Share your greatest song or lyric???

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Before I go further....I liked Motörhead, first album I ever got of theirs was Iron Fist.

I was a blonde...now it is going white...and that guy is still rattling around in there, it is just he got a little smarter and , at 30 years of age, much to his surprise that he actually made it that far...decided to turned things around, since it was likely he was going to be around for awhile, coincidently this is also the same time I got into Chinese martial arts and no longer did Jujutsu or TKD. And now that I'm a dad so things are rather different these days. But I am still thinking about getting another motorcycle that I can restore. But the big difference between the young me and the current older me is I am now looking to get an old BMW, not a Harley..... for reasons that I will not divulge here in an open forum..... they would be from the attitude of the old Xue and possibly not received to well by some who ride Harleys today

And now, I heard this today on the radio and I rather liked it

Queens of the Stone Age - The Way You Used to Do

Motorhead yes tho when I hear them it was probably all finished up.. Speed freak!! yes.. Was blonde now is going white.. is still long? And that guy rattling round he got little smarter and turn things around.. good for him! He still have a say in how you conduct your self now?

QotSA.. big favourite!! :) Brody Dalle is only one degree of separation from Josh Homme :) my heroine <3

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes my heart is a failure so now I run off of a battery I could not let Johnny Marr near that with his magnetic persona might cause me a circuitry freak out haha.. ooh I like that you like Eagulls a little.. wow Bauhaus I had not heard them in ages and ages.. Dark Entries dark entries.. ooooooh... who else do you rate and stuff?? like what is big on your playlists right now?? xo

you like Bauhaus.. you like these from I think 1980s too maybe? I love this sound.. what kind of sound is this? they said it was goth I do not think it is goth like Fields of Nephilim and Sisters of Mercy.. is nice though right? sound like lying in bed winding thread round your fingers

Currently listening to this. I will check out that video shortly.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes my heart is a failure so now I run off of a battery I could not let Johnny Marr near that with his magnetic persona might cause me a circuitry freak out haha.. ooh I like that you like Eagulls a little.. wow Bauhaus I had not heard them in ages and ages.. Dark Entries dark entries.. ooooooh... who else do you rate and stuff?? like what is big on your playlists right now?? xo

you like Bauhaus.. you like these from I think 1980s too maybe? I love this sound.. what kind of sound is this? they said it was goth I do not think it is goth like Fields of Nephilim and Sisters of Mercy.. is nice though right? sound like lying in bed winding thread round your fingers

Sounds like a lot of music that got played on this show, run by my buddy Devon Marcel. Actually he quit in January 2016, but there is plenty of back episodes to hear. Enjoy!

User Account

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Growing up it all seems so one-sided
Opinions all provided
The future pre-decided
Detached and subdivided
In the mass production zone"

Rush - Subdivisions

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Lin Manuel Miranda is a genius. The more I see of him freestyle rapping, the more I appreciate his sharp wit and facility with the English language. He is a real treasure. Hamilton is brilliant. Lyrically, the entire thing is a masterpiece, but I like this song quite a bit. It's a rap battle between Hamilton and Jefferson:

Cabinet Battle #1 Lyrics

Broadway musical (2015)
Hamilton the Musical - Cabinet Battle #1 Lyrics

WASHINGTON:
Ladies and gentlemen, you coulda been anywhere in the world tonight,
but you’re here with us in New York City.
Are you ready for a cabinet meeting???

The issue on the table: Secretary Hamilton’s plan to assume state debt
and establish a national bank.
Secretary Jefferson, you have the floor, sir

JEFFERSON:
‘Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.’
We fought for these ideals; we shouldn’t settle for less
These are wise words, enterprising men quote ‘em
Don’t act surprised, you guys, cuz I wrote ‘em

JEFFERSON & MADISON:
Oww

JEFFERSON:
But Hamilton forgets
His plan would have the government assume state’s debts
Now, place your bets as to who that benefits:
The very seat of government where Hamilton sits

HAMILTON:
Not true!

JEFFERSON:
Ooh, if the shoe fits, wear it
If New York’s in debt—
Why should Virginia bear it? Uh! Our debts are paid, I’m afraid
Don’t tax the South cuz we got it made in the shade
In Virginia, we plant seeds in the ground
We create. You just wanna move our money around
This financial plan is an outrageous demand
And it’s too many damn pages for any man to understand
Stand with me in the land of the free
And pray to God we never see Hamilton’s candidacy
Look, when Britain taxed our tea, we got frisky
Imagine what gon’ happen when you try to tax our whisky

