Scientific Measurement of Qi Effects

Jade Dragon Alaska

White Belt
Reaction score
Scientific Measurement of Qi Effects

Measuring external qi (EQ or wai qi) during qigong healing, has shown shown Qi had these physical effects:
1) far-infrared,
2) heat,
3) micro-pressure detectors
4) microwave radiation,
5) significant increases in wavelength to above 10 mm,
6) significant magnetic signals,
7) sound frequency lower than 16 Hz from qigong healers at different acupuncture points.

The importance of the study is more to legitimize any Qi existance, in a scientific protocol, for outsiders.

An Analytic Review of Studies on Measuring Effects of External Qi in China by Kevin W Chen, Ph.D., M.P.H., University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey

World Institute for Self Healing, Inc. http://www.wishus.org
light 10, 11, electricity 12, heat 13, sound 14, and magnetism 15.

The first report of this type utilized a

1) Far-infrared Detector (8-14 mµ) and was published by Gu & Lin in 1978 13.
A modified far-infrared radiation was detected at a distance of 50 cm from the palm of a qigong practitioner, with variations in intensity as high as 80% at a frequency of 0.3 Hz. ...
2) AGA Thermogram Shanghai Academy of Chinese Medicine reported that when the qigong healer emitted qi to a patient, and could display the entire procedure of qi emission by reading the thermal flow moving from his arm to his palm and finally to his finger tips.
3) Ge (germanium) Micro-Pressure Detectors were placed at the distances of 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 meters from the qigong practitioner. The practitioner (Zhao) emitted qi toward the target (Ge detector) through two of his fingers. … could pinpoint the target and repeatedly produced signals on the micro-pressure detectors.
4) 8 mm microwave radiation meter, they used the near field (20-40 cm to antenna) to test the EQ effect and the far field (4 to 5 meters to antenna) as the points of reference. They conducted 50 trials, 28 of which had formal records of radiation curves. Twenty-two of these trials had significant increases in wavelength to above 10 mm during the period of qi emission.
5) significant magnetic signals (65.7%), while 11 tests detected no significant magnetic signals (34.3%). The strongest magnetic signal detected was 105 nT. More specifically, the detected direct magnetic signals ranged 2-6 x 103 nT, duration ranged 0.55 to 14 minutes; the alternative magnetic signals ranged 2 to 2.6 x 103 nT, the frequencies were around 0.16 to 0.5 Hz; pulse signals ranged 3 – 1.3 x 105 nT with frequencies of 1-2 Hz.

There was a significant difference between the typical curves of magnetic signals during qi emission by qigong practitioners, than during simulated qi emission by non-practitioners.
6) Denmark B-K Corp’s Infrasonic Sound Detector, which has a special wave filter to detect infrasonic sound at frequencies of 2 – 20 Hz. During the test, each subject was required to sit in a comfortable position, relax, and lightly close his/her eyes. The distance between the sound sensor and the testing point was at 1, 3, 5, 6, 10, and 40 cm. The tested acupoints included “Lao gong” (on the palm), “Bai hui” (on the top of the head), and “Ming men” (at center of the back near the waist). …

“Where the intent goes, the qi goes.” Infrasonic sound ...
Alternative Therapies, July/Aug 2004, VOL. 10, No.4; Analytic Review of External Qi Studies, page 38- 41.

More at: http://www.jadedragonalaska.com/scientific-qi-measurements.php

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Do yo mean Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine?

Not that it does not exist but I do not know what the "Shanghai Academy of Chinese Medicine" is.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If verifiable and reproducible (by skeptics as well as believers) this would be very interesting indeed. As far as I know, no one has managed to scientifically measure such phenomena associated with Qi before, in spite of many attempts.

Forgive my skepticism, but at the moment, this is no more than one man's claims. I'd love to see this published in a recognized, peer-reviewed journal.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If verifiable and reproducible (by skeptics as well as believers) this would be very interesting indeed. As far as I know, no one has managed to scientifically measure such phenomena associated with Qi before, in spite of many attempts.

Forgive my skepticism, but at the moment, this is no more than one man's claims. I'd love to see this published in a recognized, peer-reviewed journal.

Yep... me too!

I so wanna buy some green tights with yellow, get a black dragon tattooed on my chest & change my name to Danny Rand-Kai if that works out.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Last I know Beijing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine was researching both internal and external qi and they were trying to develope something to measure internal qi and had not been able to.

So the last I knew thier stance was extenal qi is easy to prove intenal not so easy.

The thing about all these TCM training facilities in China is that the ones that the Chinese tend to consider the best and take more seriously are places with names like "Bejing University of TCM", "Shanghai University of TCM", "(Large Chinese City Name Here) University of TCM"....

