Sayings about the weapons

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Saw this on a FB page and wanted to hear your thoughts on it:

...old Chinese saying, "the Baat Jaam Do (Eight Cut Knives) are only heard once".

Now, I think there is a similar saying for the pole...something like "it doesn't make two sounds" or something like that.

Thoughts? Discussion?

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was taught "the pole only makes one sound"

As for the 6 1/2 points of the pole , I was taught thrust (or spear), flip, jerk up, flick, sweep, cover, and half fence, this also being the order in which they appear in our form.

sorry to jump quotes across two threads...but are you saying that one of these are needed to make the 'one sound' before counter attacking? In other words, to intercept/clear the line?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
sorry to jump quotes across two threads...but are you saying that one of these are needed to make the 'one sound' before counter attacking? In other words, to intercept/clear the line?
I've always taken this to mean the one sound is the killshot.

Mostly bravado, but also a strive for excellence.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I take it to mean that you're not going to stand there and fence with the guy.
So it might be a quick cover followed by your kill shot, or a quick flick followed by your kill shot, or it may be as simple as the killshot itself.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My thought on these statements has always been that the cover and the attack are either the same or delivered at the same time, rather than 1 + 2.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
"The pole makes only one sound" or "the pole does not make two sounds".......the sound of the defense when your pole contacts the opponent's weapon, and then the thrust ends it. The thrust makes no sound. Ideally you would just intercept with the thrust....therefore no sound! But I think that it is recognized that with the length of the pole you are likely clearing the line first with a defensive motion before you can attack. With a double weapon like the knives is it much easier to defend and attack at the same time.

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
There's a similar saying in Escrima, having to do with the way your weapon is properly swung. If done correctly, it will be one sound, if not the stick will bounce and make multiple sounds. Might not have anything to do with this, but that's the first thing that came to mind.

Latest Discussions