Self Defence Techniques

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have experience i have been doing martial arts for about 7-8 years.

The problem being that this statement could mean that you've attended a few martial arts seminars and have been playing in your backyard for 7-8 years, or it could mean that you've been attending fight training at an MMA gym four nights a week for 7-8 years, and have been climbing the professional ladder in the UFC. How people respond to you will vary greatly depending upon what you've been taught and what you understand.
Given your reluctance to expound upon your qualifications, I'm guessing self-taught.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem being that this statement could mean that you've attended a few martial arts seminars and have been playing in your backyard for 7-8 years, or it could mean that you've been attending fight training at an MMA gym four nights a week for 7-8 years, and have been climbing the professional ladder in the UFC. How people respond to you will vary greatly depending upon what you've been taught and what you understand.
Given your reluctance to expound upon your qualifications, I'm guessing self-taught.
It could also mean that he trained from 4-11, and recently wanted to start up again. Most people that I talk to say they've practiced before, and within one or two more questions it comes out they were under 13 at the time.

D

Deleted member 39746

Curiosity sake, what type of punches do you do if that's your go to hand strike. (eg Horizontal, vertical etc)

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Curiosity sake, what type of punches do you do if that's your go to hand strike. (eg Horizontal, vertical etc)

Rat give over will ya ... young man until you actually start training properly then really your getting into things that are beyond you ...sorry to be harsh

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
so 35 years and godan is nothing ....
Based upon your desire to give an answer to everything, and the frequency of those answers being erroneous, then apparently so. It must be pointed out that rank is only relevant within the organization that granted said rank, and is no guarantee of either wisdom or knowledge.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Based upon your desire to give an answer to everything, and the frequency of those answers being erroneous, then apparently so. It must be pointed out that rank is only relevant within the organization that granted said rank, and is no guarantee of either wisdom or knowledge.

And neither is yours for that matter

I would suggest there is more to things than may be apparent to yourself

And are you claiming that you have superior wisdom?

I will be happy to debate all you want in private if you so desire where I may not be as polite as I am here

And as for the organisastions I hold rankings in then I think they will stand up but you are entitled to your opinions as they are like parts of the body every one has one

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And neither is yours for that matter

I would suggest there is more to things than may be apparent to yourself

And are you claiming that you have superior wisdom?

I will be happy to debate all you want in private if you so desire where I may not be as polite as I am here

And as for the organisastions I hold rankings in then I think they will stand up but you are entitled to your opinions as they are like parts of the body every one has one

Several points for you to consider, but then I am putting you back on ignore ...

I've never claimed to have any wisdom, much less superior wisdom.
You can be as polite or impolite as you wish, I've no further desire to debate anything with you (hence why you are going back on my ignore list).
I've no idea what you mean by "stand up". It doesn't change the fact that rank is only meaningful within the organization that granted said rank. Nor does it change the fact that you insist on pushing your (frequently erroneous) opinions on every subject.

Done derailing the OP's thread now.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Several points for you to consider, but then I am putting you back on ignore ...

I've never claimed to have any wisdom, much less superior wisdom.
You can be as polite or impolite as you wish, I've no further desire to debate anything with you (hence why you are going back on my ignore list).
I've no idea what you mean by "stand up". It doesn't change the fact that rank is only meaningful within the organization that granted said rank. Nor does it change the fact that you insist on pushing your (frequently erroneous) opinions on every subject.

Done derailing the OP's thread now.

yeah ok as I said opinions are like a part of the body and you de are that lol

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything tends to be, or else it wont work. Like i said i haven't experienced a perfect example of either.
Actually, just remembered what the main principle of TKD's moves are, generating energy and countering out, its cited as being based on the newtons second law. DM me if you wish to correct/discuss that.

Also, i like how all the people discussing TKD with me might have different styles and also to myself. :p

Also carrying on from what i put, the chair was with the full intention to maim with it, so make sure you actually have the correct intent with what you use. If you dont intend to maim your opponent avoid using certain things and make sure you know the ramifications from it.
With your short experience in TKD, it's really unlikely you'd have gotten to many principles, and not likely you'd recognize them if you did. That's not a dig at you - it requires a certain experience level (actually, background knowledge, which often equates) to recognize principles. I teach techniques to my students. Those techniques are their path to the principles. Once they learn the principles, they don't need the specific techniques. The same is probably true in TKD.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever comes out. At short distance, I'm more likely to use a vertical strike. Same for a jab. But that's not an absolute. If it's rising, I'm more likely to use an open hand than if it's descending, but that's even farther from an absolute.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I've used: throws, shoulder lock.
What folks I've taught or trained with have used: punches, arm takedowns, leg sweeps, shoulder locks, some wrist locks (the latter mostly LEO).

