Self Defense usage of the Grappling Arts

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And while I am well versed in BJJ/Judo, I want to add more in the punch defense and so on. So what do you pontificate about in this area as it relates to self defense?

Striking skills are good, but you already have enough vs. most untrained people. Hip throw into the cement, with you dropping your knee on the face while grabbing the arm for a standing arm lock...popping the elbow and maybe wrist also. Stand up and stomp to the head or soccer kick if you want to take it further (but risk going to prison and/or sued). We drill this often. 1.5 to 2 seconds. Then move to the next guy (b/c BJJ dudes never have friends around).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
double post.

images

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
saw this on facebook. It kind off applies to half the threads on here. But I will shove it in this one.

Basic grappling and basic striking wins fights.
wins them in the dojo.
wins them in competition.
wins them in the street.

And there is no suprise why there is that common element.

That was awesome, I really enjoyed that.

But the one at the two minute mark that went on for a while - I'm so glad that second officer wasn't my partner. That boy needs some serious DT training. Teats on a bull, right there.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That was awesome, I really enjoyed that.

But the one at the two minute mark that went on for a while - I'm so glad that second officer wasn't my partner. That boy needs some serious DT training. Teats on a bull, right there.

When I did DT training that was pretty much the only thing I taught them.

If I grab them then you grab them. People muck around with bloody stupid signals and stuff to initiate a clamp. It is pretty simple. If we are fighting that is the signal.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Alles fechten kommt von Ringen" (all fencing comes from wrestling) HS. 3227a, circa 1389, Germany. If those whose primary mode of combat was armed and usually on horseback considered grappling to be the foundation of their art, then it's good enough for anyone. Like anything else, there's a time and place for it. It's never a bad idea to learn to strike well either. A seasoned wrestler/judoka/etc who boxes well is a fearsome opponent, to be sure. The scariest guys I know are mostly grapplers.

When weapons come out, and you can't deploy your own weapon or (preferably) use Nike-fu, being a good standup grappler is pretty much your only hope.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a question that comes through our gym from time to time, and it is also something I have been pontificating about as well. I know that I watch a lot of videos of street fights, self defense, concealed carry, and so on. And I know that the self defense classes I listen in on frequently discourage grappling. "You are on the ground and you are dead."

The main problem with BJJ only, is that the BJJer's face, has never been tested regularly at eating punches. Therefore, unless you've fought a lot, you may not know how you would react after getting punched hard there, and repeatedly. Many people who train Muay Thai or whatever, for years, may also not know neither because they often quit when there's too much sparring (light to med) and especially when the sparring raises in power levels. Self Defense people are usually the weakest in this dept., although they always claim that they have all of the bases covered better than anyone else.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The main problem with BJJ only, is that the BJJer's face, has never been tested regularly at eating punches. Therefore, unless you've fought a lot, you may not know how you would react after getting punched hard there, and repeatedly. Many people who train Muay Thai or whatever, for years, may also not know neither because they often quit when there's too much sparring (light to med) and especially when the sparring raises in power levels. Self Defense people are usually the weakest in this dept., although they always claim that they have all of the bases covered better than anyone else.

Most people don't like to get punched in the face. I don't mind. The foundation of our modern combatives curriculum is bareknuckle style boxing so we can have good movement, body awareness, and inoculation to a good jab to the snot box. We've had our share of bloody noses, but it's handy to know if you bleed easily. We have one guy we call "Spigot" because his nose bleeds so easily. Now he won't freak out seeing his own blood if he eats a good one. We also do the basics of grappling, both standing and on the ground. Knife defence is essentially high-stakes standup grappling. I supplement that part with both Judo and medieval wrestling.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Most people don't like to get punched in the face. I don't mind. The foundation of our modern combatives curriculum is bareknuckle style boxing so we can have good movement, body awareness, and inoculation to a good jab to the snot box. We've had our share of bloody noses, but it's handy to know if you bleed easily. We have one guy we call "Spigot" because his nose bleeds so easily. Now he won't freak out seeing his own blood if he eats a good one. We also do the basics of grappling, both standing and on the ground. Knife defence is essentially high-stakes standup grappling. I supplement that part with both Judo and medieval wrestling.
Spigot is a good nickname. We have guys with nicknames like "Earmuff" and "Nutshot."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Always", would imply an all or nothing statement which would only take ONE exception to disprove such.
Agreed, hence my question about this post (bolded the point in question):

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed, hence my question about this post (bolded the point in question):

Didn't know that I was under oath or some joint. The internet is some serious biznit. Ok, I'll help you out. Change it to:

Self Defense people are usually the weakest in this dept., although they often claim that they have many to all of the bases covered better than anyone else....wait, most anyone else, but not too much while more than somewhat anyone else.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Didn't know that I was under oath or some joint. The internet is some serious biznit. Ok, I'll help you out. Change it to:

Self Defense people are usually the weakest in this dept., although they often claim that they have many to all of the bases covered better than anyone else....wait, most anyone else, but not too much while more than somewhat anyone else.
Often?

Just kidding. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can take this whichever way you wish, but your statement about "always" was actually my point. You made the point for me. If you wish to mock it, that's up to you.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can take this whichever way you wish, but your statement about "always" was actually my point. You made the point for me. If you wish to mock it, that's up to you.

Didn't I correct it for you though? You're welcome.

Latest Discussions