*SF soldier dies after bar fight over Jimmy Buffett song in Steamboat*

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is the crap that happens when you mix poor upbringing, alcohol, and ego, nothing good ever comes of it. Nothing wrong with walking away. So sad...................

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is the crap that happens when you mix poor upbringing, alcohol, and ego, nothing good ever comes of it. Nothing wrong with walking away. So sad...................

For the Capotes, yes.

The witnesses interviewed by police stated that the Capotes instigated the fight, and all seemed to agree that neither Lopez nor the Mottlaus fought back.

But I don't think that is a comment attributable to Sgt. First Class Lopez.

Decorated history

Lopez, a recipient of the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart, was assigned to the 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne) at North Carolina’s Fort Bragg. His previous tours included Fort Campbell, Ky.; South Korea; Gainesville, Fla.; Iraq; and Afghanistan, according to a news release from the United States Army Special Operations Command News Service.

Lopez’s ex-wife told the Rocky Mountain News that Lopez had just returned from a tour of duty in Afghanistan. He was vacationing in Steamboat Springs with his 16-year-old son Nicholas, of Jacksonville, Fla., and the Mottlaus, said Shannon Boahn, who was married to Lopez for eight years.

Timothy Mottlau is in the Navy, and Wesley Mottlau is in the Army, and they live in Norfolk, Va., and Fayetteville, N.C., respectively. The Mottlaus originally are from Steamboat Springs. They were treated at Yampa Valley Medical Center for minor injuries in the wake of the fight, according to police.

Lopez was found unconscious in the crosswalk at Seventh Street and Lincoln Avenue when police arrived at about 12:15 a.m. Friday in response to multiple 911 calls. Lopez was transported to Yampa Valley Medical Center via ambulance and was later airlifted to Denver Health Medical Center, where he died at 4:16 a.m. Monday.

Lopez was born Nov. 17, 1971, in San Luis Obispo, Calif., and attended Arroyo Grande High School in Arroyo Grande, Calif., according to the Army. He enlisted in 1993.

Before joining the Special Forces, Lopez served as a platoon sergeant with the 82nd Airborne Division, as an army recruiter and as a scout-sniper. His awards and decorations include the Bronze Star with two oak leaf clusters, the Purple Heart, the Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster, the Army Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters, and the Army Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters.

http://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/2009/jan/07/lopez_died_head_injury/

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suspect the icy conditions is why the brothers are not being charged with one of the manslaughter degrees. Probably a good call by the DA.

At this point those charges could still be upgraded if new evidence is uncovered, can't they?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At this point those charges could still be upgraded if new evidence is uncovered, can't they?

I believe so. I think with the case as it currently stands, there is not enough evidence to support the higher charges, much to the dismay of the Lopez family.

One of the articles I read mentions that Colorado law has very specific requirements/indicators (I forget the proper legal term for the circumtances) that must be met in order for a crime to be classified as a homicide or as a muder, and that this incident did not meet requirements.

Another article said that there was no snow or ice on the ground when Sgt. First Class Lopez was visiting..............

OP
BLACK LION

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good eye Carol as I read conflicting reports... ice was mentioned as well as pavement or sidewalk...

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a sad event for sure. It doesn't matter the how's, who's or where's so much as it didn't have to happen. This country has lost another good military member over stupidity.