Seriously sick of all this...

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So those who keep up with my threads know my issues with my former instructor basically him upset that I'm training in other styles. But I thought it was all over now but tonight I got an email from a high ranking instructor from America who used to run the club I used to train at before moving away and starting his own club. But basically the email said I had disgraced the art of kenpo and ed parker would be ashamed of me and I am obviously not a real black belt and told me he had the power to stop me entering any kenpo school on the planet and that i shoukd be removed from the entire martial arts community and the only way to resolve all this is to go to my instructor get on my knees bow to him and remove my black belt and put on a white belt and offer to start from scratch.

Yeah I reckon this will sound fake to some because it's so ridiculous but sadly not...at first I thought it was a hoax from a friend who was just having a laugh making fun of the whole situation but no that was the offical email....and I've met that guy once or twice but my instructor obviously gave him my email address.....frankly I am seriously pissed off now and I was more than happy to let this slide but this is getting close to harassment levels now.

gerardbu07059

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am sorry that you are having such an experience. It is a shame that he is such a closed minded person. It is also sad that he would hold you hostage by taking advantage for your thirst for knowledge. I would look for a different dojo where they will honor your black belt before it continues to escalate and make some excuse that is due to you having moved and being closer to that other dojo.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So those who keep up with my threads know my issues with my former instructor basically him upset that I'm training in other styles. But I thought it was all over now but tonight I got an email from a high ranking instructor from America who used to run the club I used to train at before moving away and starting his own club. But basically the email said I had disgraced the art of kenpo and ed parker would be ashamed of me and I am obviously not a real black belt and told me he had the power to stop me entering any kenpo school on the planet and that i shoukd be removed from the entire martial arts community and the only way to resolve all this is to go to my instructor get on my knees bow to him and remove my black belt and put on a white belt and offer to start from scratch.

Yeah I reckon this will sound fake to some because it's so ridiculous but sadly not...at first I thought it was a hoax from a friend who was just having a laugh making fun of the whole situation but no that was the offical email....and I've met that guy once or twice but my instructor obviously gave him my email address.....frankly I am seriously pissed off now and I was more than happy to let this slide but this is getting close to harassment levels now.
If that's the kind of thing this guy is sending, he's being told something different than we are. As usual, I assume everyone's version of a story is inaccurate (human memory, at its best, is inaccurate and easily altered by emotion), but this guy apparently received a very different version of the story.

Of course, while he may be able to ban you from all the schools within the association he's in, he'd have no useful influence in most outside that branch of Kenpo (I seem to recall the art was fractured after EP's death). His sending that without asking for your input, to attempt to get an accurate view of the situation, IMO, shows poor leadership.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sorry that you are having such an experience. It is a shame that he is such a closed minded person. It is also sad that he would hold you hostage by taking advantage for your thirst for knowledge. I would look for a different dojo where they will honor your black belt before it continues to escalate and make some excuse that is due to you having moved and being closer to that other dojo.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
To be honest Im not in a rush to find anywhere else I'm fine with doing what I'm doing now with Muay Thai and bjj and I'll continue to train the kenpo forms and techniques in my own time

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

come on mate lighten up, this is there problem not yours,
personally id post the belt to him with a " shove it " note and go and do something else that's not ruled by petty small minded fools

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
If that's the kind of thing this guy is sending, he's being told something different than we are. As usual, I assume everyone's version of a story is inaccurate (human memory, at its best, is inaccurate and easily altered by emotion), but this guy apparently received a very different version of the story.

Of course, while he may be able to ban you from all the schools within the association he's in, he'd have no useful influence in most outside that branch of Kenpo (I seem to recall the art was fractured after EP's death). His sending that without asking for your input, to attempt to get an accurate view of the situation, IMO, shows poor leadership.
I don't think he's even part of a lineage apart from his own students and in my area there's none of them around apart from that one so it makes no difference to me but frankly If they do do that I don't care. If it means that much I'll hand them my black belt. It's just a bit of fabric to me. I know what my skills are and how good I am I don't need a belt to prove anything

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Dang. LOL He doesn't have that power. I promise you that. If you show up as a white belt a tournament, you can get your name on a list, but nobody in America cares what another kenpo organization says. We will take ya. :D

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dang. LOL He doesn't have that power. I promise you that. If you show up as a white belt a tournament, you can get your name on a list, but nobody in America cares what another kenpo organization says. We will take ya. :D
Oh I know that's total bs I know he could barely do that even in his own students schools its just about how pathetic they are

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Headhunter

Your only reply to that email should be:

laughter.gif

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is how it is in many martial arts schools. This happens when cultures clash. I know a few months ago I had to do a big apology. The only reason that I made it so big was because of the respect that I have for the school that I was said to have offended and because of the respect that I have for my Sifu. Unfortunately it's easier to offend in many martial arts schools and that's because it's a cultural thing.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

I would publish the email, it says something about his character, not yours. Seriously, what a loser.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is how it is in many martial arts schools. This happens when cultures clash. I know a few months ago I had to do a big apology. The only reason that I made it so big was because of the respect that I have for the school that I was said to have offended and because of the respect that I have for my Sifu. Unfortunately it's easier to offend in many martial arts schools and that's because it's a cultural thing.
If you didn't do anything wrong then you shouldn't have to apologise I'd never apologise for this because frankly I did nothing wrong. I don't care how much I respect someone for their skills I'm never going to bow down to them and act like they're a god that's just not me (not saying you're doing that either by the way just meant in general)

To many instructors seem to think that having a high rank means they can tell people how to live their entire life. Well to me an instructor is simply someone who teaches in class they have no authority outside their class they're just a normal person the same as me outside a school

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ignore them all. You left them and they still think they are your bosses!? Sad. There is nothing between you now. Apart bad feelings...

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To many instructors seem to think that having a high rank means they can tell people how to live their entire life. Well to me an instructor is simply someone who teaches in class they have no authority outside their class they're just a normal person the same as me outside a school
Right. Some people is quite 'special' and if we want to train with them we need to accept some weird things. But outside of the organisation or training, it is completely another story.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah but if I do that it'll only open more problems

Expose this guy for being a tool? All that red on his belt is far less meaningful that he seems to think it is, and that he is making this situation personal. Expose it for the petty politics that it is.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I'd ignore those a-holes. Seriously. Not worth the aggravation.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you didn't do anything wrong then you shouldn't have to apologise I'd never apologise for this because frankly I did nothing wrong. I don't care how much I respect someone for their skills I'm never going to bow down to them and act like they're a god that's just not me (not saying you're doing that either by the way just meant in general)

then people get all upity if ma schools are compared to cults, there is seriously elements of this tale that are very cultish, that they think that they are that important that you would bow down and beg forgiveness or be excommunicated from the church of kempo.

Latest Discussions