Shadow boxing with weights

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tennis ball but with a tennis bat go at 100 mph and probably a lot Father than you can throw a base ball. Wind resistance isn't the biggest issue

The two are the same, if you take the release of the ball and the landing of the punch as the same moment, Ie the conversion between kinetic energy and force.Not forget that kinetic energy is speed based not acceleration dependent

Your arm is really quite heavy half a pound weight added will make Only a very slight diffeance To how quickly you can reach max acceleration,, once you have reached max acceleration, which will happen early in the punching action the extra weight will add momentum making the PUNching arm movE quicker than if it was empty.

So yes marginally slower to reach max acceleration,But accelerated for longEr to a higher speed and Hold that speed better t

1. Now you're comparing throwing a baseball vs. being hit with a bat, which are two different things.
2. I don't see what the velocity of a ball being hit with a bat has to do with throwing a punch. If anything, it's an argument for using weapons, which is off topic in this discussion.
3. With the same amount of force, your maximum acceleration will be less with additional weight. It doesn't matter how much, the formula won't change. The overall punch will be slower with weights than it will without. You are correct there will probably be more kinetic energy, but kinetic energy is speed and other factors. It is the other factors, not the speed, which are increasing the kinetic energy in this case.
4. Why a half-pound weight? Two pounds was brought up as the "light" weight. I've done this exercise with 5-10 pound weights. I mean, sure, you can use a half-pound weight, but I don't really see the point then. As you said, it's not that much different from your arm.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two pounds was brought up as the "light" weight. I've done this exercise with 5-10 pound weights. I mean, sure, you can use a half-pound weight, but I don't really see the point then. As you said, it's not that much different from your arm.

I know it wasn't directed at me, but...

Did you find 5-10lb weights useful?

I'd say 0.5-1lb simulates a glove (but why not use gloves?).

About 2-3lb (1-1.5kg, which is what I use sometimes) I'd call ideal - it's enough over a boxing glove weight to subsequently make the gloves feel light.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

About 2-3lb (1-1.5kg, which is what I use sometimes) I'd call ideal - it's enough over a boxing glove weight to subsequently make the gloves feel light.

I've done it once or twice, not often or consistently enough to give you a scientific analysis.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1. Now you're comparing throwing a baseball vs. being hit with a bat, which are two different things.
2. I don't see what the velocity of a ball being hit with a bat has to do with throwing a punch. If anything, it's an argument for using weapons, which is off topic in this discussion.
3. With the same amount of force, your maximum acceleration will be less with additional weight. It doesn't matter how much, the formula won't change. The overall punch will be slower with weights than it will without. You are correct there will probably be more kinetic energy, but kinetic energy is speed and other factors. It is the other factors, not the speed, which are increasing the kinetic energy in this case.
4. Why a half-pound weight? Two pounds was brought up as the "light" weight. I've done this exercise with 5-10 pound weights. I mean, sure, you can use a half-pound weight, but I don't really see the point then. As you said, it's not that much different from your arm.
It will slow the rate of acceleration, not the amount of acceleration experienced/ reached during the THrow/ punch, it's takes longer to get up to speed but a greater speed is acheiv d, or its still quicker from point a to point b,

It's the difference between hitting max speed after 10 m of a hundred meter sprint and reaching a greater speed after 40 m, He didn't accelerate as quickly but he accelerated for longer and will be FASTer

The point is as with any resistance training, once you take the resistance away you perform better. I consider that half a pound of so is the optimum for developing speed, to much resistance and it will take to long to see any results, or you need to build it up in half pound increments

It's the same with a bat, it takes longer to get it up to fill speed, but the speed you do get is far greater

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think you can work on your punches with reasonably heavy weights, but not by punching with them, so much as laying on your back on a bench and " punching " them skyward as fast as you can, there more sense in the blocking move being practised with reasonable resistance

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you can work on your punches with reasonably heavy weights, but not by punching with them, so much as laying on your back on a bench and " punching " them skyward as fast as you can, there more sense in the blocking move being practised with reasonable resistance

I'd agree with that, much over double the weight of a boxing glove and standing you'll be putting too much effort into holding it up than actually punching forward.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
so lately I've been doing some shadow boxing rounds with small weights something I've never done before but I've noticed a lot of benefits from it my arms feel stronger and when I don't use them I can punch faster and harder. It's been interesting to see how it develops. Anyone else use this? I know there's some people who believe doing that slows you down but I haven't noticed it
Yes, actually. If Im doing shadow boxing rounds at home (generally on Saturday), I use two of the purple 2 pound weights from the other halfs girly weight set. I would swear by doing it weighted, i believe it helps both speed and power.

Reactions: pdg

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
so lately I've been doing some shadow boxing rounds with small weights something I've never done before but I've noticed a lot of benefits from it my arms feel stronger and when I don't use them I can punch faster and harder. It's been interesting to see how it develops. Anyone else use this? I know there's some people who believe doing that slows you down but I haven't noticed it

It works as long as you don't go too heavy on the weight. I mean, from what I have dealt with, even doing 5 pounds is too much. I stick to 2. Otherwise it becomes a battle against gravity.