Self-Defence spray

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In the new liarbor utopia :bs: that is Great Britain today; mace, tasers etc are banned. Despite even MPs getting mugged.

What does everyone make of this, with nothing else other than fisticuffs available, how do you rate the efectiveness of this kit?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well if it is legal the it is better than nothing. Still I think I would probably go for a cane and a rather sturdy metal pen as my first line based on the situation in the UK.

Those that are self defense oriented in the UK have it tough. Still I would hope that more people are flocking to unarmed self defense training.
icon6.gif

OP
F

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You'd hope so wouldnt you Brian? I'm not sure it is the case.

The heavier duty version shown here looks a bit better, but even the demonstrator seems to struggle to get it on target to begin with. When the target is moving I think I'd rather be doing something else.

Thanks for the links, will have a look at those.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
agreed that it is total bs. People are victims enough and now government makes them the bad guys for defending themselves unless they use this fancy little kit that doesn't look like it would work unless the attacker stood there and looked stupid for 20 minutes while the victim figures out how to use it.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First the spary cannot be carried in England as to do so it becomes an 'offensive weapon'. That is the weapon IS designed for defense and not something normaly carried, like an umbrella, and thus it's banned.

It maybe ok for the house, but I'd consult their laws first.

As for fistcufts. Do not be suprised when the MPs demand the banning of martial arts in England. It's coming. After all, the punching and kicking is making the arms and legs 'offensive weapons' in their own right.

In Canada they have already banned books on how to kill, so if they can ban that knowledge, then there is no reason they cannot ban the passing of knowlege of the martial arts.

And that will put England on par with Okinawa back when the Japanese banned all swords and martial arts (and Korea for that matter.)

Deaf

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Remember, anything that is carried for the purpose of self defense is an illegal weapon in the UK. And anything that you keep in your house for that purpose is at least questionable as well. You can have a three foot battle ax as long as you're a legitimate collector. And you can smite someone with it if you have to do so to protect your life. But if you carry so much as a Bic pen for the purpose of self defense it's a crime if you tell that to the police when questioned.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Amazing what happens when people do not look at history!! NO WHERE IN THE WORLD IN HISTORY has any kind of weapons ban worked to disarm the criminal!! all that happens is the honest man is deprived his method of defense.

that is historical fact.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Amazing what happens when people do not look at history!! NO WHERE IN THE WORLD IN HISTORY has any kind of weapons ban worked to disarm the criminal!! all that happens is the honest man is deprived his method of defense.

that is historical fact.
A fact LOST on the statist left who have sought to run western civilization of late! I often wonder who's side their really on.....then I remember!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I pointed out in excruciating detail you can't completely disarm people even in prison. But you can reduce the availability and popularity of different classes of weapons. That's why there's little to no machine gun or grenade crime in the US even though they were more popular a lifetime ago.

Oh, and the term "statist" is one of the stupidest things to come out of the mouths of the fundie libertarians. All it means is that people believe the government has some legitimate function other than protecting the property of the very rich and that nations are a good thing.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm just thinking in terms of female colleagues etc. I wonder how easy this kit is to deploy when frightened and/or under attack.

That's the $64.000.000 question..Will they be able to use it when the time come???

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, so you've marked him with dye that looks like he's bleeding from a head wound... other than coating an attacker's eyes shut, how does this help you defend yourself? Does it sting? Hurt? Is it sticky? I mean, how is this stuff actually defensive?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
This crap was around years ago in the States. It never sold for the simple reason that it's worthless. It doesn't incapacitate. It doesn't stop. It doesn't even slow a person down. A paste of warm water and detergent will remove it with a good scrubbing, so the "evidence marker" words are a lie. The upside was that if you returned the used canister to the manufacturer you'd get a free replacement. I supposed one could paint a dorm room cheaply if slowly that way. Cheap plastic thing doesn't even make a good hand packer.

Brian is, alas, incorrect. It isn't "better than nothing". It's worse. While you're fumbling around for it and spray painting your attacker you could be doing something useful. Wasted seconds are lost lives in a violent self defense situation.

Its only reason for existence is to transfer cash from the frightened to the greedy.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember seeing ads for it over 20 years ago...maybe 30. The idea was that knowing he would be indelibly marked would be a deterrent to the criminal--that he would discontinue his assault when he saw that the dyeing was imminent for fear that his friends/fasmily/co-workers would turn him in to the police after the fact. I never heard of an actual use of it;teh closest I know of is the exploding dye packs that banks use sometimes get dye on bank robbers as well as the money.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I pointed out in excruciating detail you can't completely disarm people even in prison. But you can reduce the availability and popularity of different classes of weapons. That's why there's little to no machine gun or grenade crime in the US even though they were more popular a lifetime ago.

Oh, and the term "statist" is one of the stupidest things to come out of the mouths of the fundie libertarians. All it means is that people believe the government has some legitimate function other than protecting the property of the very rich and that nations are a good thing.
No, what is STUPID is the idea that you can trade enough liberty to to the state to feel perfectly safe and secure.

Individuals in a free society must take on a good measure of their OWN responsibility for their OWN safety, unless they'd prefer the state just put a fence around them and feed them hay on a daily basis. That's why self-defense isn't just an option, it's a DUTY as a FREE PEOPLE!

As for the silly notion that making something illegal makes it unavailable and eliminates crime, how's that working for cocaine, methamphetamines, heroin, etc, etc, etc,. ;)

Latest Discussions