Several Hundred Martial Artists Gathered Today

T

The Prof

Greetings Everyone!

Several hundred Martial Artists gathered today at the Palm Bay Funeral Home in Palm Bay Florida. They came from out of state and near to pay respects and celebrate the life of GM Moses Powell who passed away last Sunday.

The place was jammed to all four walls and finding a place to stand was impossible. The parking lot was so jammed that you could barely walk through it.

Moses and I have know each other for nearly forty-four years, since he and I were Brown Belts together under our Sensei Prof. Vee. Back then Prof. Vee was a 3rd Dan.

GM Powell was without a doubt one the most talented Martial Artists ever. Some of you "Old Timers" will remember his performances in Aaron Banks’ Oriental World Of Self Defense which packed Madison Square Garden for years.

Not to take anything away from the Gracie’s, but while they dazzled all of us with their magnificent fighting skills, it was in fact my brother GM Moses Powell who first catapulted Ju Jitsu into the national spotlight. He was the preeminent black martial artist. The very first of the greatest. In my books second only to the all time greatest, Muhammad Ali.

Accolades galore by many speakers of which I was privilged to be one. We all spoke and told stories that brought applause and laughter. Yes, there were many tears too. But those tears were for ourselves, not for GM Powell. Since having major cervical spin surgery his quality of life was diminished as he was confined to a wheel chair. Although he could walk a short distance with some help, he was in great pain.

A true warrior, he never complained or let anyone know the depth of his pain. Only his beloved Gina knew. She tended to him daily helping him with his normal body functions. She did it devoutedly and gladly without complaining.

Yes we shed tears today for ourselves because we loved him and will miss him. But in our sadness, we find joy in knowing that he is now where God wished to place him and finally, he is "Free At Last."

Rest in peace my brother, I’ll be seeing you before too long.

The Prof

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Having seen him on the aWarrior Within made me feel cool to be a martial artist

He will be missed
Todd

OP
T

The Prof

The Kai said:
Having seen him on the aWarrior Within made me feel cool to be a martial artist

He will be missed
Todd
Hi Sensei,

Moses was something else. He really had a flair about him. He could hold a screaming audience on the edge if their seats.

I was really devestated when I saw him in that wheelchair. Bless his soul.

Prof