate didn't have the same mechanics but then I came across this video.

Look at 0:43. Which shows what I was trying to describe. The bear hug is high, so there's no need for the double punch at this point, But you can see that he grabs the high bear hug and he steps and turns. This is probably why my Sifu makes such a big fuss about generating power with the waist.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well this is interesting. In that other conversation awhile back you practically SCREAMED that specific training is pretty much the only thing you should do to get better. Yet here you say the opposite.

This is specific to his training and MA.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome, love it man. Gives me some cool ideas for myself too. They do not look easy!

Also get a kick out of seeing people really gassed and pushing through some hard drills. There's something honest about it but it shows such perseverance and pushing through where you thought your limit was. Must be my own training background that gets all excited when I see that haha.

Have always loved the double punch, when I was in a class and we worked on that, and on generating power WITHOUT using hip rotation or forward movement, and using the natural spinal wave/pelvic girdle, that blew my mind...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well this is interesting. In that other conversation awhile back you practically SCREAMED that specific training is pretty much the only thing you should do to get better. Yet here you say the opposite.

This is specific to his training and MA.
as i remmember it was you who was getting '' screamy'' but i suspect you didnt under stand what i was saying then or now for that matter

my point is what ever your doing should be tied heavily to your fitness to fight

so for instance doing push ups into the dozens has little positive benefit in increasing your strength, your building low intensity endurance that is almost never going to help

im finding it hard to understand what doing super low intensity turns with a sweeping brush behind your back is going to achieve, in fitness to fight terms?
a collection of short, very high intensity exercises is a lot closer to the fitness thats needed to fight someone, which is why i tried to help him with an MMA work out

D

Deleted member 39746

Hang on, they do 30lbs weights? Translating that into metric i have never seen the mtric weight for it done, that or its very rare. Its usually 12kg then 15/14/16.

Same with 20lbs for that matter, that in metric is just a odd weight to find.

I used to be able to lift 8kg in kettlebell form but that day is long gone for now. Kind of annoys me how people used to mock my old routine yet it actually worked a decent bit.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hang on, they do 30lbs weights? Translating that into metric i have never seen the mtric weight for it done, that or its very rare. Its usually 12kg then 15/14/16.

Same with 20lbs for that matter, that in metric is just a odd weight to find.

I used to be able to lift 8kg in kettlebell form but that day is long gone for now. Kind of annoys me how people used to mock my old routine yet it actually worked a decent bit.
america hasn't gone metric, things tend to come in multiples of 1 IB, that said, my kettles bells are in lbs as well

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
as i remmember it was you who was getting '' screamy'' but i suspect you didnt under stand what i was saying then or now for that matter

my point is what ever your doing should be tied heavily to your fitness to fight

so for instance doing push ups into the dozens has little positive benefit in increasing your strength, your building low intensity endurance that is almost never going to help

im finding it hard to understand what doing super low intensity turns with a sweeping brush behind your back is going to achieve, in fitness to fight terms?
a collection of short, very high intensity exercises is a lot closer to the fitness thats needed to fight someone, which is why i tried to help him with an MMA work out

Interesting how we recall and perceive things...

There are lots of different ways to develop certain skills, attributes and conditioning. Doesn't have to just be one. This way may be more specific to his art. The one you suggested was done for cage fighters. Of course that could helpful to him. Could be to anyone in some way.

Latest Discussions