Seminars to other styles (or open)

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
With regard to finger locks and BJJ, I'll just repeat something I mention sometimes when people say "style X (boxing/wrestling/Judo/whatever) is a sport, they don't know how to do (insert dirty tactic here), it's against the rules."

If the technique in question is against the rules, it doesn't necessarily mean a competitor in that sport doesn't know how to use it. It may just mean they know how to do it in such a way that the ref can't see it.

Just saying...

I understand what you mean by style x and dirty tactics, I'll come back to that. I was thinking of one FMA concept that could be taught to BJJ practitioners. Defanging is a major concept that I think many martial arts could incorporate. Regarding seminars I think having a more concept based approach offers the attendees a better opportunity to expand their knowledge opposed to only showing techniques.

Dirty tactics aren't really a "you don't know this technique", which I agree people incorrectly make it out to be that. But I think it has more to do with changing the way people think. Something as simple as eye gouging or finger breaking can be done by most people, but instilling the mindset of how you would deal with a fight differently opposed to rolling in practice is a crucial thing to ingrain. Meaning in a training environment we obviously can't practice such techniques to completion. However; they are techniques that should be used in a real altercation(eye gouging only in extreme cases) if the opportunity presents itself and the concept should at least be touched on and incorporated into training safely.

My Goju teacher had us do ground grappling at the end of sparring class. Though ground fighting isn't something I would consider a dirty tactic, it's still something as Karateka we needed to start thinking about and incorporating into training.

The OP even used the example of BJJ practitioners that have a more self defense mindset, which makes the small joint(either finger or unfamiliar wrist locks) that much more appropriate.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At first I was considering what I would teach BJJ guys at a seminar, small joint locks or stick grappling. Yes,we do a lot of stick grappling in FMA and it's amazing all the locks and chokes you can do with them. However; I think the small joint locks will click with BJJ guys a bit better, and after the seminar they should be able to practice and incorporate them into their regular practice. Stick grappling on the other hand will be more foreign to BJJ practitioners, they will most likely have a very difficult time incorporating it into into their regular practice as well.
This is one of the areas I am considering here - whether I want to give them something easy to incorporate back at their school, without making any significant changes, or something for the individuals to pursue that is less likely to be covered in classes. I've gotten strong benefit from both types of seminars, personally.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At first I was considering what I would teach BJJ guys at a seminar, small joint locks or stick grappling. Yes,we do a lot of stick grappling in FMA and it's amazing all the locks and chokes you can do with them. However; I think the small joint locks will click with BJJ guys a bit better, and after the seminar they should be able to practice and incorporate them into their regular practice. Stick grappling on the other hand will be more foreign to BJJ practitioners, they will most likely have a very difficult time incorporating it into into their regular practice as well.
Personally I'd love to spend a seminar practicing stick grappling, but I don't know that I'm the most typical jiujiteiro around.