Scary development: ATF redefines "manufacturing"

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"It depends on what your definition of "is" is"
Seriously, redefining some words to fit the political wants of the day lead to more words being selectively redefined.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well it is concerning as I do not want to see firearm prices rise.
icon9.gif

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
If this stands, it will deal a serious blow to the gun industry and cause prices to go way up. I hate these ****ing bastards, they're just making an "end run" to accomplish through administrative regulation what they can't do through legislation.
Pay particular attention to items 8-12, and 14
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearmstech/081508manufacturing-of-firearms.pdf

my god that is insane! so if an owner bends his own weapons bolt and puts a scope on it himself he is a "manufacturer of fire arms and master gunsmith"??!!

OP
KenpoTex

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
my god that is insane! so if an owner bends his own weapons bolt and puts a scope on it himself he is a "manufacturer of fire arms and master gunsmith"??!!
The way I'm reading it, he only needs the manufacturers license if he buys the guns for the express purpose of modifying them and selling them (however, this is something that is done by a lot of small-time dealers and 'smiths so they're going to be S.O.L. if this doesn't get shot down).

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The key ponts seem to be the words "company" and "resale". If you are cleaning up guns and reselling them as a business than expect the Gvt. to be looking at you.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You can modify your own gun. Quite legal. Add scopes, safeies, iron sights, shorten barrel, etc... as long as it's for yourself.

But do some work on a friends gun for money and you are a 'gunsmith'.

Deaf

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
my god that is insane! So if an owner bends his own weapons bolt and puts a scope on it himself he is a "manufacturer of fire arms and master gunsmith"??!!
WTF?!!!!!!!!

This is INSANE!

This is why I vote Libertarian......as soon as I convince everyone else we'll be somewhere! The first thing we do is DE-FUND the BATF!!!

Latest Discussions