Security Guard

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Probably a much better fit there...

One thought just occurred to me; will working for a security company cause you problems since you went out on a medical?

Truer words were never spoken err typed..I walked in and once they saw my retired ID and all my training certificates I was in..I already met a couple of local boys working there part time, the money stinks but its not hard work..This company LOVES active and retired coppers..No problems with the retirement board..The rules states you can no longer be a sworn officer or any position that pays into the retirement system..

Last edited:
OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I have come full circle..I started out as a security guard way back in 1974 and I am now one again.. I work at the airport, many of the old time coppers stationed there remember me and I am not treated poorly. I carry no weapon except my combat light, and you can do a lot of thing with that little light if need be..

The WORST thing about working there is having to deal with TSA.( Totally Stupid Assjacks) I do more about that later..

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Drac,

That sounds good. I have always thought working in an airport might be fun and or interesting. Hopefully you enjoy it!

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It aint a bad gig..The pay sucks, but with jobs being scarce its still something. The eye candy is OUTSTANDING!!!!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
RE: TSA's high class employees...

You mean like the genius who, when I tried to badge my way UP TO, not past the screening point with my wife when she had a 10 month old in a stroller and her carry-on bag, couldn't figure out what the badge was?

Yeah, I know, I was cheating a little... but I wasn't asking to pass the secure perimeter, just help with the stuff until she got through the magnetometers.

Disco

Green Belt
Reaction score
Reading through the posts, found it interesting about the OHP comments on how they don't cut a break to anyone (LE wise). I was puller over many moons ago on the way back to NY. This was way before the introduction of being able to carry interstate if a LEO. He only asked if I was carrying and I told him it was in the glove box. He stated that I was not supposed to be carrying or transport, but he didn't push the issue. We sat on the side of the road for about 10 minutes, just shooting the bull about the job and I told him what I encountered just the other day in Dayton. I was standing in line at MacDonalds and felt eyes, you know the feeling. A guy taps me on the shoulder and I glance around at him and he says......"I know you man....your a cop in NYC. You busted me and my cousin about 3 years ago on a B&E. We exchanged some small talk, got my order and quickly vacated the area. From that encounter, I learned a very valuable lesson. One never knows when or where you may run into the past. It's a good thing they passed the carry clause for LE nationwide. To all you retired or soon to be, carry all the time and everywhere.......you never know what's lurking around the next bend in the road. Even if your not retired but where a cop for some years and decided to do something else, get a carry permit, for you'll fall into the same category. Your past doesn't care if your no longer a cop, it just knows that you where and they don't like you. In this instance the old saying comes to circle, "Once a cop, always a cop".......Take care brothers and sisters...............

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not all the "Staties" are bad..I trained with a few at OPOTA and they were regular joes. We even corrupted one to the point that he was making jokes by the end of the week instead of just sitting there saying nothing..Yeah the bad guys are out there, and you never know when you might bump into one of them..Even retired as I am I still remain alert when exiting my vehicle or a building..

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now not all the TSA folks are bad, just about 97%..I've had words with a few of them when they tried to " talk tough". It usually ends when I ask if they ever worked as a LEO, when they say no my response is I have and you have no clue what your talking about.

They constantly test the contract security folks, to see if we are following procedure. I wonder who tests them??

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see my time as a rent-a-cop coming to and end as I have redoubled my efforts to find another job. The job is made diffcult by those jackwagon TSA officers. The rules and restrictions made by them are beyond belief. They are there to sreen passengers and luggage, but many of them believe that are FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS.

I had one tell me just how stressful if job is. Yes, pulling an 85 yr old lady out of her wheelchair so you can wand her to insure that she doesnt have an explosive device stuffed up her butt I'm sure is real stressful was my response.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Security work isn't bad in and of itself -- especially if you can get into either the training or management side of things. Particular job sites, though... they can suck! Have you looked into being a PI?

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Security work isn't bad in and of itself -- especially if you can get into either the training or management side of things. Particular job sites, though... they can suck! Have you looked into being a PI?

No, security work isnt bad. Its working at the airport and dealing with TSA that's the butt ache.. I met one of the Homeland Security reps who had a martial arts backround and we had a good conversation for about an hour. If I had seen him again I would ask about some of these restrictions placed on us.

The Contract Security officers are always called FIRST by the OPS (airport operations center) and we then decide (if we cannot resolve the issue) for OPS to contact the PD or FD. The problem is getting back to the boarding gates from ticketing or baggage claim. We have to go and use the underground tunnels to access the gate area instead of walking up the exit lanes which would cut of 2-4 minutes off response time.

They allow the local boys to do it in uniform. Why not us? I've been screened and fingerprinted and checked by God knows how many Federal agencies, plus registered with the State of Ohio as a security officer. So what's the problem? Now I am told its one of TSA's rules, not Homeland Security.

Someone else suggested PI work..I will look into it...

Last edited:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do part time security work at one of our local hospitals. It's a good gig, and the pay is pretty darned high. Of course all the guys working there are current or former police officers, and the boss is a former detective sergeant.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have never worked security but I have met the good and the bad; never met a mall ninja (yet anyway; Gecko45 es loco).

It is with anything else cops, security, military and more... You can't screen everyone and you never know how someone is going to be after they get into a position until they do.

I just try to treat people with respect and I think that helps some of the security people who automatically go defensive when the "real cops" show up. I figure if there is security on scene they are going (or should) know their areas better than me and I usually have no idea of their capabilities.

Working together makes work easier although some shouldn't be in the field; same goes for some of the LEO's out there as well but they usually weed themselves out since there are tighter policies for most LEO's and agencies cannot afford to have a wild card running around.

My .02 only

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is with anything else cops, security, military and more... You can't screen everyone and you never know how someone is going to be after they get into a position until they do.

Very true..

I just try to treat people with respect and I think that helps some of the security people who automatically go defensive when the "real cops" show up.

..Most of the security that REALLY go on the defensive are the ones who washed out of the selection process for LEO's, now they have a real attitude about those that made it

I figure if there is security on scene they are going (or should) know their areas better than me and I usually have no idea of their capabilities..

Therein lays the problem. Too many companies settle for a warm body in a uniform. Training is sparse if there is any at all..

Working together makes work easier although some shouldn't be in the field; same goes for some of the LEO's out there as well but they usually weed themselves out since there are tighter policies for most LEO's and agencies cannot afford to have a wild card running around.

My .02 only

Gospel truth there.

Latest Discussions