WASHINGTON:
Thank you, Secretary Jefferson. Secretary Hamilton, your response

HAMILTON:
Thomas. That was a real nice declaration
Welcome to the present, we’re running a real nation
Would you like to join us, or stay mellow
Doin’ whatever the hell it is you do in Monticello?
If we assume the debts, the union gets
A new line of credit, a financial diuretic
How do you not get it? If we’re aggressive and competitive
The union gets a boost. You’d rather give it a sedative?
A civics lesson from a slaver. Hey neighbor
Your debts are paid cuz you don’t pay for labor
“We plant seeds in the South. We create.”
Yeah, keep ranting
We know who’s really doing the planting
And another thing, Mr. Age of Enlightenment
Don’t lecture me about the war, you didn’t fight in it
You think I’m frightened of you, man?
We almost died in a trench
While you were off getting high with the French
Thomas Jefferson, always hesitant with the President
Reticent—there isn’t a plan he doesn’t jettison
Madison, you’re mad as a hatter, son, take your medicine
Damn, you’re in worse shape than the national debt is in
Sittin’ there useless as two shits
Hey, turn around, bend over, I’ll show you
Where my shoe fits

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Motorhead yes tho when I hear them it was probably all finished up.. Speed freak!! yes.. Was blonde now is going white.. is still long? And that guy rattling round he got little smarter and turn things around.. good for him! He still have a say in how you conduct your self now?

QotSA.. big favourite!! :) Brody Dalle is only one degree of separation from Josh Homme :) my heroine <3

I have never heard Brody Dalle before, and I like it, thank you for posting that.

This is more my era though :)

But with all this talk of Motorhead I jsut have to post this

I actually use to play that on the guitar.... it is not hard.... just loud and obnoxious ;)

Long hair, nope, it is short and I beleive starting to leave me. I was not able to get to the barber for longer than I would usually go these days, and it was no where near as long as it once was and it was driving me crazy. I have no idea how I kept it as long as it use to be.

As for how I use to be, that only seems to appear these days when I get upset at certain things.

And to show the difference, my youngest is a viola player (also a pianist) in a symphony and she was at a music camp and they had a concert with chamber music, classical symphony performances, pianists and contemporary music and the stage had to be changed between performances and these well dressed young men would come out and rearrange things and every single time it made me smile that it caused this song to run through my head

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the most beautiful sad songs ever. Too bad Kozelek has been making such an *** of himself lately.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lyrics to the last video I shared. (Red House Painters, "Katy Song")

Some escape some door to open
This path seems the blackest but I
Guess it's the soonest
But there in the clearing I
Know you'll be wearing
Your young aching smile and
Waving your hand
Can't go with my heart when I
Can't feel what's in it I
Thought you'd come over
But for some reason you didn't
Glass on the pavement under my shoe
Without you is all my life amounts to

A final sleep no
Words from my cutting
Mouth to your ear or
Taut wicked pinches
From my fingers to your bitter face
That I can't heal
I know tomorrow
You will be
Somewhere in London
Living with someone
You've got some kind of family
There to turn to
And that's more than I could ever give you

A chance for calm
A hope for freedom
Outlet from my cold solitary kingdom
By the forest of our spring stay
Where you walked away
And left a bleeding part of me
Empty and bothered
Watching the water
Quiet in the corner
Numb and falling through
Without you what does my life amount to

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today's study question:

Are sad people drawn to sad music, or does sad music make people sad? By that I don't mean sad for a minute; I mean, can it change a person's disposition completely? I guess it depends on your willpower. LOL

I'm just thinking of my good old grandma today, who heard me listening to the Cure once and said, "No wonder you're so mopey all the time."

The thing is, I was mopey long before I listened to music, for various reasons: parents divorced by age 6, then introduced less than a year later to a stepfather who was right out of a movie in terms of living up to the lousy rotten SOB stepfather stereotype. With all of this in mind, I was drawn to sad music because for me it was kind of reassuring, in that I wasn't the only miserable twerp in the world.

Feel free to discuss.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Today's study question:

Are sad people drawn to sad music, or does sad music make people sad? By that I don't mean sad for a minute; I mean, can it change a person's disposition completely? I guess it depends on your willpower. LOL

I'm just thinking of my good old grandma today, who heard me listening to the Cure once and said, "No wonder you're so mopey all the time."

The thing is, I was mopey long before I listened to music, for various reasons: parents divorced by age 6, then introduced less than a year later to a stepfather who was right out of a movie in terms of living up to the lousy rotten SOB stepfather stereotype. With all of this in mind, I was drawn to sad music because for me it was kind of reassuring, in that I wasn't the only miserable twerp in the world.

Feel free to discuss.
Option three, happy people also like sad music. You don't have to be sad in order to appreciate the blues.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Today's study question:

Feel free to discuss.
There are not songs that fill you with joy and lift your heart at hearing? What stand in your way to not being miserable? None of your music ameliorate your misery?? Is like even The Cure have more than plenty of peppy song and moreover where there is not peppy there can be hopefulness.. in this I do not hear misery I hear hope.. always there is hope.. can be a mindset maybe???

