Seagal, pre-Aikido

OP
B

bah

He has some karate background with Fumio Demura in Southern California. His aikido began under Harry Ishisaka in Southern California. Then he went to Japan and ran the Tenshin Dojo in Osaka. There, he trained with many masters including: Tohei, Abe and Isoyama.

Isoyama had the greatest influence on his aikido. I asked him this question on his own website through one of the moderators who trains under him and he said that Isoyama had a huge influence on him.

Here is what was said:

From my conversations with Jim Berkley, he told me that Isoyama Sensei use to go to Tenshin Dojo Osaka and conduct kyu test and dan testing for the members of the dojo. He also told me that Seagal Sensei was greatly influenced by Isoyama Sensei. A few years ago I had the opportunity to see Isoyama Sensei do a demo and he reminded me of Seagal Sensei greatly. From the way he perform Iriminage, to his posture, to the way he held his head.
If anyone has access to any tapes of Isoyama you'll see what I mean. Seagal Sensei did a demo a few years ago in Japan and before his demo Isoyama Sensei demonstrated and you could see the influence clearly. I have heard that Isoyama Sensei's trained in Iwawa thats probably why you can see some Iwama style in Seagal Sensei.

OP

2maz

Originally posted by bah

Here you guys go. This is a great page for Seagal Stuff. Find the Path Beyond Thought video about the middle of the way down and look at the links that say Introduction, Steven Seagal's Aikido Philosophy, etc.

They really show his stuff.

http://www.craig-robertson.co.uk/wb...tyleid=2&sid=664aa9d0ebf1e04722559dedbf3df524

Not much to see really. Very poor quality of the movies (those who didn't have broken links that is...). Anyone know of good quality movies?

OP
B

bah

2maz, have you seen the Path Beyond Thought? That video tells you everything you need to know about Seagal's aikido. Very direct, very heavy emphasis on irimi and atemi and cutting deflections. Isoyama's old Iwama-style aikido is where that comes from.

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by bah

2maz, have you seen the Path Beyond Thought? That video tells you everything you need to know about Seagal's aikido. Very direct, very heavy emphasis on irimi and atemi and cutting deflections. Isoyama's old Iwama-style aikido is where that comes from.

Where can I find that?

OP

2maz

Originally posted by bah

I just might buy the film then. Sounds like it's worth the money...

Latest Discussions