Self Defense or Social Programs

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is it a correct assumption to say that without social programs to help people become successful, crime would increase? Is it a direct correllation? What do you think? My opinion is that crime comes from hopelessness and hopelessness comes from not being able to succeed. So anything that could help a person succeed, could indeed reduce the chances that the person would be inclined to crime. Anyone have stats for or against this position?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont have stats on that, but I can see that this would certainly help. I'm sure a certain amount of crime comes from lazyness, or looking for the "Quick Score" or from mental illness...

But Social programs to help people is a great idea.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Social programs are nice and do serve a useful purpose. However, even with the presence of these programs, there will ALWAYS be people who "slip through the cracks".

Programs may help reduce the "social ills" but can never ultimately resolve every problem.

As to your initial topic, self-defense or social programs, am I to interpret that to mean social programs are expected to defend the populance from whatever danger versus self protection?

If we draw lessons from history, even the most organized social program or social/governmental order can be expected to break down at times. When it does, what or where are the safety nets? These may not exist.

That leaves to the most fundamental responsibility, the protection of self and loved ones. The way of protection may take different methods--or combinations of methods and may sometimes be dictated by availability or training.

I'm thinking of several examples.

One example didn't happen too long ago....

Recall the LA Riots. It got out of hand quickly that even the law enforcement could not quell in time before damage occurred. Now where were help when needed? There were quite a few brave souls who fought through with martial arts or different tools to save themselves or others. Others chose to flee. Some took to firearms to protect family and/or property, etc. This was in the good 'ol USA.

Bottomline, social programs and social/governmental organizations are necessary, but these are not the last line of defense. WE ARE THE LAST LINE OF DEFENSE FOR OURSELVES.

- Ceicei

R

rmcrobertson

1. General theory in the Army: if they're close enough to see you, you should've left some time ago.

2. Why not apply martial arts moral conduct to the problem? Social justice IS self-defense; the best kind, because it cuts way, way down on the chance that you're going to have to hit anybody.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why not apply martial arts moral conduct to the problem?
This is a great theory, but building that moral code takes time, energy and self discipline. Far too many people in the world simply refuse to develop the self discipline needed to interact with others as a martial artist would.

As for crime coming from hopelessness, I assume we are talking violent crime. There are more and more executives making millions of dollars a year that are engaging in criminal activities of all kinds and they certainly are feeling hopeless.

Social programs are only going to aid a portion of the population. Quite often crime and criminals are created by a desire to feel empowered or part of a group (gang mentality). Others take part in violent crime simply for the adrenaline rush.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by theletch1
As for crime coming from hopelessness, I assume we are talking violent crime. There are more and more executives making millions of dollars a year that are engaging in criminal activities of all kinds and they certainly are feeling hopeless.

Social programs are only going to aid a portion of the population. Quite often crime and criminals are created by a desire to feel empowered or part of a group (gang mentality). Others take part in violent crime simply for the adrenaline rush.

Three points. Guillotine for white collar crimes - or at least equal punishment would cut this down. If a poor latino steals ten grand, they get ten years. If an exec steals 100 grand they get a year in club fed. hmmmm

Gangs have been argued to be the result of poor families. Wouldn't social justice and programs to help people succeed strengthen families?

Some people are addicted to violence. Not much we can do about that.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Crime is an extremely complex problem with a complex etiology. We need a multi-disciplinary approach to lowering (note I avoided saying "eliminating") it.

Some people are indeed addicted to crime. Sociopathic personalities and people with other personality disorders tend to have a high exciteability threshold. They crave stimulation and don't get it with the average, mundane, everyday things the rest of us do to keep entertained. Hence they seek excitement through adrenaline charged activities (robbery, burglary, fighting, speeding, car jacking, etc.) and drug use.

The old argument, "nature or nurture" is somewhat invalid in discussing crime. It is often both. A person descended from people with emotional/mental/personality problems often inherits those characteristics to some degree. Combine that with growing up with a dysfunctional family, a flourishing illicit drug culture, a crappy neighborhood, and the lack of educational opportunities...you get a crime, of course.

I'm not being an apologist for criminals, nor am I a "bleeding heart". I would, however, like to see children get a chance.

Yet when they grow up...should they come after me or my own...I'm going to whack 'em.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions