Saving yourself in a crush of people

D

Deleted member 39746

Looking around for some information on this, found what looks like some reasonable advice on the topic:

Ten tips for surviving a crowd crush

The advice seems to escalate from best case to worst case.

1: Keep your eyes open (i.e., pay attention to what's going on around you.
2: Leave while you can. "Don't hesitate to leave a highly congested area as soon as you feel uncomfortable."
3: Remain upright.
4: Save your breath.
5: Arms at chest level. This makes sense, to enable you to frame up and create some space.
6: Go with the flow.
7: Move away from barriers.
8: Understand the signs of density. This was interesting to me. It attempts to quantify what various densities feel like at more than 3 people per square meter.
9: in case of panic... not very helpful.
10: Help each other. A good reminder.

did we literally just post the same source within minute of each other?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been in crush crowds, both working and in my own youthful stupidity.

I vehemently disagree with one point on that list. "Keep your arms chest high." That's perfectly fine IF you're one of the tallest people in the crowd, but if you're not, they'll get pinned when you get caught in a choke point, against a wall or up against a door that pulls open instead of pushes out.

You want your hands higher, as if you were surrendering. When pinned, you'll want to use your arms to push down on the shoulders of those pinned in front and besides you. To climb yourself out, or maybe crowd surf if you have to. And if you're trying to help others, you have to be free in order to do so. Can't do it pinned.

The Problem is if you aren't alone. If you're with kids. You have to raise them up as high as you can, hold them in your arms as high as you can.

The middle of a really big crowd is not a great place to be, no matter how much you like that concert or whatever the hell else you're doing.

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think your best bet may be to build a wall of bodies around you.
No but Srsly this is a good idea
Stay relaxed and calm, no reason to panic. Not only mentally relaxed, but physically as well. It makes it easier to "bounce" off others, rolling with the impact. Don't be intimidated by the obstacles. As in aikido, flow with the energy, don't resist or fight it. Look for seams, the path of least resistance.
/QUOTE]
Yes, I like the idea of "going with the flow" or as he says "look for the path with least resistance"

Latest Discussions