Saving others isn't always a good idea?

Reaction score
I read this tragic story of a man who was stabbed to death for helping another individual during an altercation: http://www.optuszoo.com.au/channel/...71691/street-thugs-take-brave-man-s-life.html

Of course this isn't the first nor last time such stories occur. I even had a female friend who was attacked by a man and his female partner after she asked him to stop being abusive to her partner. As a person who has some antiquated and probably outdated ideas on martial arts "chivalry" and helping others, these sort of stories rather sadden me.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Its one thing to break up an attack... it's quite another to break up a fight.
Breaking up an attack is doing the right thing... breaking up a fight is none of your damned business if it's between two evenly matched adults who want to fight anyway. In that situation I just dial 9 1 and wait til the fight is over before pressing the other 1 so I know which one the ambulance has to be called for and who the police need to go after.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my HG classes, we tell our students to be a good witness and to call 911. You may not know what led to the altercation and what might happen if you intervene.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You know, sometimes being a do-gooder is not such a bright idea. So many people inject there noses into situations where they should not inject them. This one was one of them.

Yes, MA-Caver is right. If it's a 'fair' fight, and they both want to fight, get some popecorn and watch the fun.

As long as no knives or guns or such come into play, well they both wanted it and let them settle it.

Deaf

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
... and the three brave young bucks responsible shot through to Thailand the next day.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, my prayers go out to this mans family. Second, this is exactly the reason why I personally do not advocate getting involved in something. This man would have been better off, and would probably be alive today, had he called the police. I know this topic has come up in other threads, with some saying that they'd get involved. That fine, if thats what you want to do, as long as you're willing to accept the consequences.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Its one thing to break up an attack... it's quite another to break up a fight.
Breaking up an attack is doing the right thing... breaking up a fight is none of your damned business if it's between two evenly matched adults who want to fight anyway. In that situation I just dial 9 1 and wait til the fight is over before pressing the other 1 so I know which one the ambulance has to be called for and who the police need to go after.
Here is a brief overview from a local radio station website:
Good Samaritan Luke Mitchell lost his life saving a stranger from a brutal bashing in Brunswick early on Sunday morning.

Mr Mitchell saw a man being assaulted by three Asian men around 2am on Sunday morning near the Spot Nightclub on Sydney Road and after trying to help the man he was struck with a broken pram.

He and his friends then left and went to a nearby 7-11 store, unaware they were being followed.

A car with four Asian men pulled up and two of the men got out of the car before stabbing him five times and repeatedly kicking him while he was on the ground.

Despite please from Mr Mitchell's friends the attackers kept assaulting him before eventually fleeing in the car.

Mr Mitchell passed away several hours later after surgery at Royal Melbourne Hospital failed to save him.
Under those circumstances, tell me you wouldn't help the guy being attacked.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
My sister is a social worker, and reglarly visits problem areas, talking with people and helping where needed.

She tells me that guys should never ever try to break up a fight or prevent it, or they will get beaten up by both of the fighters.
Otoh, she (barely making 1.5 m) can step right in between them and the fighting will stop, or perhaps there won't be a fight. The reason is that in those areas (and certainly with witnesses) noone will hit a small woman.
That is considered the ultimate low thing to do, and the person doing so would end up on the sidewalk minus his teeth.
This gives both people the opportunity to stand down and save face, because there is little else they can do and save face.

Old guys can do the same if they are known AND respected by all parties, preferably being a generation older than the fighters.
Young guys in the same age category as the fighters... can try different strategies (involving talking), none of which are risk free and might end badly for themselves.

I know it won't make much sense on a martial arts forum, but the way my sister explained it, the best defense in some situations is to be (or at least appear)defenseless.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know where your sister lives .
But in some parts of Australia these days , they would be more likely to break your sisters nose , as their mates stand around laughing and recording it on their mobile phones and then put it up on You tube.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Belgium. Note that she is well known in her neighborhood, and people will generally have a good or bad opinion about a social worker. Being one of the 'good' ones in your area is a good thing.

She also has the 'everybody's little sister' factor playing in her favor.
And if there are problems, then the persons involved are way beyond the childishness of 'happy slapping'. All in all, she is quite safe.

My sister is also extremely good at reading people and situations.
For her last holiday, she spent a couple of weeks in thailand (I think it was thailand). Not in the tourist traps, but just among the people, talking with people, playing and talking with street kids in bad neighborhoods.

Alone.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm glad that your sister is safe , the problem as I see it in Australia is lenient court sentences , and juvenile detention centres and gaols that are more like holiday resorts . The scumbags know that even if they get caught they won't be doing hard time anyway more like a slap on the wrist.

Another thing is that there is just no respect anymore , not for property , for old people , for women , or for the police . When I was a young guy I was afraid of the police , these days young people swear at them and will even take a swing at them.