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are not songs that fill you with joy and lift your heart at hearing? What stand in your way to not being miserable? None of your music ameliorate your misery?? Is like even The Cure have more than plenty of peppy song and moreover where there is not peppy there can be hopefulness.. in this I do not hear misery I hear hope.. always there is hope.. can be a mindset maybe???

and this, there is a hope yes

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

Have you ever heard songs from them like "Prayers for Rain," or "Disintegration," or "Untitled?" Those are full of sadness.

Anyway, that addresses my mentality, but not the question I asked. LOL

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you ever heard songs from them like "Prayers for Rain," or "Disintegration," or "Untitled?" Those are full of sadness.

Anyway, that addresses my mentality, but not the question I asked. LOL
Yes I know those song also.. well maybe I am just more interested in you as person than hypotheticals :D and maybe in those Cure song you hear sadness maybe I hear longing.. is not same thing yes?? is possible there is not sad song and but hopeful instead?? Like Transatlanticism is sad song? or what kind of song is it?? You mention sad person.. how do you define what is a sad person? Even you are speaking clinically any depressive disorder is a mental and physiological state of being.. is not a definition of a person you would not agree??? :) xo

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have never heard Brody Dalle before, and I like it, thank you for posting that.

This is more my era though :)

But with all this talk of Motorhead I jsut have to post this

I actually use to play that on the guitar.... it is not hard.... just loud and obnoxious ;)

Long hair, nope, it is short and I beleive starting to leave me. I was not able to get to the barber for longer than I would usually go these days, and it was no where near as long as it once was and it was driving me crazy. I have no idea how I kept it as long as it use to be.

As for how I use to be, that only seems to appear these days when I get upset at certain things.

And to show the difference, my youngest is a viola player (also a pianist) in a symphony and she was at a music camp and they had a concert with chamber music, classical symphony performances, pianists and contemporary music and the stage had to be changed between performances and these well dressed young men would come out and rearrange things and every single time it made me smile that it caused this song to run through my head

Motorhead come to mind when you are at your little me chamber music concert?? Haha see you are just bad to the bone like thru and thru :D And so what is your hair now? tidy and short for your work? then at night when you go cruising on your steed leather jacket muted against the sunset you slick your hair back yes.. ooh ooh now I am imagining you like Negan off of Walking dead.. oooh baby..

you have a space for Corey whatsit.. Stone sour?? Maybe is too noisy.. plus I think he might be saying bad words..

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I know those song also.. well maybe I am just more interested in you as person than hypotheticals :D and maybe in those Cure song you hear sadness maybe I hear longing.. is not same thing yes?? is possible there is not sad song and but hopeful instead?? Like Transatlanticism is sad song? or what kind of song is it?? You mention sad person.. how do you define what is a sad person? Even you are speaking clinically any depressive disorder is a mental and physiological state of being.. is not a definition of a person you would not agree??? :) xo

Of course it is a mental state and not a person, but that isn't how most people think. For example, my grandmother's remark about how I was always "mopey." As for hopeful...maybe some songs that sound sad could be interpreted that way, but not all. Some are just plain sad. To wit:

The Cure, "Untitled"

Hopelessly fighting the devil futility,
feeling the monster crying deeper inside of me,
feeling him gnawing my heart away hungrily.
I'll never lose this pain,
never dream of you again.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of course it is a mental state and not a person, but that isn't how most people think. For example, my grandmother's remark about how I was always "mopey." As for hopeful...maybe some songs that sound sad could be interpreted that way, but not all. Some are just plain sad. To wit:

The Cure, "Untitled"

Hopelessly fighting the devil futility,
feeling the monster crying deeper inside of me,
feeling him gnawing my heart away hungrily.
I'll never lose this pain,
never dream of you again.
I get you.. though sadness is a judgement not a fact.. you agree no? Is subjective.. Therefore is choice to make.. a person can to apply to that lyric which perhaps depict an event real or imagined for Robert Smith.. Is like.. this thing happen.. you can choose whether to levy a tax of sadness upon it or whether to accept is in FACT an event that happen and to neither feel sadness nor joy.. only to look for and to find the hope within it???

I can also ask you a hypothetical then yes? People that you would say are sad.. to what extent can it be said that such person prefer sadness to joy? xo

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Motorhead come to mind when you are at your little me chamber music concert?? Haha see you are just bad to the bone like thru and thru :D And so what is your hair now? tidy and short for your work? then at night when you go cruising on your steed leather jacket muted against the sunset you slick your hair back yes.. ooh ooh now I am imagining you like Negan off of Walking dead.. oooh baby..

you have a space for Corey whatsit.. Stone sour?? Maybe is too noisy.. plus I think he might be saying bad words..

Don't know why, but you made me think of this with your post...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Speaking of blasts from the past...this has been running through my head today..

and this one has been popping into my demented little noggin for about 2 weeks now