savate

OP
G

Gilbey

Modern Savate is an excellent combat sport, with some elements of the earlier martial art remaining. However, some savateurs are also actively restoring the older (1860s > early 1900s) streetfighting elements, which were preserved in a number of books written by savate masters at the time. These included walking-stick fighting, knife defense, improvised weapons, dirty grappling, etc.

See http://www.savateaustralia.com/ for online copies of some of the early combat manuals, essays, pix and modern applications.

Gilbey

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Very interesting!!

It agree, Savate is a very combat oriented art.

I was also told by my Prof that in Belgium trends are being formed such as teaching Fencing along side Savate with other elements (I can't remember the others... darn) to emulate a more complete learing system. WE haven't had the pleasure at my local gym, but I definately would not complain... hehe.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

arnisador said:
I think so--I no longer recall for certain!

oh ok. Sorry for the super late reply. I didn't notice that it was posted solong ago. :uhyeah:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
twinkletoes said:
the names Daniel Duby and Salem Assli immediately come to mind.

Yes, those are the big ones for Savate. It seems like everyone I've ever met who knew Savate had trained under Mr. Assli.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wikipedia entry for Savate:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savate

In competitive savate, there are four allowed kinds of kicks, and three kinds of punches.

Kicks:
1. fouette (whip kick), high, medium or low
2. chasse (piston-action kick), high, medium or low
3. revers (sole of the shoe makes contact), side or front
4. coup de pied bas (sweeping kick), low

Punches
1. jab (lead hand)
2. cross (rear hand)
3. hook (bent arm)

This seems a short list, even given that the 4 kicks would be counted as rather more than that in most Oriental systems. Also, no uppercut or overhand punches?

Latest Discussions