Sand or water

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to be a science nerd, but sand IS frozen unless you're at blast furnace temperatures.

Sand is frozen? How does that work then when I'm lying on it in the South of France?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sand is frozen? How does that work then when I'm lying on it in the South of France?

Sand is a solid, which means it is technically the frozen form of what the material would be if in liquid or vapor form.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score

The melting point of quartz is 1650 C (3000 F), so it's frozen at South-of-France temperatures, even though water isn't also frozen at South-of-France temperatures.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sand is a solid, which means it is technically the frozen form of what the material would be if in liquid or vapor form.
That's informative, thank you.

The melting point of quartz is 1650 C (3000 F), so it's frozen at South-of-France temperatures, even though water isn't also frozen at South-of-France temperatures.

That is not understandable by lay people, sorry.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is why the post started with "not to be a science nerd, but..."

but it didn't have anything to do with using water or sand as the OP asked decades ago................... He's probably worn the BOB out by now whatever he used.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
but it didn't have anything to do with using water or sand as the OP asked decades ago................... He's probably worn the BOB out by now whatever he used.

It did however have something to do with a previous message, about leaving space when filling with water to allow for expansion if/when it freezes (just in case you didn't know, water expands as it freezes, not as it melts from ice - during the freeze is when pipes burst...)

You don't need to leave space with sand, because it's already frozen.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It did however have something to do with a previous message, about leaving space when filling with water to allow for expansion if/when it freezes (just in case you didn't know, water expands as it freezes, not as it melts from ice - during the freeze is when pipes burst...)

You don't need to leave space with sand, because it's already frozen.

Well that's simple don't have it in a place where it's going to freeze.... if you are buying something to train with you don't leave it to get frozen unless you want an excuse not to train.

I imagine the OP has long forgotten he's posted on here, and the BOB is long gone as well.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well that's simple don't have it in a place where it's going to freeze.... if you are buying something to train with you don't leave it to get frozen unless you want an excuse not to train.

One of my heavy bags lives outside all year round - a few weeks ago I was barefoot in the snow.

Wasn't even that bad after the first few minutes :D

No excuses innit ;)

I imagine the OP has long forgotten he's posted on here, and the BOB is long gone as well.

Probably, but y'know, chat.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my heavy bags lives outside all year round - a few weeks ago I was barefoot in the snow.

Have you seen what frostbitten toes look like? It's amazingly difficult to walk without toes.
Btw I learnt quite early what frozen water does to pipes etc, you didn't imagine I lived to my sixties without knowing that did you? :rolleyes:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you seen what frostbitten toes look like? It's amazingly difficult to walk without toes.

I don't think that half an hour at a time, doing a blood flow encouraging activity, in 6" of snow, in southern England, 20 yards from a warm house is really putting me at much risk of frostbite.

Btw I learnt quite early what frozen water does to pipes etc, you didn't imagine I lived to my sixties without knowing that did you? :rolleyes:

From my experience, the very vast majority of people (of any age) firmly believe that frozen pipes get burst when the ice in them thaws and not when they freeze - because things contract as they get cold and expand as they warm up.

Of course, some people believe there are two moons orbiting the earth too - because how else could people in Australia see the moon when we can see it from England? o_O

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
So the obvious solution is to fill your Bob with molten lava. Not only will it stabilize the thing, it will toughen up your knuckles like nothing else!(provided they don't melt off first)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From my experience, the very vast majority of people (of any age) firmly believe that frozen pipes get burst when the ice in them thaws and not when they freeze - because things contract as they get cold and expand as they warm up.

Er no, perhaps the people you know!

I don't think that half an hour at a time, doing a blood flow encouraging activity, in 6" of snow, in southern England, 20 yards from a warm house is really putting me at much risk of frostbite.

Certainly you can get the first stages of frostbite in those conditions have you never had that feeling of pins and needles in your hands and toes when you've got cold and warmed up? That's called frost nip.

You have a very low opinion of people's intelligence and knowledge, it's quite disheartening how little you think of people. I know of no one who thinks there are two moons not even children think that.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Or Put some anTi freeze in it. The guy probably walking around with a walking frame now, dreaming of when he could stand on one leg and kick his Bob over, wOnder if it's up for sale?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or Put some anTi freeze in it. The guy probably walking around with a walking frame now, dreaming of when he could stand on one leg and kick his Bob over, wOnder if it's up for sale?
Shoot him a PM. You never know. I see tons of unused exercise equipment on Craigslist.

Latest Discussions