Self Defense & Martial Arts Confusions and Misconceptions

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are training them to avoid a fight if possible, then you are training them to run away, . That's what the other guy said was the first rule of self defence. If your teaching them to stand up tp bullies and muggers and phycos, then good for you
Those two principles are not mutually exclusive, though you seem to miss that entirely.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the guys to scared to go to the toilet on his own in case someone attacks him, that's not phycobabble that a serious condition
Actually, you made that up. You're now arguing against yourself, so far as I can tell.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not particularly tough,I just stand up for myself and my family.

as a child, about 10 a gang of youths got me and made me kneel down, they said if I would kiss there feet they would let me go, I wouldn't so they kicked me in the face, I still wouldn't so they kicked me and kicked me and kicked me till I past out. Even at that age is was death before dishonour
Oh, give me that kind of "dishonor" before death any day. If it's a fight I have a chance of winning (or nothing to lose in it), then I'll fight. Accepting a beating so you aren't embarrassed is foolish, IMO.

(Mind you, there's a good reason not to cave to that kind of crap, but it's not the one you seem to put forth.)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, give me that kind of "dishonor" before death any day. If it's a fight I have a chance of winning (or nothing to lose in it), then I'll fight. Accepting a beating so you aren't embarrassed is foolish, IMO.

(Mind you, there's a good reason not to cave to that kind of crap, but it's not the one you seem to put forth.)
that's really the difference between warriors' and wuzzies. You will fight if you think you can win. Il win because I won't be beaten

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
to be honest, that's really the nub of the issue, I think any self respecting man would attack a gang to protect his sister, that you don't believe someone would do that, suggests that you wouldn't and you want to tar everyone else with the same brush

It's not that I don't believe someone would do that...it's that I don't believe you did that.

And I also don't feel the need to prove myself to some fake internet tough guy.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
that's really the difference between warriors' and wuzzies. You will fight if you think you can win. Il win because I won't be beaten

Make believe fights in your head are easy to win though.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
im not particularly tough,I just stand up for myself and my family.

as a child, about 10 a gang of youths got me and made me kneel down, they said if I would kiss there feet they would let me go, I wouldn't so they kicked me in the face, I still wouldn't so they kicked me and kicked me and kicked me till I past out. Even at that age is was death before dishonour
I'm not sure I believe this story, but either way it reminded me of one that happened to me at about the same age. 3rd grade in San Antonio in the 70's was like Lord of the Flies. We used to all wait at the bus stop in the morning, and a kid who was in the 7th grade would just terrorize us. He was a real bully, and if you think about the difference in size between an 8 year old and a 12 year old, that will give you some idea of what we were dealing with. Something he would do a lot is ride his bike around really fast, and then lock his brakes up and skid really close to us. The key was to not flinch and just hope he didn't actually hit you. One day, he ran into one of the girls pretty hard. While he had been tormenting us for months, he hadn't ever actually physically hurt anyone before. So, that morning, he knocked her back, she landed hard and hit her head. I lost it and jumped the guy. I'd had enough.

Long story short, he beat the **** out of me. Not only that, but as he's got me pinned to the ground, pounding on me, the bus came and everyone, including both the girl who got knocked over and the bus driver, left me there getting pounded.

I learned some lessons that day, but 'death before dishonor' wasn't one of them.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Make believe fights in your head are easy to win though.
i didn't win, I took three out with head butts then the others got me and roughed me up some before the bouncers intervened . Why would I make up a fight I lost? I've still got a scar over my eye where someone punched me with a big signet ring on.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except that you just said, "death before dishonour". That's not even remotely close to "I won't be beaten". You're doing worse at this as you progress.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i didn't win, I took three out with head butts then the others got me and roughed me up some before the bouncers intervened . Why would I make up a fight I lost? I've still got a scar over my eye where someone punched me with a big signet ring on.
That's what "I won't be beaten" sounds like? Sounds a lot like "I got beaten".

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you are training them to avoid a fight if possible, then you are training them to run away, .

Sign, again with the misunderstanding. Soldiers are trained to avoid fighting when they can't win, so the training involves a good deal more than just fighting.

the guys to scared to go to the toilet on his own in case someone attacks him, that's not phycobabble that a serious condition

Meow.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sign, again with the misunderstanding. Soldiers are trained to avoid fighting when they can't win, so the training involves a good deal more than just fighting.

Meow.
I wasn't refering to soldiers in that post

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
im not doubting that, but the people who show up at an mma gym arnt exactly representative of the general population.

or are you saying you could do that with absolutely anyone

Anyone. I didn't believe it myself either untill we did it.

From guys who try to fight with their eyes closed and their backs turned. To people who at the very least may not win fights but will fight their best untill the fighting is done.

But we can look at guys like jeff horn who took up boxing to protect himself from bullying.
How Jeff Horn from Brisbane became a boxing hero | Daily Mail Online

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lol

This is just Jobo internet tough guy talk.

"Some people are fighters others are wimps....I'm a tough guy and a fighter, blah, blah, blah."

In his defence it is not an uncommon stance. It is at least in part the idea behind it is the individual not the system.