Self Defense & Martial Arts Confusions and Misconceptions

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Trying a new approach here. The following quote is a component of self-defense.

"He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight."
- Sun Tzu

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is similar to de-escalation tactics where we say or do thing that makes the person feel uncomfortable about attacking.

"If we do not wish to fight, we can prevent the enemy from engaging us even though the lines of our encampment be merely traced out on the ground. All we need do is to throw something odd and unaccountable in his way."
-Sun Tzu

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought it was fitting since someone brought up soldiers as not being relevant. I feel comfortable with this since, one would need to argue with Sun Tzu about the quote lol.

No but we will suggest we are the ones interpreting it correctly.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Better thought. If fighting strategy is also deescalation and business strategy.

Are we learning these soft skills by learning fighting?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better thought. If fighting strategy is also deescalation and business strategy.

To some extent, I think so. I make an effort to make it more than accidental learning, but there's a definite link between soft skills and what we learn about fighting.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Probably.
There are also arguments or strong disagreements that happen in the work place among employees as well as customers where deescalation skills are a business strategy. Especially in customer service.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Self defense is part of the competition know in all martial arts tournament theres UFC is not a comeptititon its a sport and cometition at same time

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we both go after the same girl it is a competition.

Probably not the best analogy. There really are rules in this too, you may not know them but the girl definitely does! :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A sport is codified. a competition is not. If we both go after the same girl it is a competition. But not a sport.
So, how would you define the difference within a MA context? I've always considered "a competition" (an event) as a part of sport - the thing that competitors train for, whereas "competition" (no article attached) can occur within normal training.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To some extent, I think so. I make an effort to make it more than accidental learning, but there's a definite link between soft skills and what we learn about fighting.
only from the point of view that's its far easier to de escalate a fight from a position of strength

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only from the point of view that's its far easier to de escalate a fight from a position of strength
That is one part of it. There's more than that - there are many lessons from MA that translate well to other areas of life.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is one part of it. There's more than that - there are many lessons from MA that translate well to other areas of life.

Exactly, such as how to avoid a circumstance where deescalation is needed in the first place, how to flow and adapt to dynamic situations vs trying to, for lack of a better term, pound a square peg into a round hole. Sometimes I think MAs are essentially an allegory for life itself.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exactly, such as how to avoid a circumstance where deescalation is needed in the first place, how to flow and adapt to dynamic situations vs trying to, for lack of a better term, pound a square peg into a round hole. Sometimes I think MAs are essentially an allegory for life itself.
but there are many lessons from chess or table tennis that translate in to real life as well