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I beleive the WHO has done some reaserch as have several Chinese Universities but the University stuff is likely in Chinese. Somewhere on MT I posted a link to the WHO stuff but I do not remember where. As to measurements I am not sure they have anything on that at all

WHO = World Health Organization

Stealthy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not really a scientific test but one night I was "Flying around the inside of my car" naturally this strangeness caused me to realise it was only a dream, around the same time I noticed a "weakness" in my car, I thought "wow, this is so weak I bet I could break this with my mind" so I put a little mental pressure(okay a lot) on it and it broke(it felt like a wire breaking). This pretty much woke me up, I thought "wow, that was strange"(a really, really cool kind of strange) and went back to sleep.

The next morning when I jumped into my car it didn't start. I was still very conscious of my dream since it was so real to me so I popped the hood and checked the spot from my dream. Sure enough a heavily rusted wire had busted off exactly where expected.

Read into this as you will but I promise it is a true story.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not really a scientific test but one night I was "Flying around the inside of my car" naturally this strangeness caused me to realise it was only a dream, around the same time I noticed a "weakness" in my car, I thought "wow, this is so weak I bet I could break this with my mind" so I put a little mental pressure(okay a lot) on it and it broke(it felt like a wire breaking). This pretty much woke me up, I thought "wow, that was strange"(a really, really cool kind of strange) and went back to sleep.

The next morning when I jumped into my car it didn't start. I was still very conscious of my dream since it was so real to me so I popped the hood and checked the spot from my dream. Sure enough a heavily rusted wire had busted off exactly where expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
J

Jade Dragon Alaska

White Belt
Reaction score
Another unrelated study is available online from the same at:
http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTOTAL-JZYB200903017.htm

This review was conducted under the guidance of professor Zhongpeng Lin of China National Academy of Qigong. The classification of measuring EQ into five categories was the idea of Prof. Lin. Denise Dehnbostel and Elasara Kling helped in a great deal to edit the manuscript. The author would also like to thank Mr. Binhui He for his support and suggestion in the process of review, and to appreciate Dr. Kenneth Sancier of Qigong Institute, Dr. Garret Yount of California Pacific Medical Center, Dr. Lian Sidorov of Emergemind.org and Dr. Larry Dossey for their helpful comments and suggestions to an earlier version of this manuscript.

This has been discussed on a number of forums and sites that have equal opportunity discussions, not slanted by cliques or advertisers; for years.

The fact that all the comments were negative; shows the prejudice and hidden agenda of this forum.

If one wants to bury their head in the sand like some ostrich and ignore it, why should I care?

This is for those that are interested in looking at it and making up their own mind:

An Analytic Review of Studies on Measuring Effects of External Qi in China [1]

Kevin W Chen, Ph.D., M.P.H.
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
World Institute for Self Healing, Inc. (http://www.wishus.org )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*. Direct correspondence to Kevin Chen, Dept of Psychiatry, UMDNJ – Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 671 Hoes Lane, D453, Piscataway, NJ 08854. Email: [email protected]

Alternative Therapies, July/August 2004, Volume 10, No. 4, Analytical Review of Qi Studies.

The Origin of Exploratory Studies on External Qi

Article can be read here

Do yo mean Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine?
Not that it does not exist but I do not know what the "Shanghai Academy of Chinese Medicine" is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
First… to be honest I am absolutely not going to read all of that… and to expect me to is ridiculous.

But I have since checked and there is or was a Shanghai Academy of Chinese Medicine that is reputable and as I said they have proven external Qi so I do not know why there was a repeat on this since my only question was about the Shanghai Academy of Chinese medicine

And lets just put all the cards on the table here and stop this nonsense

My wife is a TCM doctor and graduate of one of the top Chinese medicine schools in China and was a practicing doctor in one of the top hospitals in China and she has also worked for the WHO so please stop this silliness and read what I wrote and respond to what I asked or said and do not repeat stuff I already agreed with that was not at issue

Now I have another “Specific” question so please do not repeat the whole external qigong thing again

What is the “China National Academy of Qigong? And where is it? Because that one I cannot find anything about

As for the attestation of a guy from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey I don’t much care.

And stop cutting and pasting and start typing in your own words please

Last edited:

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wonder hypothetically...

If an accurate test is devised, and repeated research using this test concludes fairly incontrovertably that the effects of either or both internal or external Qi are negligable, how might this affect the practitioners of Qi-based arts and our view of those practitioners? Will they be uncovered as mere charlatans, con-agents or genuinely though perhaps innocently deluded?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Though that is hardly an affect of Qi my friend. Plainly that is a case of lucid dream-induced telekinesis. I suggest forgetting the car next time and focussing instead upon dream revelation of the non-randomness of lottery machine output.

;)

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, so far you've linked us to a jumble of "measurements", inconsistently claiming about a half a dozen different mechanisms, including magnetic 'pulses' roughly equal to that of the planet's natural magnetic field, a study on "Imaging analysis on factors of intervertebral foramen stenosis of nerve root cervical spondylosis", and a bunch of references that heavily include a journal that, well, includes claims like 'we broke space and time to perform genetic engineering with our minds.'

Sorry, man, nice try, but not very convincing.

Latest Discussions