Sawing off the barrel...?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lets put legalities aside here...(I don't want anyone to incriminate themselves!)

Lets speak in hypotheticals.

IF sawing the barrel down on your shootgun was legal, would you own a sawed off shootgun? What would be the benefits of having one? The disadvantages?

Your thoughts? :cool:

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since I routinely use (legally) 14" barreled shotguns.....

IMO no advantage unless on an entry gun. I like the choked down shorty's we have in service as a play gun at the range. BUT my duty shotgun carries a 20" barrel. Why? Higher magazine capacity, plain and simple.

If I were going to own a shorty (which is legal, though prohibitively regulated) I would have the barrel done right by either Scattergun Technologies or Vang-Comp. (Assuming one is paying the $200 federal transfer tax anyway you might as well have something worth owning.)

That being said the only real use, other than an entry gun, is for concealment or ease of use in a vehicle. Both have very limited civilian applications, and ther are better solutions to both problems.

Chad

S

Spud

Just out of curiosity – having such a modified firearm in your possession is a federal offense, correct?

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The legal minimum barrel length for a shotgun is 18 inches. For a rifle it is 16 inches, I think. Possessing barrels below that length is indeed a federal offense if you do not have the proper paperwork (which, as I understand it, is difficult but not impossible to obtain in most cases).

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Short barrelled weapons, like fully automatic weapons and supressors ("silencers") fall under the National Firearms Act (passed earlt last century; I want to say 1934 but I could be wrong).
Federally, one may own these items if all conditions are met- back ground check (not an instant-check; a full bore Federal investigation); payment of appropriate fees, etc.
AND the weapon must be legal in your state and municipality.

And yes Phil, it is 18" for shotguns, 16" for rifles; both need an overall minimum length as well to be legal.
NFA documentation is not impossible to get by any means; these weapons and their owners are so tightly regulated that they never turn up, um, mis-used shall we say. The bigger question, as I noted above, is are they worth the bother? Full auto is great fun, but only if someone else is buying the ammo. Shorty weapons have a place, but not one that most folks need worry about.
Now I might pony up the dollars for a good quiet .22, but they are banned at the state level where I am.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The advantage to owning a sawed off shot gun would be the ability to conceal the heavy fire power. I'm sure the spread of shot woud be altered as well. However, in a pinch, a cannon just under your coat can turn the tables in your favor.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is another question...

How drastically is the accuracy and spread effected with shortened barrels?

Also, what about sawing down the handle? Is this illegal, and how would this effect your shooting?

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The shorter the barrel, the less accurate will be your shot (and the greater the spread). Sawing down the barrel (or changing out the stock for a pistol grip) is "legal" provided the resulting weapon is still longer than the Federal minimum overall length requirement. A Mossberg Persuader with an 18" barrel and a pistol grip is legal, for example.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sharp Phil
The shorter the barrel, the less accurate will be your shot (and the greater the spread). Sawing down the barrel (or changing out the stock for a pistol grip) is "legal" provided the resulting weapon is still longer than the Federal minimum overall length requirement. A Mossberg Persuader with an 18" barrel and a pistol grip is legal, for example.

That's exactly what I did to my 870... It has an 18" barrel and a pistol grip. I have not fired it in this configuration, and am almost afraid to.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Start with ultra-light target loads and work your way up to something medium, like bird shot. You'll be fine.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Barrel length does not affect accuracy; this is a long-standing myth. Barrel length does affect sight radius, which in turn determines usable accuracy.
Pellet spread is a function of choke, or constriction at the end of the barrel. This is usually lost in short barrelled guns; hence my endorsement of certain high-end conversions above.
I dont like shooting pistol grips; you gain too muck from the stock in terms of shot to shot recovery.

As to concealment; there is no way anyone is going reliably conceal a cut down shotgun on a regular basis. If you are doing so short term I suggest you should consider another line of work
I think Paul's initial question related to civil self defense,,so let me throw this out there...
You pop off 2 rounds of buckshot in what would otherwise be a clean shoot. Assume standare OO buck for this problem. a total of 7 pellets hit your intended target, terminally incapaciting him.
How many more pellets have you launched down range? What is your responsibility for the damage or injury they cause?

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe John Derringer made that configuration famous--the short barrel with the pistol grip. With a small loop attached to the grip, the weapon could be slung around the shoulder and hung parallel to the body. The setup could be concealed under a trenchcoat and deployed with a swiveling motion. Since you can just "whip it out" these are referred to as Whippet Guns. Using one of the older pump models like the Ithaca, a lot of lead can get sprayed in a hurry. (you didn't have to re-depress the trigger with each shot, you could just hold it down and the firing pin would trip as soon as the receiver closed in the breech. The illegal sale of a similar weapon was the excuse the FBI used to attack at Ruby Ridge.

The only real advantage is needing heavy firepower while being constricted by tight corners--longer barrels would cost time in maneuvering. If I were to have such a weapon, I'd probably want it for close-quarter use in the dark--not a whole lot of aiming necessary. A 1911 would do the job just as well if not better, methinks.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
wouldn't barrell length impact accuracy because of the loss of weight to settle the weapon down as well as less surfact area to hold onto for weapon stability? I know that you can bench and accurately shoot pistols at surprisingly long ranges, but it still is more mechanically difficult to maintain consistant accuracy than with a long gun.

Paul

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but depending on your mentality of home defense, this could be a good choice (overlooking the legality issue). Very short-range accuracy (good for tight hallways), good spread (nice for low light) and less chance of over penetration (great for liability). Even the capacity might not be an issue for home defense.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like psi_radar beat me to the post.

To Loki. . . I don't think that repeat shot placment and recoil recovery are priorities when using a shot gun, unless you are duck hunting or shooting slugs.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by OULobo
Just my opinion, but depending on your mentality of home defense, this could be a good choice (overlooking the legality issue). Very short-range accuracy (good for tight hallways), good spread (nice for low light) and less chance of over penetration (great for liability). Even the capacity might not be an issue for home defense.

The only problem is that the legality issue exists, and if you do shoot someone with it, those pesky law enforcement agents are probably gonna wanna see what you did it with. Seriously tho... My shotgun, in the configuration it is in, is TINY. There is plenty of room even in a hallway, and it IS legal.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
OUlobo brought up a good point that I'd like to expand on.

Very short-range accuracy (good for tight hallways), good spread (nice for low light) and less chance of over penetration (great for liability).

The penetration aspect--I like the low penetration and quick dip in velocity of shotgun pellets to reduce any chance of bystanders or innocents getting hit.

I also like the wide variety of loads now available for shotguns, especially the non-lethal ones. Though I own a lot of guns, my morals are shifting a little bit and the lethality of bullets is starting to bother me, so it's a nice option to have rubber loads. Who knows, maybe it's a phase. :)

Latest Discussions