Saying hi from UMass Lowell/Middlesex Community College

apmarek

White Belt
Reaction score
Good Afternoon!

I just wanted to quickly introduce myself- My name is Alex and I'm a fellow martial artist who's been practicing for about 14-15 years now and finally created an account here. I currently teach students self defense utilizing the curriculum as outlined in Fairbarn's Kill or get killed, get tough and other documents. I hold a black belt in Kempo Chi Sao, and learned the F/S system from my great grandpa. Having been influenced by numerous styles in the past, I can't wait to hear what others have to say and am excited to diversify what I know even more!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Alex!

Can you tell us more about "Kempo Chi Sao"? Chi Sao is a specific training drill, most commonly used in Wing Chun. I'd never seen the term used as part of a styles name, before, but some googling shows that there is a school in Massachusetts using the name. Is that where you studied? How does it differ from other styles of American Kempo? (I'm assuming it's one of the many, many derivatives of American Kempo.)

Was your great-grandfather a WWII veteran? I didn't think there were many people teaching the F/S system after WWII ended.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Alex. :)

OP
A

apmarek

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Also kempo chi sao translates to sticky hands and teaches lots of manipulations and how to flow from one strike to the next. Kicks play an important role in it, but not as much as striking. In comparison to what my veteran great grandpa taught me, f/s is more about quick methods of ending a fight and focuses on the simple gross motor movements. I prefer the WW2 combatives when defending myself but martial arts is definitely a great addition.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! You'll find a lot of folks with a lot of different backgrounds here. Most of us consider any organized teaching about fighting, defending, etc. to be "martial arts", so the F/S stuff falls in that category for us. We love to find common ground and learn from each other - and we also love to dig in our heels and bicker senselessly when we disagree. Especially before we have our first cup of coffee. After that first cup, most of us get along much better.:cool:

Latest Discussions