Seiunchin, Naihanchi, Wansu, Chinto...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Might as well get them all out there at once. I don't have a Kusanku yet, because I'm still working on the kata, and I have not yet started on Sunsu. But here's the rest. I'm disgusted the more I look at them; I can't believe the things I was doing. Low kicks, stances wrong, looking down instead of at the fight line, etc. However, please feel free to add your comments and constructive criticism.

Seiunchin

[video=youtube_share;86Oab-bMRw0]http://youtu.be/86Oab-bMRw0[/video]

Naihanchi

[video=youtube_share;f2cpEs_Zw7M]http://youtu.be/f2cpEs_Zw7M[/video]

Wansu

[video=youtube_share;IAE-DZ0w84c]http://youtu.be/IAE-DZ0w84c[/video]

Chinto

[video=youtube_share;oFXYfLJJs4U]http://youtu.be/oFXYfLJJs4U[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I only know Seuinchin, and for comparison, here is a vid of an Isshin-ryu friend performing it. Our Goju version is almost the same, with a slight difference in embu.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I only know Seuinchin, and for comparison, here is a vid of an Isshin-ryu friend performing it. Our Goju version is almost the same, with a slight difference in embu.

Thank you, that looks very much like ours. We do not take such a deep stance, but I know others do. Looks great!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off to work, will comment later tonight.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bill, you're a big and powerful guy, but I don't get the sense that you're maximizing this asset in your performance of Seiunchin. Your arm movements appear disengaged from your body at times. If I were your sensei, I'd ask that you practice the kata very slowly and build for a sticky, sledgehammer effect, where the swings or movements are not necessarily fast but they have a visible thud to them with the body behind every shot. Seiunchin is a perfect showcase for that - it doesn't have to be performed quickly.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for putting yourself out there, that takes alot of courage.

My only comment is on Seiuchin kata. While you are in the straddle stance, you withdraw your front foot slightly before doing the stepthrough with the rear foot. I have always been taught that the stance is set and the rear foot glides through into the next stance without drawing the front foot back. Again, styles/dojos vary and I wasn't sure if this is the way it was shown or not.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do not practice Seiunchin, but I do practice Chinto, Wansu, and Naihanchi (chodan, Edan, and Samdan). I always find it interesting to see how other styles practice their forms (especially when I practice a comparable one). As the Isshinryu versions are different enough from mine, I cannot comment on technical differences, but thanks for sharing Bill!

For a comparison, here is a video of me from a couple of years ago (I'd like to think I perform them better now.. . )

Naihanchi: (similar to the way you practice yours)

Wansu: (not quite so similar)

Chinto: (again not quite as similar)

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill, you're a big and powerful guy, but I don't get the sense that you're maximizing this asset in your performance of Seiunchin. Your arm movements appear disengaged from your body at times. If I were your sensei, I'd ask that you practice the kata very slowly and build for a sticky, sledgehammer effect, where the swings or movements are not necessarily fast but they have a visible thud to them with the body behind every shot. Seiunchin is a perfect showcase for that - it doesn't have to be performed quickly.

Thank you, that's interesting that you say that. I say interesting because the last two tournaments I attended (did not compete), the winner of empty-handed kata for my division was a guy who is Shorin-Ryu and built like me; older, heavier, bald, etc. He won both times by doing Seuinchin the way you described, which I found amazing. Very slowly like it was Sanchin, deep breathing, every muscle tensed. By the time he finished, it was covered in sweat. But for whatever reason, the judges loved it.

We don't do it like that, but I do take your meaning about putting my strength into the kata. My sensei has told me that in his opinion, my body type is best for Seiunchin if I am going to do kata in tournaments (my dojo doesn't *do* tournaments, but I do).

Thanks very much!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you, that's interesting that you say that. I say interesting because the last two tournaments I attended (did not compete), the winner of empty-handed kata for my division was a guy who is Shorin-Ryu and built like me; older, heavier, bald, etc. He won both times by doing Seuinchin the way you described, which I found amazing. Very slowly like it was Sanchin, deep breathing, every muscle tensed. By the time he finished, it was covered in sweat. But for whatever reason, the judges loved it.

We don't do it like that, but I do take your meaning about putting my strength into the kata. My sensei has told me that in his opinion, my body type is best for Seiunchin if I am going to do kata in tournaments (my dojo doesn't *do* tournaments, but I do).

Thanks very much!

In some Isshin-Ryu lineages the first set of three straddle stances is done with the Sanchin breathing and tension in it, the second half of the form is not. Same with Seisan kata, after the turn the next three steps with the downblock and then palm turnover move are done with dynamic tension.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My only comment is on Seiuchin kata. While you are in the straddle stance, you withdraw your front foot slightly before doing the stepthrough with the rear foot. I have always been taught that the stance is set and the rear foot glides through into the next stance without drawing the front foot back. Again, styles/dojos vary and I wasn't sure if this is the way it was shown or not.

I meant to mention that, thanks. Yes, we do it as I am doing it, I'm pretty sure I'm doing it 'correctly' for our dojo. When we start training a student in Seuinchin kata, they pivot of the forward foot, basically just turning on that foot 180 degrees to face the other way. Later, our instructors show us that this eats up distance but it also pivots us into our imaginary next opponent; like 'here I am, please punch me now'. So, we 'halve the distance' intentionally by moving both feet. I am not sure if there is any distinction made between which foot moves first, but I can ask in the dojo. Often, on questions like that, our main sensei will say "Just get it there," meaning it's not important to the kata as long as the move is completed smoothly and balance and speed are kept. He's a very careful person, sensitive to the lineage we are taught by Masters Mitchum and Harrill, but in some little aspects, he doesn't seem to have a preference, or in some cases he has said "I asked Sensei (Mitchum or the late Master Harrill) and he told me, etc, etc." I think that foot movement is one of those; he doesn't much care how we get there as long as we get there.