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have experience i have been doing martial arts for about 7-8 years. I am looking to expand and I also want to focus on self defense more then anything also so i am working on study more of it.
What art(s) have you trained in that time and to what level? That will help determine what new techniques might be useful for you.

Techniques by themselves mean very little if they aren't backed up by the right skillset, understanding, and attributes. There's not much point giving you clips of techniques that you don't have the background to make good use of.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Everything tends to be, or else it wont work. Like i said i haven't experienced a perfect example of either.
Actually, just remembered what the main principle of TKD's moves are, generating energy and countering out, its cited as being based on the newtons second law. DM me if you wish to correct/discuss that.

With your short experience in TKD, it's really unlikely you'd have gotten to many principles, and not likely you'd recognize them if you did. That's not a dig at you - it requires a certain experience level (actually, background knowledge, which often equates) to recognize principles. I teach techniques to my students. Those techniques are their path to the principles. Once they learn the principles, they don't need the specific techniques. The same is probably true in TKD.

As Rat says, any art should be based on principles or it isn't likely to work very well. As Gerry says, techniques are tools for teaching principles. You can lecture someone on principles all day, but until they've had a chance to experience those principles in specific application it's all just unusable intellectual theory.

I've seen a wide variety in how people teach regarding the balance of emphasis on principles vs application. I teach via techniques, but I explain the important principles that make the techniques work, I show how different techniques can be expressions of the same principle in a different circumstance and when troubleshooting problems they are having in applying the techniques I show how the small details they were missing are just more expressions of those same principles.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It could also mean that he trained from 4-11, and recently wanted to start up again. Most people that I talk to say they've practiced before, and within one or two more questions it comes out they were under 13 at the time.

Sorry...I am totally jumping into this conversation without much back knowledge (I didn't read the previous responses) but this makes me think of when someone claims to have been studying for 30+ years, but they really only trained hard for the first 15 years or so (4th-5th Dan) and haven't really being doing too much since then. I see it all of the time. What they should really be saying is "I started the martial arts 30 years ago...but haven't actually trained that long."

I feel a rant coming on...I have seen so many martial artists walking around with multiple stripes on their belt who haven't grown as a martial artist for many, many years. If a person really wants to differentiate themselves as a martial artist, continue training hard after earning your initial (insert whatever high Dan ranking here). I'm sure we all have stories of people we know walking around with ranks that may not reflect their true ability or training regimen. Sorry about the random rant. It probably has no connection to what was originally discussed. I'll jump out now.

Sorry, jumping back in. For some popular systems out there, it may surprise their students as to how many of the Grandmasters were very young 10th Dans. Many of the Grandmasters continued their training and "grew into" their rank. I'm not referring to those Grandmasters in my above rant. I mean the ones who haven't broke a sweat in twenty years. Sorry again...probably has no connection to what is being discussed here.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Rat says, any art should be based on principles or it isn't likely to work very well. As Gerry says, techniques are tools for teaching principles. You can lecture someone on principles all day, but until they've had a chance to experience those principles in specific application it's all just unusable intellectual theory.

I've seen a wide variety in how people teach regarding the balance of emphasis on principles vs application.
And a wide range of how learners react to each. I tend to teach technique and lean hard on principles in fixing mistakes. This works well for some folks, and actually confuses others (so that I have to step back and go for the mechanical fixes for a while).

I teach via techniques, but I explain the important principles that make the techniques work, I show how different techniques can be expressions of the same principle in a different circumstance and when troubleshooting problems they are having in applying the techniques I show how the small details they were missing are just more expressions of those same principles.
Having had a chance to learn from Tony on a visit up there, I can vouch for the fact that he does this. He does this impressively well, in fact.

Andr

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello I am wondering what are some videos of different techniques people have found to be useful, I am looking for things that people have used to defend themselves, their students have used or there friends and family have used. I am trying to find a variety of different techniques. Videos of the technique would be helpful so i know what your talking about. And please don't start a long argument in this thread and ruin it.

Hi!
Do you know smth about Krav Maga? In YouTube you can find out a lot of videos about that. For me it's very useful. But of course it's better to work on it with real people. In other case there will no more use, I think.

OP
F

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well i am not self taught I trained in TKD at a dojo, and I trained under an Olympic athlete and the where also the Olympic team coach one year. I didn't clarify cause I didn't care to. I also train almost every day.
I also know that just cause you train under some one that was good doesn't mean that you are going to be good. I understand that my knowledge in martial arts is very limited, which is why I'm here, so I can improve my knowledge and hopefully find something to improve my skill in.

Last edited:
OP
F

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What art(s) have you trained in that time and to what level? That will help determine what new techniques might be useful for you.
I have train tkd for 7-8 years and i have trained bjj for about 2

Latest Discussions