Scottish Mace Throwing -- feedback please!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I hate about autofocus...the second picture with the airborne thingy, the guy is fuzzy and the back ground sharp...And it had the best composition.

Ok, nitpicking done.

Interesting event.

Nice series of shots.

(does your camera have a sport setting?)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I hate about autofocus...the second picture with the airborne thingy, the guy is fuzzy and the back ground sharp...And it had the best composition.

Ok, nitpicking done.

Interesting event.

Nice series of shots.

(does your camera have a sport setting?)

Yes, that was the sport setting. This is my first attempt at action shots so I have much to learn :)

I was thinking the exact same thing about autofocus. The middle two pictures when the mace is in the air were both extremely fast, 1/1250 sec...and he is blurry! I need to get better (read: FASTER) at manipulating the auto focus so it stays focused on a particular point.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to tell the story to me... Nice pics, but without knowing more, it's just a Scottish drum major.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to tell the story to me... Nice pics, but without knowing more, it's just a Scottish drum major.

Not sure if there is much more to tell, other than this was a competition at the NH Highland Games. I had never attended such an event before.

When large metal objects come hurtling through the air towards my head, my instinct is to duck :D I admire their bravery :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this an American Scottish thing as I've been to Highland Games in Scotland ( used to live there) and I've not seen it. I've seen something similiar on the Orange Band marches but they are political so haven't watched them for fun only work.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am really liking the first photograph. That captures the character wonderfully. He is eyeballing you Carol!! A great shot!

I would have suggestions for the action shots if that is ok? Either you trigger *before* he has released the mace -or- another suggestion might be to zoom in close on the subject where the mace has been *already* released and but it is not in the frame - only the drum major concentrating and waiting for gravity to do its thing :) I think that would be a cool shot that would win you the $1000 prize :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this an American Scottish thing as I've been to Highland Games in Scotland ( used to live there) and I've not seen it. I've seen something similiar on the Orange Band marches but they are political so haven't watched them for fun only work.

I actually don't know. There was a crowd gathered in the bleachers of a small stadium, the RCMP band is playing at the end of the field, and four lads would march up and back while the band was playing. Their throws would start off as very simple, but as the song progressed the would throw their mace higher and higher. My impression was that they might have been judged on some level, perhaps by some people sitting under the tent at the end of the field, but I am not sure.

It was friendly competition, with a spirited group of spectators. The crowd would cheer every catch no matter how big or small. If the major missed and the mace fell to the pavement, the crowd gave him a collective "Awww..." which was enough to make even the strictest major break in to a bit of a smile as he picked up his mace and tried again.

I missed most of the other contests....there was so much to do and see! The games were on Fri/Sat/Sun. My pass was only for Saturday this time, but next year I'm definitely going for all 3 days! So much fun!

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am really liking the first photograph. That captures the character wonderfully. He is eyeballing you Carol!! A great shot!

I would have suggestions for the action shots if that is ok? Either you trigger *before* he has released the mace -or- another suggestion might be to zoom in close on the subject where the mace has been *already* released and but it is not in the frame - only the drum major concentrating and waiting for gravity to do its thing :) I think that would be a cool shot that would win you the $1000 prize :)

Hahaha and I'm actually standing 100 feet away with a zoom lens. :D I love how the image makes it look like he's sneaking a gaze towards the camera.

I like your suggestions! Definitely something to experiment more with when I'm at future athletic events. I definitely want to do more sport shooting. I loved seeing the concentration on the faces of the drum majors, I'm looking forward to experimenting with shots in other sports. And next year's Highland Game of course :)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hahaha and I'm actually standing 100 feet away with a zoom lens. :D I love how the image makes it look like he's sneaking a gaze towards the camera.

I like your suggestions! Definitely something to experiment more with when I'm at future athletic events. I definitely want to do more sport shooting. I loved seeing the concentration on the faces of the drum majors, I'm looking forward to experimenting with shots in other sports. And next year's Highland Game of course :)
Nuh-uh, I know that look, he is eyeballing you Carol!! :D I bet if you had asked for a demonstration after the event you would have had a willing model! Anyway, I like your photographs even though there are never any with you in them!! :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nuh-uh, I know that look, he is eyeballing you Carol!! :D I bet if you had asked for a demonstration after the event you would have had a willing model! Anyway, I like your photographs even though there are never any with you in them!! :)

Thanks so much :asian: I prefer to be on the other side of the camera, but maybe I'll do some self portraits if I get a studio space :)

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dang, Carol. If I'd known you were at the games this year I'd have invited you to stop by the tent! Can't comment on the images, except they are better than mine. :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dang, Carol. If I'd known you were at the games this year I'd have invited you to stop by the tent! Can't comment on the images, except they are better than mine. :)

No kidding! Well, we'll have to sync up for next year....if not before then! Would love to meet you in person :)

Latest Discussions