Science: Marijuana Could Prevent Alzheimer's, New Study

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of my own children, two of my boys started smoking in their early teens. They were not heavy users but you always knew when they had been smoking because there level of aggression went through the roof.

Having dealt with pot smokers numerous times in my 21 years as an LEO, I have NEVER met an aggresive pot smoker..Quite opposite , they were passive and compliant..Now if that pot had been laced with another drug say LSD, yes I could see it causing a variety of mental problems..

Alcohol has just as many problems.

I must disagree..Alcohol has MORE problem because it is so readly available..Ever hear the stories of teenage alcoholic mixing cheap perfume in their cola just to make it through the mornings??.
There are people that I will not drink with because of the way alcohol effects them

This thread is heading towards solving the meaning of life!!

Not really...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are plenty of chemical compounds in skunk alone to permanently mess up someones brain - it doesn't need anything else added into it.

I know that now we're getting into 'my life experience has been xyz' territory so I don't believe that we can achieve a consensus between the two polar positons on this e.g. Drac's extensive experience as a policeman have given him one view whereas my equally extensive experience as a rocker/biker give me another.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are plenty of chemical compounds in skunk alone to permanently mess up someones brain - it doesn't need anything else added into it.

Not always...Ever buy a nickle bag only to discover it contained maybe 1% of cannibis and the rest was oregino??

I know that now we're getting into 'my life experience has been xyz' territory so I don't believe that we can achieve a consensus between the two polar positons on this e.g. Drac's extensive experience as a policeman have given him one view whereas my equally extensive experience as a rocker/biker give me another.

Prior to my putting on the badge we walked the same path my friend...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hadn't forgotten, my friend. I was just using us as an illustration that we will all have our anecdotal background to our thoughts on this and that for everyone there will be counterveiling experiences regarding what each poster puts forward. Thus making it very hard to reach a consensus.

Then again, I suppose that's true of almost every subject we talk about isn't it :). Ignore me - I've obviously been in too many meetings this morning :eek:.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We get calls from people saying that there is a group of teens smoking pot in a bus shelter and 99% of the time it one of those cheap " gangsta" cigars...My old Chief one time asked me " How did you know it wasnt pot?" "Because Sir I use to smoke in my youth", I answered...He never asked again...

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think that anyone here is saying that the hint that this study may provide evidence that Marijuana can help people with Alzhimers is encouraging anyone to TOKE.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think that anyone here is saying that the hint that this study may provide evidence that Marijuana can help people with Alzhimers is encouraging anyone to TOKE.

Actually, that's my main problem with this study. I can see a teen ager or someone else who is not very wise using this study as justification to toke. "Oh, its' only one puff, and see, it may keep me from getting Alzheimer's!" That's my main problem with it, it encourages such thinking which leads to behavior. And nobody who smokes marijuana only has one puff, they will puff and puff and puff again, and justify it by saying, "Well one puff might help me from getting Alzheimer's, maybe more will help more" So I am clearly expressing my concern that this study could lead to drug use. Than again the study could be true, it could prove to be that one puff does help stem Alzheimer's, I have my doubts...

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i don't really buy the gateway drug argument so far because if you ask most heroine users i bet they started out with tobacco before they went to pot.

really here's the short version of why i think pot prohibition is bad: because i also disagree with outlawing alcohol, guns, abortion; or taxing the hell out of cigarettes. life is full of choices & it's not up to the governement to decide for us what we should & shouldn't do.

i have seen a few people whose lives would be better off without pot. but i have never seen a pot smoker who was better off for having gone to prison.

jf

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i don't really buy the gateway drug argument so far because if you ask most heroine users i bet they started out with tobacco before they went to pot.

really here's the short version of why i think pot prohibition is bad: because i also disagree with outlawing alcohol, guns, abortion; or taxing the hell out of cigarettes. life is full of choices & it's not up to the governement to decide for us what we should & shouldn't do.

i have seen a few people whose lives would be better off without pot. but i have never seen a pot smoker who was better off for having gone to prison.

jf

I have met a few that bi-passed the whole pot culture and went right into herione..They were told that pot was for kids..

