Saving antique Photographs

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have several family photos which dated from 1900's to the 1950's that are fading from existence... are there any techniques that could stop or reduce the fading? I am planning on scanning them for the future, but the originals are very sentimental and I would love to hold on to them.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Photos are on paper and paper degrades, your best bet is to scan them as large and in as high a quality you possibly can so if you want to restore them you have a lot of information to work with. Till then I advise storing them flat in a dark place with acid free paper between each photo and leave them there till you are going to do the work on scanning.

OP
O

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you both for the information....

So much for the magical potion to bring them back....

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Well you could wave your wand and use illustrus reparo spell... that has about as much effect as waving a stick.

What Omar suggested is probably your best bet. Light will degrade photo images and so following the suggestion on the link Bob provided will help as well.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

A magical potion will not bring them back, but someone skilled with Photoshop can recolor a scanned image. Just in the post-production, I was able ot recolor a few of my images that mother nature washed out...here's an example:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1292599&postcount=10

There are options, but whichever option you choose, I would highly recommend scanning them as soon as possible. :asian:

OP
O

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I will begin the scanning process very soon.. again thanks to all for the information..

OP
O

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well you could wave your wand and use illustrus reparo spell... that has about as much effect as waving a stick.

What Omar suggested is probably your best bet. Light will degrade photo images and so following the suggestion on the link Bob provided will help as well.

Already tried the stick... blew up in my face