Seeking A Sensei

K

Kelligren

Hi. My name is Charles, I'm 46, and I live in rural Indiana on the outskirts of the Indianapolis metro area.
I have always been fascinated by the martial arts -- not just for the idea of fighting or even self-defense, but for the philosophy and spiritual content. When I was a kid, I got a book on judo and studied it, but at the time there were no martial arts schools of any kind within my area and my family could not have afforded to send me if there had been. As I got older, karate and tae kwon do schools sprang up even in smaller towns, but again, I couldn't afford them and it seemed to me that they were geared more toward the pop-culture idea of martial arts -- kids bragging about the 17 ways they could kick somebody's behind, rather than absorbing the spirit of the art. Perhaps this was a false impression on my part, but it was my perception.
Now that I am more or less mature and in a better economic position, I'd like to indulge my interest. Not just for defense or exercise, but as a way of helping me find my physical, mental and spiritual focus. That is something I feel I truly, deeply need.
Therefore, I wish to find a sensei who will nurture me in all those areas, not just superficial teachings. I am willing to be guided toward whatever particular art or style suits me, as long it helps me find and nurture my chi.
Is there a sensei of this sort anywhere in the Indianapolis area?

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to MT! Enjoy your stay and good luck with your hunt for an instructor that will fit your needs.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Kelligren to the board. I too hope you find the right fit for a martial art instructor. I started TKD at age 47 but now at 55, find it very hard on my knees. I will continue, but not jumping. Enjoy posting! TW

Latest Discussions