Serak instruction

SilatFan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would like to study this art and have access to a particular teacher. When I went to a link on HIS page for his teachers website I read something disturbing. His teacher is Master Paul Dethouars but his teacher says that he is not teaching with his permission. The site is http://www.buktinegara.com/growth.html

There are several instructors that are listed so I dont think Im pointing him out specifically. But can anyone in the know tell me if I can learn the system of serak accurately from the teachers listed and what the dissagreement is about. If its to personal I understand but can you atleast tell me if the Serak they teach is legit?

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No clue here. If it was Bill, then I might be able to find the bone of contention; but I have no interaction with Paul's group.

That said (and the reason I'm posting); it could be anything. It could be that the instructor you saw didn't advance far enough or wasn't considered "good teaching material". On the other hand, it could be a disagreement over some aspect of hormat, or simple fiscal issues.

Anyone here closer to the source that can shed more light?

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SilatFan said:
I would like to study this art and have access to a particular teacher. When I went to a link on HIS page for his teachers website I read something disturbing. His teacher is Master Paul Dethouars but his teacher says that he is not teaching with his permission. The site is http://www.buktinegara.com/growth.html

There are several instructors that are listed so I dont think Im pointing him out specifically. But can anyone in the know tell me if I can learn the system of serak accurately from the teachers listed and what the dissagreement is about. If its to personal I understand but can you atleast tell me if the Serak they teach is legit?

I don't know which you're referring to but here's a general guideline that you might find useful. Never forget that politics can color things in odd ways. I'm not saying that the page you posted is politically influenced but it's always something to keep in mind when dealing with things you read and hear.

I personally take all statements - both good and bad - about people with a grain of salt until I've met them personally. With that said, get your salt ready for what I'm about to say because you don't know me and what I'm saying is hearsay to you and may even be political.

I have met and trained with three of the instructors listed there. I've trained with Victor at seminars, group classes and private lessons. He and I had some personal differences but he's a good martial artist with good knowledge to pass on and is pretty good at communicating it.

I have met and with Stevan Plinck at several seminars and spent some private time with him in Pak Victor's living room one night. He's incredibly skilled and physically adept. He's also very good at communicating his knowledge.

I've spent hundreds of hours at seminars with Dan Inosanto and attended a couple of classes with him at his academy. He's amazing on so many levels, it's not even funny.

As far as these guys not "abiding by the laws of Serak" ... I would personally say, FWIW, that each of these guys teaches what he learned from Paul (and other instructors) to the best of his abilities and from the heart.

I would recommend that you go check out the instructor near you. If it's one of the three I've mentioned then I'm sure you won't be disappointed. If it's Cliff Stewart then I can't personally say since I've never personally met or trained with him - but I have heard from several people whose opinions I trust that he's also top notch.

The most important thing, IMO, when looking for a MA teacher is to find one that suits you. If you like the instructor as a person, you like what s/he teaches and the way s/he teaches then that's going to be a good place for you to train.

Mike

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There must be some serious politicing going on, not that that is all that suprising in any MA. I don't have any real experience in the DeThours systems of Silat, but something must be up for Pak Paul to deny credits to Guru Inosanto and his own brother Pak Vic. One is family and the other (IMHO) is one of the most humble, talented and dedicated individuals ever to train martial arts.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:
There must be some serious politicing going on, not that that is all that suprising in any MA. I don't have any real experience in the DeThours systems of Silat, but something must be up for Pak Paul to deny credits to Guru Inosanto and his own brother Pak Vic. One is family and the other (IMHO) is one of the most humble, talented and dedicated individuals ever to train martial arts.

LOL. Well, the politics are pretty serious. Though they may not call them politics, that's what it seems to me.

I'm going to paraphrase Chas Clements - a long time student of Willem and Victor. "Politics are the martial arts of groups. When you're talking about a group of martial artists, the politics get that much more complicated."

As far as the stuff between the de Thouars brothers specifically - it's kinda the same thing as with politics. Brothers tend to fight. When all the brothers are martial artists, the fighting tends to get even more extreme.

Mike

OP
S

SilatFan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I won't get "tainted" if I take the opportunity to train with him.

D

DatuSadiq

Dear SilatFan:

If you are wanting to study this Art under any of these instructors, talk with them and maybe they will share with you the reasons. As with any consumer though, watch the class and meet the instructor, talk with them and see what connection you have with them.

Darrell Sarjeant

OP
S

SilatFan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Mr. Sarjeant. Unfortunatly this is gonna be more of a all or nothing kind of opportunity. No real time for "feelling out." But I do appretiate the advice.

Latest Discussions