San Soo

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could help me find a description of the body of knowledge/curriculum in San soo.
Thanks for any help.
Your Brother
John

S

Straight Blast

Does anyone know anything about the art San Soo? It's offered in the area where I live, It looks interesting, but I've never heard of it and don't know if it is really effective. Any info anyone has would be great

S

Straight Blast

I'm looking for the same thing. I never really heard of the art, thought I might give it a try. I'm to old for grappling, can't keep up with the 20 year olds. So I'm looking for something effective and to the point.

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For descriptions and history, type San Soo into Google, you will find plenty (and they all seem to say the same thing).

I have trained in San Soo some, and will give you a brief rundown... Claims to be 4000 years old, from the Kwan Yin monastery's - brought to the US by Grandmaster Jimmy Woo, and afterward all the temple practitioners were killed by invading Japanese - leaving Jimmy as the sole practitioner...

Whether or not this is truth or fiction doesn't matter much to me - the style is primarily composed of solid, effective, self defense technique, with a series of "Dance forms" that help teach postures, tools, and stances. It is ususally a non-competative style that focuses on real self defense, and ignores sparring. They do not use the Animal Styles that many Chinese styles use, but rather attempt to focus on techniques based on physiology...

So it depends on what you are looking for, I guess... My primary style is Self Defense oriented (though it is an Animal Fighting Styles system), and from my perspective, San Soo bears looking into - I say try it for 6 months and see if it seems to be going in the direction you wish to travel (course, that is my standard recommendation for people who express interest in any style...)

Hope it helps...

SB

S

Straight Blast

I've located two instuctors in my area and I'm going to give it a try