That same movement also comes into play during Wansu, when turning to face the first opponent with a chop block followed by a (blocked) kick (the knee-fake kick). In fact, I bobbled it in the Wansu video above; the turn is supposed to keep you both on the embusen and move you back slightly so that you do not turn directly into the attacker's attack. Same foot move; but again, sensei says he doesn't care how we do it, just that we do it and don't wheel about on one foot (getting off the fight line) or step in while turning and get punched in the face while preparing the chop block.

So you could say I'm working on it; but yes, we do it like that - or at least I do and I don't think Sensei cares one way or the other. I may ask him though, thanks.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bill, regarding your Naihanchi, I see you turning your waist and the hips frequently as one unit, one platform, without any preloading or expression of jin in your hips. Do you work on koshi in your dojo?

For example, the way I run Naihanchi is more like this. There's some clear hip action in the form which as I was taught is necessary to get the most of out the short fist actions within Naihanchi.

[yt]Dk91kI_76jU[/yt]

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill, regarding your Naihanchi, I see you turning your waist and the hips frequently as one unit, one platform, without any preloading or expression of jin in your hips. Do you work on koshi in your dojo?

We do, and I could demonstrate it if I could edit and upload the video of the basic exercises I also took yesterday (editor keeps crashing, #&@#!). We practice koshi in everything; even when executing a straight lunge punch (seiken oi tsuki). You could maybe see it in my Chinto when I performed downblock, guard, crane stance, kick. The simultaneous downblock/guard/crane stand really shoots the hips to put power into that downblock; but I may not be executing it well enough to be seen; or I may simply be too fat for the movement to be noticeable. We look for the obi ends to fly around, indicating strong fast hip movement. Of course I realize that koshi is more than just hip movement; but to the untrained eye it appears to be a rapid powerful hip movement.

You should see my Ouchi, Ouchi! I get it moving then, no lie. My favorite exercise.

For example, the way I run Naihanchi is more like this. There's some clear hip action in the form which as I was taught is necessary to get the most of out the short fist actions within Naihanchi.

Thanks! Yes, I can quite clearly see the movement. I am probably supposed to be doing that in Naihanchi as well. Will ask sensei.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, it's often easier to practice things like koshi within your basics, at least at first. I'm looking forward to seeing the film!

Below is some footage of Bajiquan which is outside the usually thought lineage of information from Chinese kung fu to karate. Regardless, I think Baji has some wonderful things of relevance for karate-ka and I still take in the odd seminar or lesson as the opportunity presents itself. The master on this video has great hip technique.

[yt]n2tZ-FQmvLg[/yt]

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Impressive hip/waist generation of force, very much inline with the mechanics of MDK TKD. However, in the beginning of the video, it appears that his arms come upward rather than straight out when he is punching, which is different than how I was taught to strike. Great video and impressive skill, none-the-less!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, it's often easier to practice things like koshi within your basics, at least at first. I'm looking forward to seeing the film!

Here is my attempt at Ouchi Ouchi. Rush job on the editing, sorry. But I think you can see the use of koshi. Interested in your comments!

[video=youtube_share;yKPUJqcTGGc]http://youtu.be/yKPUJqcTGGc[/video]

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
However, in the beginning of the video, it appears that his arms come upward rather than straight out when he is punching, which is different than how I was taught to strike.

I've asked about that actually. It has to do with the assumptions that the fighter is bisecting the opponent's centerline at 45 degrees when he enters with his attack. They feel the arm coming upwards not only creates a superior hand/body relational posture, but it also is a natural defense when close-in.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've asked about that actually. It has to do with the assumptions that the fighter is bisecting the opponent's centerline at 45 degrees when he enters with his attack. They feel the arm coming upwards not only creates a superior hand/body relational posture, but it also is a natural defense when close-in.

Can't argue with that reasoning.. . But I'm curious as to the effect a non linear force from shoulder to fist has on the wrist, I would think it would be easier to injure yourself and harder to achieve full potential of penetration. I'm going to play around with that next week (after competition this weekend).. .

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can't argue with that reasoning.. . But I'm curious as to the effect a non linear force from shoulder to fist has on the wrist, I would think it would be easier to injure yourself and harder to achieve full potential of penetration. I'm going to play around with that next week (after competition this weekend).. .

That's certainly the application implied and shown...but is it the real one? :)

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just FYI, I did get my Ouchi Ouchi video uploaded but you may have missed it; it's on page 1 of the thread. I'm interested in your observations on it.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just FYI, I did get my Ouchi Ouchi video uploaded but you may have missed it; it's on page 1 of the thread. I'm interested in your observations on it.

I definitely see some waggling of the hips there. Well done. The next step of development I see for you is to consider how to develop vertical settling at the same time using your head and backbone down to your hips and legs at the same time. See what your sensei thinks about that.

One drill I often recommend to my students for development of this is to stand up and sit down repeatedly and think about coiling and uncoiling at the same time and then repeat the same feeling in the opposite direction.

Latest Discussions