Self defense needs to be grounded in truth to be ethical.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This sounds an awful lot like you're advocating listening to stories, and using them to inform your training...something you've expressed disdain for when I've mentioned doing so. What have I missed in your message?

You want to run your tests more like myth busters. Actually see if the story are true.

And you seem to run your tests in order to make those stories true.

So someone defends a punch and the defense doesn't work. You mandate that the punch be made easier.

Because in the street punches are thrown in this manner. Because in the street they will throw with their right.

And that validates your defense. Without real fighting experience or good b.s. detection.

Eventually people think this is how a fight looks.

Do you know why it is always a right? Because if they could throw either hand you quite simply would never stop the punch.

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You want to run your tests more like myth busters. Actually see if the story are true.

So someone defends a punch and the defense doesn't work. You mandate that the punch be made easier.

Because in the street punches are thrown in this manner. Because in the street they will throw with their right.

And that validates your defense. Without real fighting experience or good b.s. detection.

Do you know why it is always a right? Because if they could throw either hand you quite simply would never stop the punch.

Posts like this are why it's impossible to take you seriously. The video clearly shows the guy throwing both hands.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I know zip about Krav maga.
I think I understand what you are saying but not sure I understand why you keep it under the "krav maga" banner. Is it commonly understood that krav is not necessarily taught as a MA? That is more a tool for physical exercise?

From Google:
Krav Maga is a military self-defense and fighting system developed for the Israel Defense Forces and Israeli security forces derived from a combination of techniques sourced from boxing, wrestling, aikido, judo, and karate along with realistic fight training.

I am just trying to understand what you are saying. If the class does not teach SD but instead it is a calisthenics and physical exercise class, why not call a spade a spade? Mixing terms IS crossing over into the oxymoronic. IMHO
I used krav maga because they are known for self defense, and the dojo near me has 'fitness days'.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I sure do wish I could find me one of them attackers that only throws that one right hand and stops punching because you do a nifty counter.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I sure do wish I could find me one of them attackers that only throws that one right hand and stops punching because you do a nifty counter.

I think it's a good way to drill at the beginner level. It's also a good way to demonstrate the technique for the purpose of instruction.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you use kick to counter punch (leg is longer than arm), it doesn't matter which arm that your opponent throws (left or right). It also doesn't matter what kind of punch that your opponent throws (jab, or cross, or ...).

After your kick, it will be your opponent's term to worry about how to deal with your punch.

If I want to develop a dependable SD skill, to use kick to stop all punches will be my #1 choice.

kick-against-punch.gif

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you use kick to counter punch (leg is longer than arm), it doesn't matter which arm that your opponent throws (left or right). It also doesn't matter what kind of punch that your opponent throws (jab, or cross, or ...).

After your kick, it will be your opponent's term to worry about how to deal with your punch.

kick-against-punch.gif
I wish that were true. A competent boxer's movement makes kicks hard to land. If they don't land (or not with any real impact), you're still immobile and on one leg while they counter.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

So this is EXACTLY like many of the videos you make fun of. What is so different about this one to you? There is a Ton of compliance going on there. Plus the guy was starting his punch from the next room not 'way outside'.

Edit: Oh, and I am left handed so you can bet at some point I am going to try to tag you with my left hand.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The front kick has been proved to be powerful in the ring.

Some things never change whether it is a punch or a kick. Snapping the head around by striking the 'off' button on the chin (jarring the obdulia oblongata) is like turning the light switch off.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some things never change whether it is a punch or a kick. Snapping the head around by striking the 'off' button on the chin (jarring the obdulia oblongata) is like turning the light switch off.
I like one size fix all solution.

If someone

- punches you, you'll kick his belly and then punch his face.
- kicks you, you'll catch his kicking leg and then take him down.

Your

1st line defense - kicking range.
2nd line defense - punching range.
3rd line defense - clinching range.

If you give up your 1st line defense and allow your opponent to enter the punching range, you may give up your 1st line defense without your opponent paying any price.

There are many ways to interrupt your opponent's punch. If you don't let your opponent to shift weight on to his leading foot, he can't punch you.

sweep-against-punch.gif

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So this is EXACTLY like many of the videos you make fun of. What is so different about this one to you? There is a Ton of compliance going on there. Plus the guy was starting his punch from the next room not 'way outside'.

Edit: Oh, and I am left handed so you can bet at some point I am going to try to tag you with my left hand.

He is making fun of that video. He says "that's what people think a fight is" after they've reduced the techniques the attacker uses.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I am making fun of that video.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

One of the things that revolutionised my training was the idea that I can't see punches coming at speed.

And so this theory that I would see a punch and then do....... quite simply no longer worked.

And so I then had to find way around fighting that didn't rely on me seeing punches.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You show me your training and I will point out those bits.
So, you start by making a claim about my training (one of several you've made), then you want to see the training you've already made claims of? You do realize you've just actually said you're going to be using full-on confirmation bias, looking for bits that support claims, rather than making claims based on evidence, right?

Pretty unabashedly biased. And pretty shameful. You're better than that most of the time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, you start by making a claim about my training (one of several you've made), then you want to see the training you've already made claims of? You do realize you've just actually said you're going to be using full-on confirmation bias, looking for bits that support claims, rather than making claims based on evidence, right?

Pretty unabashedly biased. And pretty shameful. You're better than that most of the time.
@drop bear, after I posted this, the irony hit me. You're doing in these posts what you're claiming I'm doing in my training. The difference in my claim and yours is that I've seen actual evidence of it.

Latest Discussions