Share your reason and experience for joining the Martial Arts.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by The Opal Dragon
I wish our reason for taking Aikido could just be for fun or getting in shape like most people and not for learning how to defend ourselves from my crazy-mentally-ill brother

I am sure you don't mean this as a demeaning comment and in your situation it may be true but as I work with people with a severe and prolonged mental illness I would be remiss in stating that having a mental illness does not make one "crazy."

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

I am sure you don't mean this as a demeaning comment and in your situation it may be true but as I work with people with a severe and prolonged mental illness I would be remiss in stating that having a mental illness does not make one "crazy."

Your right, GouRonin, I didn't mean it as a demeaning comment but I apologize. It wasn't even nessasary for me to put "crazy" in my post but he's bugging me today. Your right, just because a person has a mental illness doesn't make him/her crazy. Actually, the word that really bugs me is when people use the word "retarded" as an insult to another person, etc. My brother was born with Down Syndrome which is basically severally mentally retarded and now he's mentally ill on top of it (which causes the occasional violence). So I understand how you feel and what you are saying and I apologize again in my ignorance in my way of using "crazy".

Robyn :angel:

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by The Opal Dragon
Your right, GouRonin, I didn't mean it as a demeaning comment but I apologize. It wasn't even nessasary for me to put "crazy" in my post but he's bugging me today. Your right, just because a person has a mental illness doesn't make him/her crazy. Actually, the word that really bugs me is when people use the word "retarded" as an insult to another person, etc. My brother was born with Down Syndrome which is basically severally mentally retarded and now he's mentally ill on top of it (which causes the occasional violence). So I understand how you feel and what you are saying and I apologize again in my ignorance in my way of using "crazy".
Robyn

I have worked with people who have dual diagnosis as well and it's very trying. Each case is very different. Often I found that the family relationship is very strained and by the time I deal with them (I work in crisis servcies) most of the bridges to friends and family have already been burned.

However Mental Illness is also not an excuse to allow people to act out innapropriatly anymore then anyone else. But it does put you in a position where you have a lot more patience than most others have. So you're not ignorant. I don't want you to think I said you are. It sounds like you're frustrated and often that leads to a lot of "black" or "gallows" humour. So it's ok to call someone crazy when with friends etc that understand. It's a way to release stress and you need to do that. I just wanted to make sure people who don't understand know that you really do care and are working hard at what you are doing and not being mean or ignorant.

There is a saying, "Mental illness...it's 2 words...not a sentence." Just because something IS doesn't mean you can't look for what CAN BE.

I have a lot of respect for you for not only coming back to apologize and to explain why you feel the way you did. You're the kind of people that aikido really needs as it's spokepersons and you do not only aikido a credit but yourself one as well by your actions and words. My congratulations to you.
:asian:

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for what you said, GouRonin. This has made me realize that when I am stressed out, I do tend to be sarcastic, etc. It is my way of releaving stress since I can't scream, throw stuff, or hit my family members (like my brother). However, being sarcastic/name-calling/whatever, doesn't seem like it should be right/excusable either. >ponders-what can I do now to vent since sarcasm is now on the "no no" list? I know!....Here kitty, kitty, kitty!:erg: < :D

Robyn ;) :asian: :angel: