Self Defense & Martial Arts Confusions and Misconceptions

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Anything not played with a ball cant be a sport...Soccer isn't a sport because you cant use your hands, Tap dancing is not a sport ...i rest my case. some people think swimming is a sport, swimming is a way to keep from drowning, not a sport. these are my rules and i make them up"
George Carlin

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Anything not played with a ball cant be a sport...Soccer isn't a sport because you cant use your hands, Tap dancing is not a sport ...i rest my case. some people think swimming is a sport, swimming is a way to keep from drowning, not a sport. these are my rules and i make them up"
George Carlin

pool is not a sport.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but there are many lessons from chess or table tennis that translate in to real life as well
Why is that a "but". I think that's an "and". There are, in fact, some pretty good lessons that can be taken from chess, other board games, sports, cards, pretty much anything can have a lesson for other areas of life if we bother to look for it. Martial Arts seems to have a pretty large number of them, some with pretty direct application (lessons about teaching, negotiating, developing discipline, overcoming obstacles, working with others, etc.).

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think some martial arts teach some dubious lessons, as well. Let's not get carried away.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why is that a "but". I think that's an "and". There are, in fact, some pretty good lessons that can be taken from chess, other board games, sports, cards, pretty much anything can have a lesson for other areas of life if we bother to look for it. Martial Arts seems to have a pretty large number of them, some with pretty direct application (lessons about teaching, negotiating, developing discipline, overcoming obstacles, working with others, etc.).
because people are holding UP MAas particularly valuable in life skills, and its no better or worse than many other pass times, games or sports

if I had got my kid involved in soccer and chess, id be pretty happy with that and wouldn't feel they were missing out on something highly important if they weren't doing ma

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its no better or worse than many other pass times, games or sports

Considerably better than many pastimes and sports though. Hare coursing is considered as sport as is cock fighting. Some people's pastimes are thieving, drug taking and twocing ( 'taking without owners consent...meaning nicking a car) all quite prevalent pastimes among young people in a lot of areas as is gang membership.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Considerably better than many pastimes and sports though. Hare coursing is considered as sport as is cock fighting. Some people's pastimes are thieving, drug taking and twocing ( 'taking without owners consent...meaning nicking a car) all quite prevalent pastimes among young people in a lot of areas as is gang membership.
that's a bit of a daft argument, im hardly going to sign a 7 yo up to a twocing club, I was thinking about past times that were at least vaguely legal and didn't involve the ownership of dogs or chickens.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's a bit of a daft argument, im hardly going to sign a 7 yo up to a twocing club, I was thinking about past times that were at least vaguely legal and didn't involve the ownership of dogs or chickens.

You obviously don't live in the country where all those pastimes are still very prevalent ( more so than martial arts which are 'city' pursuits) and actually involve young children.
Lincolnshire hare coursing police make arrests - BBC News

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You obviously don't live in the country where all those pastimes are still very prevalent ( more so than martial arts which are 'city' pursuits) and actually involve young children.
Lincolnshire hare coursing police make arrests - BBC News
what point are you trying to make, that MA is better for you than cock fighting, yes it is, but so is,stamp collecting, darts and monopoly'

just posting up unpleasant and mostly illegal past times makes no sense in the context of this discusion

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what point are you trying to make, that MA is better for you than cock fighting, yes it is, but so is,stamp collecting, darts and monopoly'

just posting up unpleasant and mostly illegal past times makes no sense in the context of this discusion

Past times? No, it's not 'past times' it's modern day. See what I did there? You post stuff up and get all puffed up because you don't understand and dislike being answered back. Your post was nonsense, just arguments against posts made by people here for the sake of arguments. Perhaps you could just try accepting that other people here have opinions every bit as valid as yours rather than bicker with them.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Past times? No, it's not 'past times' it's modern day. See what I did there? You post stuff up and get all puffed up because you don't understand and dislike being answered back. Your post was nonsense, just arguments against posts made by people here for the sake of arguments. Perhaps you could just try accepting that other people here have opinions every bit as valid as yours rather than bicker with them.
??????///))))???????//??//

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because people are holding UP MAas particularly valuable in life skills, and its no better or worse than many other pass times, games or sports

if I had got my kid involved in soccer and chess, id be pretty happy with that and wouldn't feel they were missing out on something highly important if they weren't doing ma
That's why I said "and". There are lessons to be learned in a lot of places. I've taught business lessons based on hiking. I've not heard anyone claim that people who don't train MA miss important life lessons that cannot be gained elsewhere.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's why I said "and". There are lessons to be learned in a lot of places. I've taught business lessons based on hiking. I've not heard anyone claim that people who don't train MA miss important life lessons that cannot be gained elsewhere.
no they are doing it by omission, biging up the life lessons from ma, whilst failing to mention the same benefits can be gained from many other things.

its like saying cows are good for keeping the grass down whilst failing to mention horses and lawnmowers'

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no they are doing it by omission, biging up the life lessons from ma, whilst failing to mention the same benefits can be gained from many other things.

its like saying cows are good for keeping the grass down whilst failing to mention horses and lawnmowers'
Except that we are on a MA board. That's pretty much what we talk about here. If I go to a hiking meetup, people talk more about hiking and nature there, and some of the life lessons they pick up that way. I don't sit there and think, "What? You think we can't learn that from chess or martial arts??"

Pay attention to the context, before you ascribe motivations to others.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except that we are on a MA board. That's pretty much what we talk about here. If I go to a hiking meetup, people talk more about hiking and nature there, and some of the life lessons they pick up that way. I don't sit there and think, "What? You think we can't learn that from chess or martial arts??"

Pay attention to the context, before you ascribe motivations to others.
yes and people who are completely self absorbed with their ma training are making claims to its benefits, that are more or less the same benefits you can get from a hoist of other things. That gives a very biased and polarised view that makes ma,seem more beneficial that it actually is

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its like saying cows are good for keeping the grass down

It's not really because cows and horses aren't any good for getting the grass down, they only eat the top of the grass, what you want is sheep, they eat it all the way down. Bit much when the analogies aren't correct either. :D

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not really because cows and horses aren't any good for getting the grass down, they only eat the top of the grass, what you want is sheep, they eat it all the way down. Bit much when the analogies aren't correct either. :D
no what you want is a lawn mower.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Read this article and find out about the differences between competitions fighting, martial arts and self defense:
Martial Arts Misconceptions
Hey, welcome along. And do not let all this lawn mower talk scare you away! oh, wait.. you have gone already.. oh well, our work at LawnMowerTalk is done here.. least for today

Latest Discussions