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

jf

Well, I'm not really a big fan of putting pot users in prison. I'm more for drug testing for employment which is now very common place, fines, community service and the like and drug education and treatment if necessary.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have met a few that bi-passed the whole pot culture and went right into herione..They were told that pot was for kids..

i've heard similar sentiments. "isn't so&so a little old to be smoking pot?" you're right, let's get out the bourbon & cocaine. we can't have a bunch giggley 40 year olds out there ordering pizza.

the thing is, kids are the last people who should be smoking pot. their brains are still developing & they haven't exactly mastered moderation yet. no such thing as a kid's drug, imo.

once your an adult, do what you like so long as you're not hurting anyone else.

jf

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, that's my main problem with this study. I can see a teen ager or someone else who is not very wise using this study as justification to toke. "Oh, its' only one puff, and see, it may keep me from getting Alzheimer's!" That's my main problem with it, it encourages such thinking which leads to behavior. And nobody who smokes marijuana only has one puff, they will puff and puff and puff again, and justify it by saying, "Well one puff might help me from getting Alzheimer's, maybe more will help more" So I am clearly expressing my concern that this study could lead to drug use. Than again the study could be true, it could prove to be that one puff does help stem Alzheimer's, I have my doubts...
I can understand & sympathize with your concerns about anyone's pot use because of your family's issues with it. Although you feel strongly this will not stop some from using if they want. The argument that this study will give another teen the excuse to smoke pot is far fetched, those who want to smoke will find a way or excuse. To say you have a problem with a legal medical study because IT will cause teenagers to smoke is blaming the study & not the user. It sounds to me like your opinion is the honest conclusion of this study (Which is not "Go ahead smoke up, the study says so") should not be heard because the weak willed can use it as an excuse, so this is good enough reason to ignore it outright. That sounds very Draconian to me. I understand & respect that you can express your opinion, although it sounds like you feel your (Empassioned) opinion should over rule the Medical Study's findings & its right to be heard/expressed. Am I just reading you wrong?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score

we should never be afraid to give people knowledge. the only problem there should be with a scientific study is if it's conducted unethically or if it is flat out wrong. if someone is going to rationalize smoking weed, they are going to rationalize smoking weed.

jf

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://news.aol.com/health/article/coffee-may-lower-risk-of-dementia/319476

Now they are saying the same thing may be true about Coffee... and its legal.

Swedish and Danish scientists studied 1,409 men and women for an average of 21 years, and 61 of the subjects were diagnosed with dementia. Those who said they drank from three to five cups of coffee a day were 65 percent less likely to have dementia than people who drank two cups or less, the study found. People who drank more than five cups also had a reduced risk, but that group was too small to produce any solid conclusions.
But that doesn't mean that people should start gulping coffee in hopes of warding off diseases like Alzheimer's, said Dr. Miia Kivipelto, the study's lead author. "We have no evidence that for people who are not drinking coffee, taking up drinking will have a protective effect," she told the Times

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
5 cups of coffee a day would make me poo big time :(

jf

LOL.

I dunno... I drink about a pot a day.

Oh hell... I got it... Coffee... Pot... Marijuana... its all related. LOL.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL.

I dunno... I drink about a pot a day.

Oh hell... I got it... Coffee... Pot... Marijuana... its all related. LOL.

dude, that is OUT THERE! like...coffee, pot, pot...uh...

are those cheetos?

jf

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Great another thing Cannabis is good for. If the herb has medicinal properties then it should be legalized. We have alcohol and cigarettes I don't see the problem with Cannabis if used responsibly.

Cannabis has been used for centuries without any major problems.

In fact it is used religiously in most religions as well as its use to provide the healthy hemp oil and other things of value.

Latest Discussions