Seiza

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone give any pointers on how to make sitting in seiza comfortable? I hope that I am spelling it correctly.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's not at first, especially if you're an adult who didn't grow up sitting that way. It gets better as your ankles and other joints loosen up for it.

My suggestion is to start with very short time frames in carpet, repeated a couple times a day.

Until this is comfortable, when in class on a hard floor, try sitting with the balls of your feet on the floor instead of the tops of the feet. It's not a technically seiza, but it's close enough to get through class and it's a lot easier for many people.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do have thoughts on this. Before I answer, tell me about when, how often and for how long you are being asked to do it? What is happening while you are sitting? I read in another of your threads that you are a new Goju Ryu student.

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Twice....once in the beginning for about 45 sec to 1 minute. I can feel how tight my shin and foot muscles are. My knees and ankles feel compressed. And my quads are tight as well. Also, I am currently unable to sit all the way back on my feet. I hunch over.

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh and then again as we close out class for about 30 seconds. Sorry for the incomplete post...smh

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Before Goggle your word, I thought you were talking about this.

cross-legs.jpg

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
During Iaido classes, where seiza position is often used, a couple of guys taped a pad to the top of their ankles. This raised and took some of the pressure off not only the ankle, but also off the instep. It seemed very effective.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, not particularly long in the grand scheme. For me, it's painful and it's never gotten any better physically. I have students who it doesn't bother from the beginning, so there is some physiology to it. I spend a bunch of time trying to figure out how to micro-adjust and fidget in ways that would make it less painful, until one day I decided that the pain was superficial and meditative. Now, I breath, pick something to focus on, like a candle or someone leading something, as the case may be and try to stay relaxed and not allow the discomfort to affect me.

Now, I feel like it is a profound martial arts lesson (I don't know if it was intended that way or not), but can I center myself in a way so as not to be affected by some (intense) superficial pain? If not, what's going to happen when I get hit?

That's probably not the type of advice that you wanted, but it's where my own struggle with seiza has led me and I feel like it's a strength rather than a weakness at this point. Sitting a bit every day on your own would help too, but I'm not sure if it will even not be painful to you, it hasn't happened that way for me, but the pain is useful. To my knowledge, no one has ever been injured by sitting. It's not real. There is no spoon. :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This may or may not help. I sat in seiza for the first time ever. I could feel stretching in my ankles. It wasn't bad the first time I could have probably sat like that for 2 minutes. Not sure what would happen afterwards, but lol.

My guess all of the years of ankle rotations are probably the reason. I used to do these things everyday and I always do them as part of my warm up. Be gentle when you do it, it's not a stretching exercise, it's a joint / tendon re-alignment exercise. Sometimes tendons get out of place and when that happens it affects flexibility. Tendons aren't like muscle so you aren't going to get a lot of stretch from a tendon. As you do the ankle rotation you my hear and feel your tendon pop back into it's correct position.

I've sat in seiza about 6 times and it progressively became more difficult to do. I can only assume my 200lb body is not doing me any favors. For me it seems like it's going require some time to gradually get it to where there is little to no tension. Another thing that I was able to do, was to redistribute my weight so that my ankles are taking so much weight.

I also do these type of exercises. Remember all of this is gentle movement and not big stretch movements. Joints are made of tendons and ligaments and those things don't stretch very much so you only have to move them very little and very gentle in order to make this work.

Just from what I learned when I used to have knee problems. A tendon that is out of place (mine was kind of wrapped around other parts) will take out the flexibility and strength and no matter how many times you you train the sitting position, you won't get any relief until that tendon is moved back into it's correct place. For my knees it took a doctor to manually move the tendon back into place.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have pointed out, the tightness will loosen over time. Being in a grappling-heavy art, I do all of my seiza on mats. I'm not sure my knees would let me sit even briefly in seiza on wood floors.

In any case, that tension will release over time. Find some approximations that you can comfortably sit in for a few minutes at a time while watching TV and such. Use pillows or something, so you're just at the edge of tension, but able to relax comfortably.

Also check with your instructor about what alternative positions are acceptable. At the Karate dojo where I teach, some of the older yudansha sit cross-legged to bow in.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also check with your instructor about what alternative positions are acceptable.
This is also a good one. Especially if there is no way you can physically do it without tearing up the body.

Orion Nebula

Green Belt
Reaction score
We rarely sit in seiza at my dojo. Our head instructor's knee is wonky, so he only occasionally sits in seiza (I think I've seen him do it three times in 7 months). As such, he doesn't think it's appropriate to ask his students to sit in seiza if he does not. He also doesn't really believe that Americans should sit in seiza on a regular basis because we haven't grown up doing it and thus it's not good for our legs and circulation. No idea if there's truth to that, but I'm not going to argue :)

As a teen, seiza felt perfectly natural. I could sit for a a good while in seiza, and my longest was probably 10 minutes while listening to a guest instructor speak. I'm sure I could have sat even longer. Now that I'm 34 and hadn't done it for 16ish years, seiza isn't painful for me, but it is awkward and I feel stiff while doing it. Since my knee I'm injury, I also haven't been willing to go all the way down, so I'm a little hunched, too. Thankfully, I very rarely do it, though. I last did it at a regional seminar, and my tendonitis really flared up by the end of the day. So I had to use my hands to get off the floor. Several students whispered in my ear, "you're not supposed to use your hands." Bless their hearts and their young knees.

No idea if you'll ever feel like teenaged me (probably not), but take heart that lots of others feel like you.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We rarely sit in seiza at my dojo. Our head instructor's knee is wonky, so he only occasionally sits in seiza (I think I've seen him do it three times in 7 months). As such, he doesn't think it's appropriate to ask his students to sit in seiza if he does not. He also doesn't really believe that Americans should sit in seiza on a regular basis because we haven't grown up doing it and thus it's not good for our legs and circulation. No idea if there's truth to that, but I'm not going to argue :)

As a teen, seiza felt perfectly natural. I could sit for a a good while in seiza, and my longest was probably 10 minutes while listening to a guest instructor speak. I'm sure I could have sat even longer. Now that I'm 34 and hadn't done it for 16ish years, seiza isn't painful for me, but it is awkward and I feel stiff while doing it. Since my knee I'm injury, I also haven't been willing to go all the way down, so I'm a little hunched, too. Thankfully, I very rarely do it, though. I last did it at a regional seminar, and my tendonitis really flared up by the end of the day. So I had to use my hands to get off the floor. Several students whispered in my ear, "you're not supposed to use your hands." Bless their hearts and their young knees.

No idea if you'll ever feel like teenaged me (probably not), but take heart that lots of others feel like you.
I actually agree that folks who didn't spend time in seiza early in life probably aren't doing themselves favors by spending extended periods in that position. I started with it in my teens, too, and it's an easy position for me (much easier than cross-legged, for instance), but not something I can stay in for an hour.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Twice....once in the beginning for about 45 sec to 1 minute. I can feel how tight my shin and foot muscles are. My knees and ankles feel compressed. And my quads are tight as well. Also, I am currently unable to sit all the way back on my feet. I hunch over.

Do standing quad stretches. Make sure you're grabbing your foot up near the toes, not around the ankle, so you're improving ankle mobility as well as stretching your quads.

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yo......that is awesome!!! This site is so dope!!! Thank you greatly for this. I'm super thankful.