Self Defense & Martial Arts Confusions and Misconceptions

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
what are you saying they don't have an interview process to weed out the unsuitable ones.

Mr jones, are you prepared o get,sent to a far away land, where people will try to kill you,?
no i just want to learn a trade and get a HGV. I'm not having people,shoot at me
sorry Mr jones your not really what we are looking for

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what are you saying they don't have an interview process to weed out the unsuitable ones.

Mr jones, are you prepared o get,sent to a far away land, where people will try to kill you,?
no i just want to learn a trade and get a HGV. I'm not having people,shoot at me

I refer you to my previous post about literacy. When you can actually understand what people are saying and post a reasoned reply, you will no longer be a troll.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
we all have a tenancy to either run fight or freeze. And if your a runner or,a freezer, then you are really stuck with that .
I can't agree with that at all. Once you have children it changes both you, and what you become capable of if called to protect them.

I would have frozen years ago, as getting myself into the right frame of mind would have been almost impossible. Now it's much easier.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't agree with that at all. Once you have children it changes both you, and what you become capable of if called to protect them.
so just with children involved then, otherwise I'm correct?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lol

This is just Jobo internet tough guy talk.

"Some people are fighters others are wimps....I'm a tough guy and a fighter, blah, blah, blah."

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
a group of blokes were pushing my sister around,it was 7 to one against me, but I attacked I put three down before they got me

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your arguing you can train them to not freeze /run away, when most of the training seems to be about running away. The,army don't train their troops to run away.they teach them to stand and fight to the last man, to die rather than run,away.
it doesn't really match what what you are,doing
And where, exactly, have you seen me say I train people how to run away? Once again, you're not doing well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the basis that you get interviewed to assess your personality type and then if your not up to it they throw you out cutting or after basic training.
people who ae,scared of fighting, bang noises and tanks don't get very far
You do know they train people to deal with those noises, right?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't describe the average,soldier as brave,

they are taught to with draw on command, their whole training is to remove free will so they only follow orders. Just running,away as people are,shooting at you is frowned upon.
unless its the,Dutch army, then pretty much anything goes

Well if ignorance is bliss you must be the happiest man here.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually, they (the US military) recruit quite a number of college-aged kids on just that premise: come and learn skills that will be useful in your career after the military. When I was recruited by the Marines (I didn't follow through, because I wanted to study a course they couldn't guarantee me), they were trying to get me in during the interview, not trying to weed me out. Most (I've been told) do psych profiles, but that's not for weeding out the folks you suppose will wet themselves. That's for weeding out the folks who might go maniac, so I've been told.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've taken many shots to the groin over the years. My experience is that it's really unpredictable. I've taken hard shots that didn't hurt at all, and also some hard shots that have almost made me throw up. But the same is true for a slight tap. Sometimes, it's incidental and doesn't hurt at all. But strangely, sometimes, you barely get hit and it's this kind of slow roll pain that just seems to build up over about a minute.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's for weeding out the folks who might go maniac, so I've been told.

As well as those that want to learn military skills and take them elsewhere when they have finished their time. Here that would be into a Northern Irish paramilitary group mostly or perhaps to the Middle East ( not ISIS in particular, many have a mind to become mercenaries having watched too many films). people are very aware what joining the military means these days, and in case they don't know it's laid out quit plainly to them. The days of squaddies being ignorant louts just looking for a job are long gone if in fact they ever existed. part of the training now involved academic qualifications (one needs a certain standard of education for promotion, a high number of soldiers at SNCO level have university degrees now, they study through the Open University and with help from the Army Education Service), recruits come out of basic training with national qualifications in computing and literacy skills. They go on to not only do their trade training but also educational.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It has been my experience that it depends - on the instructor. In a larger school, there's an opportunity to mix people with anyone and everyone, especially those that do not match up against each other physically, emotionally, mentally, whatever. Which, to me, is what Martial Arts is all about.
I assume that self defense schools welcome size and weight mismatches as this is probably the likely scenario for self defense in the street or bullying. Chances are that in a real fight there will be some size and weight disadvantages. In combat sports there is an assumption that there will be weight classes.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, they (the US military) recruit quite a number of college-aged kids on just that premise: come and learn skills that will be useful in your career after the military. When I was recruited by the Marines (I didn't follow through, because I wanted to study a course they couldn't guarantee me), they were trying to get me in during the interview, not trying to weed me out. Most (I've been told) do psych profiles, but that's not for weeding out the folks you suppose will wet themselves. That's for weeding out the folks who might go maniac, so I've been told.

Exactly. You can take someone who is likely to run, break them down and then build them back up into someone who will not run. That is the entire point of basic training actually. On the other hand that kind of training will often take someone on the border of uncontrolled violence and push them over that edge.

Also because we don't have any conflicts going on that require 10s of thousands in the field the military can be far more selective in terms of ASFAB scores etc.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And where, exactly, have you seen me say I train people how to run away? Once again, you're not doing well.
if you are training them to avoid a fight if possible, then you are training them to run away, . That's what the other guy said was the first rule of self defence. If your teaching them to stand up tp bullies and muggers and phycos, then good for you

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
to be honest, that's really the nub of the issue, I think any self respecting man would attack a gang to protect his sister, that you don't believe someone would do that, suggests that you wouldn't and you want to tar everyone else with the same brush

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lol

This is just Jobo internet tough guy talk.

"Some people are fighters others are wimps....I'm a tough guy and a fighter, blah, blah, blah."
im not particularly tough,I just stand up for myself and my family.

as a child, about 10 a gang of youths got me and made me kneel down, they said if I would kiss there feet they would let me go, I wouldn't so they kicked me in the face, I still wouldn't so they kicked me and kicked me and kicked me till I past out. Even at that age is was death before dishonour

Latest Discussions