Sayoc Kali

OP
R

Rommel

I just had my first experience with Sayoc Kali when I was sent to Rockland New York on a preaching assignment. I had a private lesson with a Sayoc Kali instructor named Pat Consing ([email protected]) who owns a school down there named Kapatid Martial Arts in Plesantville New York. From the 2 hours that I trained I was absolutely overwhelmed. I had studied at least 7 different Filipino martial arts in Boston, California, and the Philippines, but this was the first time that it seemed so systematic, scientific and complete. Maybe it was also due to how great an instructor Pat is, but I was duly impressed and plan to do further training in this awesome art. What I noticed was how they had studied natural human reflexes and actions down to a science so they knew 100% what a person would do next, but even if you countered their move, your still dead because they added so many surprises. I never expected him to throw the blade into my heart. You can just imagine my shock. My previous training in any art was useless against that tactic. INGENIOUS!!! And that was only my FIRST lesson. Pat was so clear and helpful and PATIENT. I felt so uncoordinated in my first lesson, but after a few hours I couldn't believe how much I picked up. I can't wait until I go down to Rockland again. Till then I'm thinking about checking out some Sayoc practicioneers here in Canada.

OP
E

Emptyglass

Arnisador:

Actuallly the Pambuan system's proper name (according to my information) is:

Pambuan Arnis Tulisan Caballero Mano-Mano

The person who might be coming to teach the seminar in your area is possibly Ama Guro Raffy Pambuan who is the current head of the system I believe. It is the Pamuban family system. Actually the aforementioned book by Mark Wiley has some information about the system's structure.

My instructor here in Maryland is one of Ama Guro Raffy's students and it is some interesting and unusual stuff. Coming from a Modern Arnis background I find it quite interesting. Alot of the same in some places and somewhat radical in others. Very educational.

If you can go to the seminar, you should give it a try. The Pambuan system covers hand, stick, knife, large blade (sword), whip and other weapons as well as combinations.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it and I'll try to answer or will ask my instructor.

Thanks,

Richard Curren

OP
E

Emptyglass

Was it Ama Guro Raffy. Florida is his home base I believe. What did you think?

Richard Curren

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe he's based out of Orlando, FL.

Cthulhu

themartiala

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking for an objective and informed opinion about Sayoc Kali in comparison to other escrima/kali/arnis methods. If you choose to reply to this please include pertinent information regarding your training experience in similar arts as well as your experience with Sayoc.

Thanks in advance.

Good evening, I really get a lot from these forums. Good reading

Latest Discussions