School owners, question for you

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have read all the post and one thing that keeps coming to my mind is this way be with an org. that is controlling what and who you teach? I mean the A.A.U. is one of the biggest orgs out there and they in no way control anything a school owner does, That simply ask that your students become a member to beable to compete, that is a $12.00 investment that includes great insurance just in case you get hurt. School membership is an option but has alot of value for the buckm a simple membership is only $80.00 a year and give the school owner the extra insourance one needs to be productive on the floor.

When I hear you have to teach this way or you must charge this amount it makes me sick, what happen to just training for a reasonable fee abd building a foundation with the student and parent of said student? Money hungry people have really hurt all MA and will continue to do so, I remember the good TKD and I can see the bad TKD out there. Now days it is MMA that is being water down so much because almost every school has a program for it and for the most part these so called expert are learning from videos and fleecing the flock of there hard earned money. I am not bashing MMA but it is where TKD was 15 year ago and look what happen to us.

In closing I will say my loyalty stays with my students and the quality they deserve is the very best from and my instructors.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now days it is MMA that is being water down so much because almost every school has a program for it and for the most part these so called expert are learning from videos and fleecing the flock of there hard earned money. I am not bashing MMA but it is where TKD was 15 year ago and look what happen to us.
Greedy people ruin everything that they touch, no matter how good it is. Sad thing is that, as you point out, it is the highjacking of an art by those outside of it who wish to use it as an entrepreneurial opportunity or a financial enhancement for an existing business that seem to do the most obvious and widespread harm.

Those who do so from within, however, are more difficult to deal with, as they usually have the credentials and likely were the real deal at one time.

Daniel

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greedy people ruin everything that they touch, no matter how good it is. Sad thing is that, as you point out, it is the highjacking of an art by those outside of it who wish to use it as an entrepreneurial opportunity or a financial enhancement for an existing business that seem to do the most obvious and widespread harm.

Those who do so from within, however, are more difficult to deal with, as they usually have the credentials and likely were the real deal at one time.

Daniel

Daniel I would rep you but I must spead the love first.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
If choosing between an organization and my students, I choose my students.

However.

I would think long and hard about whether I was choosing between an organization and my students, or if I was choosing between my students and my ego.

Some organizations are run by stupid, poopy greedheads. Others are run by people who make decisions, policy and changes only after consideration, research, study and debate.

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To me, it would greatly depend on what issue I was choosing between. If we are talking about little Johnny and His Mommy feel he should be promoted to his next belt regardless of his meeting association standards and qualifications because they pay their tuition, then I will choose the association every time. OTOH, if the assn, had someone who was doing some ego trip at the expense of the well being of my students, then my students would come first.

I am in an unusual position on this one in many ways. The founding masters of our association have been my instructors and mentors since I was in elementary school. To me, they are part of my family and one of them helped raise me when there was a medical crisis in my own biological family. I have a level of giri/obligation/loyalty there that goes beyond words. However, my main obligation towards them is not servitude, but rather than to uphold the principles and standards thay they taught me and pass it on to the next generation (i.e. -my students). In that respect, for the most part, I can fulfill both simultaneously.

In regards to other orgs. that I belong to, the needs of my students will ALWAYS come before them, other than maintaining standards and the integrity of an org. that we belong to. IMO, if you are going to agree to play along their guidelines or rules, you need to do so or leave the org. As a multi-style/system guy, I can and have left orgs. when that I belonged to when that org. (or it's politics) were no longer in the best interests of my students.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
between organizations and parents/students where do you see your greater obligation?

I am keeping it a bit vague for now, I will put some meat into this in a little bit, but first I want to hear your untainted opinions!
Good question.

I personally feel that my primary obligation is to my students. At the same time, I owe loyalty to the organization. I've resolved some issues and conflicts by simply ignoring them and continuing to teach the way I think best in my school. Other times, I can't ignore them and they cause me problems. But like any stress/conflict situation, I will find a solution and it will be workable.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes I do advocate teaching less to kids while promoting them to black belt. Black Belt does not equal master. Obviously there is a difference in an adult black belt and a child black belt. Just like there is a difference between Peyton Manning and the quarterback of a 7-year-old flag football team, but they're both still quarterbacks.

I would disagree with you that in the "martial arts community" anyone earning a black belt in less than ten years is suspicious, or that full black belts on youngsters is a no-no. Even if it was, research Gen. Choi's explanation of black belt and the comparison to someone that has learned to read.

Because you value your tenets and don't agree with the changes means doesn't mean that anyone who agrees with them that doesn't. A couple of you have asked how a school owner supports the new curriculum. I've answered. I know I'm not going to change your mind on a message board - if you're determined that the only people who support these changes are people who prioritize money over student quality. What most of you who feel that way don't get is that improving student quality improves retention and equals more money - so there's never a situation where I have to balance long-term financial staibility with student improvement.

after reading a statement like this, I need an icepack, head hit desk a few times too many....

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
after reading a statement like this, I need an icepack, head hit desk a few times too many....
Who gets the credit for that bit of insight?

I think that he (she?) may have hit their own heads on something one too many times before making that statement.

Daniel

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who gets the credit for that bit of insight?

I think that he (she?) may have hit their own heads on something one too many times before making that statement.

Daniel

Not completely outing the originator of above quote, it's a successful school owner and high ranking BB in the organization formerly known as the ITA, the man who whole heartedly advocates all the changes implemented, even the recent half forms for kids.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL.

It was the second to last exchange I had with this guy on my forum (not linking it, but if you go there and use the 'most recent posts' features you can find it easily enough. :D)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not completely outing the originator of above quote, it's a successful school owner and high ranking BB in the organization formerly known as the ITA, the man who whole heartedly advocates all the changes implemented, even the recent half forms for kids.

Well, I think shortening the forms is a bad move, but kata is the foundation of my martial arts. All the drills and the majority of the basics I teach are found in the kata so there is a unbroken connection there.

If your forms are unconnected to the other activities conducted in class, I could see why some, like this fellow, might feel differently.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He pretty much said it was less to memorize. If that's all it's to him in his program, he might as well shorten it, or better yet, leave it all out, just cook up his drills and stuff.

I normally just smile, nod and think my part but in this case it's coupled with the attitude of superiority, anybody who does not own several schools doesn't know jack, and how success proves him right yada yada...
His condescending 'tude tho got my goat. That my admin person felt talked down upon didn't help matter: I know her personally and admire her greatly, not because she is an outstanding Martial Artist, but because she is a strong woman with a lot on her plate, a real warrior who does not deserve it.

Ok, rant over. I should not post on hot topics without my 2nd cup of joe...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He pretty much said it was less to memorize. If that's all it's to him in his program, he might as well shorten it, or better yet, leave it all out, just cook up his drills and stuff.

Indeed.

Maybe you should start up "Granfire TKD". I bet you would do a fine job at teaching TKD freed from any curricular demands foisted on you from above.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe one day I will try my hand at it.

I enjoyed teaching the kids, but I don't think I can sell this garbage with a straight face.

Oh well.

Time will tell, won't it.

Latest Discussions